Disable Attachment Downloads?

Cal Brabandt

Aug 12, 2022, 6:23:02 PMAug 12
to pat-users
I'm using HF (ardopc) and pat. Someone just emailed a 50+ kB pdf file attachment to me. My error and retry rates, after the already slow 300 baud FCC limitation and protocol overhead, makes downloading large files nonviable on the HF bands.

Other than limiting maximum message size in my winlink.org account settings, is there a way to disable file attachment downloads?

The problem with limiting maximum message size is it will prevent the deliver of the much smaller text portion of the message too.

From my winlink.org logon page:

Maximum message size bytes
Entering a number (120000 bytes or less) will prevent delivery of messages greater than this value. This is the compressed message size, including all attachments. If left blank, messages up to the maximum system limit of 120K bytes will be delivered. This is useful to manage on-air transfer times as needed.

Thanks,
Cal -- AD8Q

LA5NTA

Aug 14, 2022, 3:21:40 AMAug 14
to pat-users
Hi Cal,

The FBB/B2F ("winlink") protocol does not allow this unfortunately. A station either accept the message or they don't, and you get all or nothing.

The protocol is however smart enough to transfer the smallest messages first, so I suggest you instruct the sender to send large attachments in separate messages ;-)

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin

MJ Inabnit

Aug 14, 2022, 6:02:18 PMAug 14
to pat-...@googlegroups.com

One other thing to mention is that many nets use attachments during nets
(eg ICS forms.)

73

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Don VA7QU Poaps

Aug 14, 2022, 7:47:51 PMAug 14
to MJ Inabnit, pat-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, If you notice that Templates are not PDF files. About 10 years ago. A Texas ham gave the recipe to send PDF files etc. He used Ifran. (I forget the full name of the program and Ham Callsign) He imported the PDF file into the program. He then exported the file as a TIFF file. He then attached the TIFF file in a message. This was before Templates, ARDOP, and Vara.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va...@winlink.org
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pat-users/48086448-2656-4d80-4124-eab91e00c0c9%40arrl.net.

Cal Brabandt

Aug 16, 2022, 12:40:41 AMAug 16
to pat-users
>One other thing to mention is that many nets use attachments during nets
>(eg ICS forms.)

>73

But I don't think the entire ICS form is sent  as an attachment, j.

Someone please correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think forms in Winlink and Pat work like they work in fldigi/flamp/flmsg, though I've not checked to verify. A blank form must be in the user's ICS form cache and only a relatively small (compared to a fully form) is sent as an .xml attachment to populate the form. (A populated form gets reassembled on the receiving end.)

73

-Cal AD8Q