Path in macOS

Keith Kaiser

Jul 8, 2021, 12:48:48 PM7/8/21
to pat-users
In macOS Big Sur (v11.3) what is the proper path to pat? Mine is in;
 /Users/keithkaiser/.wl2k

But I’m seeing reference, for example that the Standard Forms are supposed to be in;
/home/keithkaiser/.wl2k

These are two different places. Can someone help me understand?

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Take a look at: https://net-control.us
Then consider joining: https://groups.io/g/NCM

Chris Keller

Jul 8, 2021, 1:34:04 PM7/8/21
to Keith Kaiser, pat-users
Ruh roh! That sounds like my problem, I put together the code to have a default path for forms but didn't test on Mac. Rookie mistake! I'll take a look today when I'm able.

For now you should be able to explicitly set your forms path in pat configure.

Dr. Torsten Harenberg

Jul 8, 2021, 1:35:46 PM7/8/21
to Keith Kaiser, pat-users
Hi Keith,

Am 08.07.21 um 18:48 schrieb Keith Kaiser:
> In macOS Big Sur (v11.3) what is the proper path to pat? Mine is in;
>  /Users/keithkaiser/.wl2k

this is how home directories are called on Mac OS

> But I’m seeing reference, for example that the Standard Forms are
> supposed to be in;
> /home/keithkaiser/.wl2k

this is how it would be on Linux.

> These are two different places. Can someone help me understand?

So /Users/keithkaiser/.wl2k should be correct in your case.

HTH, 73s

Torsten DL1THM

C. Matthew Curtin

Jul 9, 2021, 8:27:17 AM7/9/21
to Keith Kaiser, pat-users
On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Keith Kaiser <wa0...@gmail.com> wrote:
In macOS Big Sur (v11.3) what is the proper path to pat? Mine is in;
 /Users/keithkaiser/.wl2k

But I’m seeing reference, for example that the Standard Forms are supposed to be in;
/home/keithkaiser/.wl2k

These are two different places. Can someone help me understand?

In Unix derivatives including MacOS and Linux your home directory is defined in the directory of users. The historical location for this is the /etc/passwd file, though at least since the 1990s there have been various directory services available and current MacOS uses Open Directory to determine the home directory.

Such systems provide an environment variable, specifically $HOME, that should always be set to the proper home directory.

As a result, you should on any such system to be able to refer to your .wl2k directory as $HOME/.wl2k. On Linux, the variable will expand out and point to .wl2k directory to be /home/keithkaiser/.wl2k (assuming that's your username on Linux, and your home directory is under /home/ and matches your username -- which is the typical case), where on MacOS, the variable will expand making your .wl2k directory reference /Users/keithkaiser/.wl2k.

Does that make sense?

Chris already said that he'd take a look at it so there's the authoritative answer, but for the sake of understanding what's going on, I just did a quick peek at the source and see that the location for the forms comes from forms_path in the JSON config. I suspect that if you look at your config.jason you'll find a line that looks like
   "forms_path": "/home/keithkaiser/.wl2k"

The fix for your installation might be as simple as changing /home to /Users in that line.

After I typed all that I decided to upgrade and look to see what happens on my Debian machine. It didn't do anything to my config.json file so I had to put the line in but now it works.

Also, the forms look great!

--
C Matthew Curtin  Columbus Ohio USA