Re: Digest for pat-users@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Cal Brabandt

Aug 14, 2022, 1:22:32 PM8/14/22
to pat-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for your response to my question, Martin. I guess the protocol behavior of sending smaller messages first somewhat addresses the issue. At least in an Internet-down situation, communications would be possible until one's Inbox fills up and the station stops accepting messages. I don't know when that limit would be hit but probably not for a long time--particularly if the Internet is down. I think the bigger concern would be finding a clear and operational HF station, given all the traffic competing for access while the band is "open."

I have set a pretty strict limit for download size so I won't tie up a station while I sit around wondering how large any prolonged download in progress might be before I must give up and force a disconnect. My understanding about Pat/Winlink forms is that, as is common practice in digital radio, only the contents of the form are sent (via xml) but the form is accessed from a user's local form cache to produce a completed form for viewing on the receiving end.

73
Cal -- AD8Q

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM <pat-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
LA5NTA <martin.h...@gmail.com>: Aug 14 12:21AM -0700

Hi Cal,

The FBB/B2F ("winlink") protocol does not allow this unfortunately. A
station either accept the message or they don't, and you get all or nothing.

The protocol is however smart enough to transfer the smallest messages
first, so I suggest you instruct the sender to send large attachments in
separate messages ;-)

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin
You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.