Ubuntu 22.04

Shelgeyr

Apr 12, 2022, 1:24:40 PM4/12/22
to pat-users
Just a heads up for PAT users, PAT is included in the repository for ubuntu 22.04, but has been renamed pat-winlink.

Installing pat from the downloaded .deb will work until an apt update is run witch will replace the downloaded binary with pat-winlink

Took me a couple of days to figure out what was going on.

MJ Inabnit

Apr 12, 2022, 4:07:29 PM4/12/22
to pat-...@googlegroups.com

Few questions:

Is ubuntu 22.04 released?

what version of pat or pat-winlink is it?

Does that also bring in ARDOP?

I am planning to update my laptop here and I'm fine if it works.

Thanks! 73

Jaye ke6sls
--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Shelgeyr

Apr 13, 2022, 9:13:45 AM4/13/22
to pat-users
I think it is scheduled for release on the 21st, I have been using the daily builds and now the beta for a month or so.

This lists the version  (0.12.1-1) and included files, ARDOP is not included in either the package or the depends, nor is there a package that provides ARDOP (that I could find).  I currently don't use it on the setup I have on jammy.

Masen KF7HVM

May 2, 2022, 5:08:02 PM5/2/22
to pat-users
Some observations with Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish and pat 0.12.1-1:

* The ubuntu package (-1) is not built with ax25 support, so it doesn't work with packet winlink (this might be a legit bug for the packager)
  * There is no pactor support (appears to be removed on purpose)
  * The main binary name is changed to `pat-winlink` [https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=994822]
* The ubuntu package (-1) will automatically upgrade over the developer's debian package by default!
* The command `apt-mark hold pat` can be used to avoid automatically updating to the Ubuntu package.

For these reasons, I prefer to use the developer's version of the package; I might consider the distro package if they fix ax25 support.

Unfortunately last weekend, I had done a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04, downloaded pat .deb from github and got everything set up for a training exercise on Saturday... except when I started pat it said command not found: /usr/bin/pat; to my horror, ubuntu automatically updated my pat installation overnight, breaking it in the process (no ax25 support). I couldn't participate in the exercise with that machine until I found internet access and re-downloaded pat from github releases.

Now I make a point to `apt-mark` everything that I manually install.

-Masen