PAT support PR-7800 Pactor 4

Jeff VA2SS

Apr 6, 2024, 8:44:54 PMApr 6
to pat-users
Hi folks,

After 3 full years… I am tired of Winlink and VARA HF running Windows exclusive, or running them is a so called VM or by using Wine or any other workaround the clock solution. I tried all that… works… reliable… baahhh… OK, but I would like to get rid of Windows.

I already tried successfully PAT a few times on my MacBook Pro M1 Max with VARA HF running under CrossOver… ….. But I really seeking for the support status as of 2024 for SCS Pactor 4 7400 or 7800 digital modem.

Are they now fully supported within PAT? Even if it is under Linux or Mac OS… I found a lot of started discussion in this group back from 2020-2022….

So is there anybody using successfully a 7400 or 7800 Pactor 4 on PAT  under Linux or Mac OS on a regular basis and having a great success ??

 I will be heading to Hamvention next month… and it will be great moment to bring some new gears…. like a 7800. :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.

73 de Jeff | VA2SS

Martin Hebnes Pedersen

Apr 7, 2024, 12:26:32 AMApr 7
to Jeff VA2SS, pat-users
Hi Jeff,

Yes, support for P4 Dragon modems was added back in Sept 2020 in the v0.10.0 release :)

I haven't tested it myself, but hopefully someone with experience can comment here aswell.

AFAIK it should work on the native macOS builds of Pat, as well as Linux and Windows.

Torsten Harenberg is the author of our Pactor driver. He's usually active on this forum :)

Hope you're able to get your hands on a modem. In the meantime Peter LaRue's new ARDOP fork (ardopcf) is showing good results. This is a OSS HF modem that runs natively on Linux. There is no macOS support currently AFAIK, but you can run it on a small Rpi or in a VM with Linux.

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin

Torsten Harenberg

Apr 7, 2024, 6:04:51 AMApr 7
to Jeff VA2SS, pat-users
Hi Jeff,

I have my DR-7800 working with Pat all the time - mostly on Linux (x86 and Raspberry Pis), but lately I use it mostly on my ChromeOS tablet (ultra portable). I just haven't t had the opportunity to get hold on an ARM (aka "Apple Silicon") Mac, but I recently got a new MacBook Pro. I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well (the underlying serial module should be capable of running on ARM mac thanks to patches Martin sent to the author already a while ago).

I'm currently on a business trip, so cannot test that right away, but I'm sure that we'll get this to work - if it doesn't already run out of the box.

Cheers and have a great Sunday

  Torsten DL1THM

Justin Overfelt

Apr 7, 2024, 12:44:29 PMApr 7
to pat-users
I don't have a 7800 but I use Pactor 3 with Pat on Linux regularly with a PTC-IIex modem. Works great!
I assume the command set is basically the same.

-Justin AB3E

Torsten Harenberg

Apr 7, 2024, 12:55:08 PMApr 7
to pat-users
07.04.2024 18:44:31 Justin Overfelt <jove...@gmail.com>:

> I don't have a 7800 but I use Pactor 3 with Pat on Linux regularly with a PTC-IIex modem. Works great!
> I assume the command set is basically the same.

Thanks Justin for the positive feedback.

Indeed the command set is the same, the "Dragons" just need a non-standard baud rate as described here:

https://github.com/harenber/ptc-go/wiki#supported-hardware

I tested that on an x86 Mac, where it worked fine. Just haven't tried the same with the newer ARM based Macs.

BTW, I also tested the newer "ALE" firmware, which also worked (without using the ALE features of course). Just in case someone's using it and doesn't want to flash the modem all the time.

Cheers

  Torsten DL1THM

Matt Gibson

Apr 8, 2024, 12:03:08 PMApr 8
to pat-users
Hi everyone, I have an Apple M2 MAX silicon- if anyone out there has an extra PACTOR modem they want to get rid of or donate please let me know and I'll hook it up to PAT and test away! It's on my list of things to do.

K4MJG
Matt
Tampa, FL

Jeff VA2SS

Apr 9, 2024, 2:29:12 PMApr 9
to pat-users
OK thanks everyone who answered. I will consider this when I will be at Hamvention next month.

Best regards. 73 de Jeff | VA2SS