PAT and sound card TNC with DireWolf

Waldek Waldek

Oct 3, 2016, 3:14:20 AM10/3/16
to pat-users
Hi

Is it possible use sound card TNC modem created from DireWolf software [ https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf ]???

73 Waldek

Martin Hebnes Pedersen

Oct 3, 2016, 3:42:46 AM10/3/16
to pat-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Waldek!

Yes, but currently only on Linux. You have to configure an axport and
use the ax25:/// transport schema for Pat.

https://github.com/la5nta/pat/wiki/AX25-Linux

In short - Start direwolf with the -p option and kissattach to the pts
(/dev/pts/x) and you should be good to go :)

--
73 de LA5NTA

VA7YAK

Jan 30, 2018, 10:55:56 PM1/30/18
to pat-users
Hi Martin:
I am trying to use pat on a linux system with direwolf.
It is with a Yaesu FT-857D radio. There is a CAT cable between the laptop and the radio.
There is a USB/serial cable that goes to an EasyDigi device (audio isolation, no soundcard)
I have used udev rules to symlink /dev/Cat_Cable and /dev/USB_DB9
I can get/set frequencies and key the radio via rigctl on /dev/Cat_Cable
Pat interactive shows the radio frequency and I can change frequencies too.

I have started ax25 with systemctl and ps ax shows kissattach on /dev/USB_DB9

/etc/ax25/axports has wl2k VA7YAK 9600 255 7 Winlink

/etc/default/ax25 has AXPORT=wl2k DEV=/dev/USB_DB9

~/.wl2k/config.json has
 "ax25": {
    "port": "wl2k",
    "beacon": {
      "every": 3600,
      "message": "Winlink P2P",
      "destination": "IDENT"
    },
    "rig": "my857"

When you say
  In short - Start direwolf with the -p option and kissattach to the pts
(/dev/pts/x) and you should be good to go :)

what is x in /dev/pts/x ?

When I try pat connect:///VA7QFD-10 it times out.
I get no sound if I unplug the audio out plug from the laptop's headphone jack.
The radio's PTT is not keyed up

Thanks for any help,
Alan

VA7YAK

Jan 31, 2018, 4:10:34 PM1/31/18
to pat-users
okay I figured out the /dev/pts/x (it is printed out by direwolf -p) and I put it in /etc/default/ax2h; then start kissattach

Now direwolf is printing the contents of incoming packets, so I know audio is getting from the radio to direwolf.

When I run pat connect ax25:///VA7QFD-10 direwolf shows outgoing packets but with an audio level of 1
PTT is not keyed nor does it key if I use the radio's VOX

So audio in is ok but audio out is not?? (of course I varied laptop's audio output level control)

VA7YAK

Jan 31, 2018, 8:05:29 PM1/31/18
to pat-users

My laptop has two headphone jacks. When I put headphones into the second jack, I hear tones.
When I type pat connect ax25:///VA7QFD-10 , hit carriage return, and manually key the microphone, then my burst goes over the air and VA7QFD responds.
So I just need to figure out PTT.
rigctl -m 122 -r /dev/Cat_Cable -s 4800 T 1 keys the PTT just fine.

Any suggestions on how to get Pat to key the radio?

LA5NTA

Feb 1, 2018, 6:07:40 AM2/1/18
to pat-users
Hi Alan,

sorry for the late reply. I am glad you are making progress :-)

Pat can't control PTT for Direwolf since there is no way for Pat to know when Direwolf needs the radio to key up. You must set up Direwolf to key up the radio directly

Hope this helps. Good luck!

--
73 de LA5NTA/Martin

VA7YAK

Feb 2, 2018, 10:03:52 PM2/2/18
to pat-users
Hi Martin:
Thanks for the info. Now that I have direwolf keying PTT and I can see the rapid back & forth packets, I understand why Pat cannot control PTT.

I'm not sure if anyone is using direwolf, but I wrote a perl script to modify DEV= in /etc/default/ax25 with the name of the pseudo device that direwolf -p creates.

It wasn't immediately obvious how to add connect aliases to config.json until I typed values into the browser Action/Connect dialog.

Is there need for a Pat FAQ? That's something I could do.

LA5NTA

Feb 3, 2018, 5:15:32 AM2/3/18
to pat-users
Hi Alan, glad it worked out for you.

Have you checked out the wiki @ https://github.com/la5nta/pat/wiki? It has an Install FAQ and some other resources, but I would love to see more info added.

If you are willing to contribute, that would be very much appreciated! A general FAQ could be a nice addition to the wiki if we have enough content, but how about writing a section about Direwolf in the AX.25 on Linux page? If you create a gist containing your perl script, then you could link to it somewhere in the direwolf section... I imagine that could be useful for many users.

The wiki should be open for modification by any GitHub-user. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Thank you for offering to contribute!

--
73 de LA5NTA/Martin

VA7YAK

Feb 3, 2018, 10:37:11 AM2/3/18
to pat-users
Hi Martin:

I have looked at the wiki and it doesn't have much detail imho.
For example, I want to try pat peer to peer. I cannot find an example. So I will start pat interactive and use trial and error.

I will proceed with the FAQ.
Al

Andrew Cornuelle

Nov 11, 2018, 4:05:48 PM11/11/18
to pat-users
Trying to get pat to work on my GalliumOS (chromebook-based linux). getting this error.

my direwolf:
$ direwolf -p
Dire Wolf version 1.5

Reading config file direwolf.conf
Audio device for both receive and transmit: default  (channel 0)
Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 44100 sample rate.
Note: PTT not configured for channel 0. (Ignore this if using VOX.)
Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/1
Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/1
Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...

my kissattach:
$ sudo kissattach /dev/pts/1 wl2k
kissattach: Error setting line discipline: TIOCSETD: Invalid argument
Are you sure you have enabled MKISS support in the kernel
or, if you made it a module, that the module is loaded?

kb3...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2018, 8:28:59 PM11/26/18
to pat-users
Chrome kernel does not support AX25. You will have to go with a mainline kernel or build your own.
I learned the hard way with Arch ARM on Hisense C11 Chromebook where i initially reused the onboard Chrome kernel. Finally built an image with the mainline ARCH kernel and AX25 works very well.

73 Kevin K3TL