Message precedence support in Pat

C. Matthew Curtin

Jul 6, 2021, 7:37:40 AM7/6/21
to pat-...@googlegroups.com
I've recently started handling messages where message precedence becomes very important. (Weather Alert Project 21, see https://www.blackswancomex.org/2021/weather-alert-project-21 for details on the project and https://groups.io/g/QTC/message/495 for the latest on precedence we're generating.)

It looks like Pat has no awareness of message precedence. Not only do messages with higher precedence posted while connected not move ahead, but even when they're all already posted at the time that connection is made, even routine (R) messages go ahead of even Flash (Z).

Before I crawl into the code to see what it would take to manage precedence, might someone confirm that this isn't work already being done, or if it has, where I might start looking to get in sync?

--
C Matthew Curtin  Columbus Ohio USA

Jim Weisgram KJ7DMV

Jul 6, 2021, 2:53:39 PM7/6/21
to C. Matthew Curtin, pat-users
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the Winlink site compares has a page that compares different clients.

Pat is shown to not support message precedence. Winlink Express is 1 of 2 clients that does.

Get ready to GO!

>> Jim

Chris Keller

Jul 9, 2021, 2:51:35 PM7/9/21
to Jim Weisgram KJ7DMV, C. Matthew Curtin, pat-users
I don't think this is in progress yet, we don't appear to have any GitHub issue open on message priority. I started one here: https://github.com/la5nta/pat/issues/261. If you feel up to it, we'll definitely take a pull request! At least on the surface, this doesn't sound too difficult (famous last words...)

Chris Keller

Jul 17, 2021, 4:58:30 PM7/17/21
to Jim Weisgram KJ7DMV, C. Matthew Curtin, pat-users
Matthew,

I have opened https://github.com/la5nta/wl2k-go/pull/64 which should resolve the issue. Of course, it will take a little time to get it integrated and released, but it should help your use case.

Chris, K0SWE