Pat-gensio 0.3 , Pat with built-in AX25 support, avalable for download

Corey Minyard

May 20, 2022, 10:05:38 PM5/20/22
to pat-users
No functional changes, no bug fixes (to AX25), even.  This has been stable for me for a while.  Just updating to a released version of gensio.

If you download and use this, please give feedback, positive or negative, here.

This is a version of Pat with built-in AX25 support, so you don't have to go through the buggy and hard to set up Linux kernel driver.  It also works on Windows.  It should work on Mac and BSD, too, though I don't have binaries for those.  If anyone would wish to provide binaries, that would be great.

You can also cancel a connection before the initial connect is done, which had been an annoyance to me.

You can download the binaries, as before, from https://github.com/cminyard/pat/releases/tag/gensio-0.3

The build works similar to a normal Pat build if you want to build it yourself.  Go to https://github.com/cminyard/pat/tree/gensio-work and scroll to near the bottom  under the "Pat with native AX.25" label.  This will give instructions on how to build it.

-corey - AE5KM

KK4GGL

May 28, 2022, 5:57:33 PM5/28/22
to pat-users
Would this eliminate the kissattach symlink problem?

Corey Minyard

May 30, 2022, 12:57:26 PM5/30/22
to pat-users
Well, I thought I had responded to this, but it's not here.

Yes, this eliminates the issue with kissattach.  You have the modem to configure (direwolf, soundmodem) and then just pat.  This connects directly to the modem and bypasses the Linux stack.  It also works on Windows and Mac.

-corey - AE5KM

KK4GGL

May 30, 2022, 3:18:45 PM5/30/22
to pat-users
I tried to connect using gensio-AX25 and packet and got this error:
2022/05/30 15:14:49 Unable to get frequency from rig 991: dial tcp [::1]:4532: connect: connection refused.
2022/05/30 15:14:49 Starting HTTP service (http://localhost:5000)...
2022/05/30 15:15:37 Connecting to KX4EOC-10 (gax25)...
2022/05/30 15:15:37 Unable to establish connection to remote: gensio_error: Value or file not found

I am able to connect using regular pat and ax.25. Can you tell me what to troubleshoot?

KK4GGL

May 30, 2022, 3:54:31 PM5/30/22
to pat-users
That's fixed. Operator error. I have something else going on now... sound card addressing, I think .. thank you Pulse Audio.

Corey Minyard

May 30, 2022, 7:49:42 PM5/30/22
to pat-users
On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 2:54:31 PM UTC-5 KK4GGL wrote:
That's fixed. Operator error. I have something else going on now... sound card addressing, I think .. thank you Pulse Audio.

Yeah, sound cards are a pain, but it should be the same configuration as using the Linux stack.  Just don't create the pty, and use the TCP port.

-corey - AE5KM

KK4GGL

Corey Minyard

May 30, 2022, 10:08:11 PM5/30/22
to pat-users
What is your gax25 section in pat configure?  Mine is:

  "gax25": {
    "gensio": "kiss,tcp,localhost,8001",
    "beacon": {
      "every": 3600,
      "message": "Winlink P2P",
      "destination": "IDENT"
    }

And what's the direwolf say when it starts?  Mine says:

  Dire Wolf version 1.6
  Includes optional support for:  cm108-ptt

  Reading config file direwolf.conf
  Audio device for both receive and transmit: plughw:1,0  (channel 0)
  Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 44100 sample rate.
  Note: PTT not configured for channel 0. (Ignore this if using VOX.)
  Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
  Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...

The 8001 after KISS TCP should match the 8001 in the gax25 gensio section, and localhost means that direwolf and pat are running on the same machine.

Also, what's the output of direwolf?

-corey

KK4GGL

Jun 7, 2022, 9:25:33 AM6/7/22
to pat-users
Corey and I have corresponding by email so I though I'd let anyone interested in my progress.
Many of my problems with the regular Pat version was because my axports configuration was incorrect. the speed and paclen were wrong.
The majority of my problems with the gensio version have been configuration. and ... my internal antenna, the one in my house, is behind closed metal slat window blinds.
My Pat config was missing some quotes and commas.
I needed to add extended=0 in the parms field to deal with some apparent issues with the local WinLink node.
And, of course, the metal window blinds.
I now have a bash script that will start direwolf, with time stamps, start pat and open the pat page in firefox. So double clinking on an icon on the desktop gives me a couple of open terminals and the pat interface in firefox.

Many thanks to corey for basically holding my hand through this.