PassMassAmendment Update: Meeting Saturday! Ask Legislators to Support Bill #H63! help amend the Massachusetts Constitution, based on "Corporations Are Not People, Money is Not Speech"

Terra

Mar 7, 2017, 12:16:42 PM3/7/17
to passmass...@googlegroups.com

PassMassAmendment.org - 2017/2018 Legislative Session

“Corporations are not People. Money is not Speech.”

*UPDATE - Statehouse Releases Our New Bill! Ask Legislators to support Bill# H63
        - Organizing meeting THIS SATURDAY March 11
            1:30 pm at the Democracy Center, 45 Mount Auburn St, Cambridge

Please write to:
- YOUR State Representative/Senator
- the Judiciary Committee, which whill be holding a hearing on Bill# H63, and
determine it's future course. See below for details/emails, and a sample letter.

And MORE!
- see below for our two new bills, to reduce the influence of foreign nationals!
- we're organizing again for petitioning in the Fall!

PassMassAmendment is working to amend/clarify the Massachusetts
Constitution based on "Corporations are not People, Money is not Speech".
We consider our effort as a start in the process of getting the
corrupting influence of corporations and big money out of the political
process to restore a system in which the People's voices are heard and
acted upon.

State Representative Paul Mark (Peru, Massachusetts) has filed a new bill
based on PassMassAmendment language! It's Bill #H63! (Last session it was bill #H933.)

In addition to our amendment bill, we have also filed two other bills:
- HD2350: limiting political contributions from non-Massachusetts-residents.
- HD3070: requires disclosure of all original sources of political contributions,
or a disclaimer is added to all advertisements that:
"foreign nationals are most likely funding this advertisement."

We do not have the bill numbers for the other bills yet, but expect to soon.
So please stay tuned!

Please ask your State Legislators to support Bill #H63.
If they already are supporting, please thank them!
(See below for Sample Letter and Contact Information.)

Also, please write to Judiciary Committee!
We want the Judiciary Committee to have a "Favorable Report" and send Bill# H63
to the floor for a vote!

We need to keep pushing to make sure the Statehouse knows that we want #H63 passed!

WRITE TO LEGISLATORS! (Sample email and contact info)

To support Bill #H63 [amending the Massachusetts Constitution based on
"Corporations Are Not People, Money Is Not Speech", as a first step in
getting BIG MONEY OUT of our elections] please send an email of support
to Legislators (see sample email below).

Find YOUR Legislator here.

IN ADDITION to writing to your own Legislator...

Please ALSO, write DIRECTLY to the STATEHOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE, where
the PassMassAmendment Bill #H63 will be considered.

Please urge Judiciary Committee Members for a "Favorable Report on #H63".

Here is the STATEHOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE contact info (see list of emails at the
end, if you want to write to all of them at once), and a SAMPLE EMAIL BELOW.

STATEHOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

Senate Chair: 617-722-1280 William.Br...@masenate.gov
Boston/Belmont/Watertown
Senate Vice Chair: 617-722-1673 Sonia.Ch...@masenate.gov Boston

House Chair: 617-722-2396 Claire...@mahouse.gov Brockton/Easton area
House Vice Chair: 617-722-2140 James.C...@mahouse.gov Marshfield
Situate area

Senate Members:
617-722-1494 John....@masenate.gov <mailto:John....@masenate.gov>
Norfolk/Plymouth area
617-722-1639 Cynthi...@masenate.gov Newton/Brookline/Wellesley
617-722-1578 Patrici...@masenate.gov
Cambridge/Medford/Somerville/Winchester

House Members:
617-722-2380 Collee...@mahouse.gov
<mailto:Collee...@mahouse.gov> Dracut/Tingsborough
617-722-2460 Carole...@mahouse.gov Fall River
617-722-2263 Danie...@mahouse.gov Boston/Quincy
617-722-2582 Micha...@mahouse.gov Winchester/Stoneham
617-722-2460 Rady...@mahouse.gov Lowell area
617-722-2400 Paul....@mahouse.gov Salem
617-722-7300 Bud.Wi...@mahouse.gov Springfield
617-722-2305 Sheila.H...@mahouse.gov Ayer/Groton area
617-722-2460 James...@mahouse.gov Andover area

Most email programs will all you to copy/past the entire list into the
"to" part of a new email:
William.Br...@masenate.gov
Sonia.Ch...@masenate.gov
Claire...@mahouse.gov
James.C...@mahouse.gov
John....@masenate.gov <mailto:John....@masenate.gov>
Cynthi...@masenate.gov
Patrici...@masenate.gov
Collee...@mahouse.gov <mailto:Collee...@mahouse.gov>
Carole...@mahouse.gov
Danie...@mahouse.gov
Micha...@mahouse.gov
Rady...@mahouse.gov
Paul....@mahouse.gov
Bud.Wi...@mahouse.gov
Sheila.H...@mahouse.gov
James...@mahouse.gov

Please write something like the following:

Dear Legislators,

As a Massachusetts voter, I'm writing to ask you to support Bill #H63,
"Proposal for a legislative amendment to the Constitution to declare
that “corporations are not people, money is not speech"” which has been
filedby Representative Paul Mark. Also, please support the associated
House Docket numbers #HD2350 and #HD3070, which are being reviewed by
House Counsel. These bills will help reduce the amount of political
contributions by out-of-state peopleand foreign nationals. H63 was
inspired by PassMassAmendment [PMA], an all volunteer grassroots citizen
group, working, statewide, on a binding ballot initiative, that gathered
over 18,000 signatures from registered voters in Massachusetts in 2016.
Bill #H63 will be reviewed by the *Joint Judiciary Committee. **I am
asking you to add your voice in support of this fundamental issue, and
help to ensure that our Commonwealth take the lead to stop big money
from continuing to have a negative influence on our political system.*

Thank you for all that you have already done and will do to support our
democratic process.

Name
Street Address

Petitioning This Fall:

PassMassAmendment has a two pronged approach. 2017 will be the fifth
year of our both promoting a statewide ballot initiative legislative bills
in the MA State House (which are based on PMA’s petition language.)

PassMassAmendment considers each petition signature gathered for the
citizen ballot initiative to put added pressure on the State House to
move forward on either a citizen or legislative Amendment to the State
Constitution. Sign up to help - PassMass...@gmail.com

For more information:

* http://passmassamendment.wikispaces.com/State+Senate+%26+House+Bills

* PassMass StateHouse Coordinator: Nick Bokron, nbo...@gmail.com

* *Legislation questions? comments? <in...@PassMassAmendment.org>

* *Petitioning info :*/_PassMass...@gmail.com_/**

Thank you for being a part of this critical grassroots movement,

PassMassAmendment

/“Corporations are not People. Money is not Speech.”/

If you are currently on the Announcement-Only List and wish to get more
frequent updates, consider signing up for our ACTION LIST:
passmas...@googlegroups.com