passlib support for NaCL or a derivative of

Darin Gordon

Mar 2, 2015, 11:07:36 AM3/2/15
to passli...@googlegroups.com
Are there any plans for passlib support of the NaCL (sodium) schema in the near future?   http://nacl.cr.yp.to/

It would be a shame to use an alternative python library to access it..

-DG

Eli Collins

Apr 11, 2015, 12:12:11 PM4/11/15
to passli...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, probably not.

Despite a few bits of feature-creep (like TOTP support), I've been trying to keep passlib primarily focused on password hashing.  NaCl is more of a general-purpose crypto api, which is a larger surface area than I've got the time to support.

Also, a secondary goal I have is to keep passlib written in pure-python; conditionally taking advantage of any third-party C extensions that may usefully accelerate parts of passlib (e.g. M2Crypto, py-bcrypt).  NaCl doesn't appear to currently offer any password hashing algorithms, or any other bits that would be useful as yet; but if it does, and another project provides a Python API, that's probably when / how any NaCl support will be integrated into Passlib.

- Eli