Move/mirror project on GitHub?

Alexandru Mărășteanu

Apr 17, 2013, 1:25:45 PM4/17/13
to passli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

A lot of people these days use GitHub. It seems much more convenient to track changes of and possibly contribute to projects there.

Is it possible to move the source code over at GitHub?

--
Alexei

Eli Collins

Apr 17, 2013, 6:08:57 PM4/17/13
to passli...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I have been thinking about moving the project at some point. Passlib is the first (and only) project I've setup at Google Code, and I've found Google Code's feature-set somewhat lacking. Even the source browser is awkward. The only positive collaborative feature I can even think of is the code-review tool.

That said, Passlib (and most of my other projects) currently use Mercurial instead of Git, so I'm leaning towards moving the project to BitBucket. When I get serious about the move, I'm planning to research the GitHub / BitBucket differences a bit further. That move may be for a while though, it's a big undertaking - converting to a different VCS (for GitHub), replicating the issue tracker, dealing with broken links around the web, etc.

- Eli

Alexandru Mărășteanu

Apr 18, 2013, 8:35:58 AM4/18/13
to passli...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough :) Git vs. Mercurial is like Vim vs. Emacs...

But btw, there are tools that help you migrate the repository from one DVCS to another if you need to, and the issue tracker from Google Code to GitHub/BitBucket. I guess you should note that the Google's Issue Tracker API has been deprecated and will be shut down in June.

--
Alexei

penning...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2015, 2:04:06 PM1/10/15
to passli...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 5:08:57 PM UTC-5, Eli Collins wrote:

That said, Passlib (and most of my other projects) currently use Mercurial instead of Git, so I'm leaning towards moving the project to BitBucket.

In principle, there's no need to develop exclusively on bitbucket or github... you can use both if you like; I also develop with mercurial, but hg-git makes the workflow pretty easy...

hg commit <whatever>
hg bookmark -f master
hg push <bitbucket-url>
hg push git+ssh://g...@github.com:mpenning/<my-project-name>