Damper for Kitchen Exhaust

Brett Holverstott

Aug 28, 2014, 6:06:06 PM8/28/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Wanted to share and compare notes on how people are doing their kitchen exhaust ducts. For my passive project in Chelan, we are planning to have a direct-to-outside exhaust as part of a range hood or microwave-integrated fan. Windows on either side of the stove can be cracked open to provide make-up air.

For the damper, I am specifying a Honeywell Commercial Round Damper, 6" , product D690A1002/U, with an MS4103-A1130 motorized control on the kitchen hood exhaust fan. The cost is $95 for the damper and $230 for the motorized control. This motor has an accessory switch such that it allows the exhaust fan to turn on only once it is fully open (an "interlock"). You can have an electrician wire up the interlock, it is pretty straightforward, I hear. The motor is a little cheaper without the interlock.

Note that this is a "commercial" grade damper. I am getting used to hearing things like "Well, we've never been asked for this before, BUT..." :)

Brett

Adam Cohen

Aug 28, 2014, 6:13:50 PM8/28/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
We have been using interlocked Broan dampers for ranges and dryers.  We always put makeup air (also interlocked)  We have been testing and are finding about 20 - 30 CFM leakage per 8" damper and a bit less for 6", we have not tested 4" yet but are working on one that we will.  So we have to "overtighen" to make up for the leakage)

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect MD, VT & CO, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year
2013 Green Builder Green Home of the Year

Structures Design/Build, LLC
3904 Franklin Road, Suite E
Roanoke, VA 24014

Web site: www.structuresdb.com