Tapes tapes tapes

1 view

Brett Holverstott

Aug 28, 2014, 6:14:22 PM8/28/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi all (again),

I wanted to compare notes on people's favorite tapes. I've been reading some tape-bashing by manufacturers and the question occurs: "How good is good enough?" The Small Planet Workshop likes SIGA, but 475 likes Tescon, as evidenced by their recent recommendations:

(Which is not so much "how" but "what" they think you should select...)

After some conversation with Ken Levenson from 475 he pointed me to some studies done:

We are applying SIGA Wigluv to form our air barrier in OSB sheathing. We noticed it is extremely sticky and seems to make a great seal. But Ken doesn't like it:

"The Wigluv has too much adhesive on it and so while appearing very sticky initially, it will float and is prone to slippage in tension - while TESCON Vana is solid. It is also a significant vapor retarder at 1.7 perms, where the TESCON Vana is practically vapor open at 8 perms"

Personally I don't think anyone should rely on tape as being their vapor-permeable membrane, but I suppose it doesn't hurt. Any thoughts or experience to share?

Brett

Tessa Smith

Aug 29, 2014, 1:43:27 PM8/29/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
We love the SIGA tapes, and have zero concern so far about their longevity.  If that helps.

Tessa Smith
Artisans Group

1 10 10 Tessa

Graham S. Wright

Aug 30, 2014, 1:54:35 AM8/30/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

I went to the SIGA workshop.  The question I had about the stiff-backed tape was, what happens with expansion/contraction, won't a stiff-backed tape pop off?  Don't you need a flexible tape?  Their answer was, the backing can like, swim on the glue.  That made sense to me.  So maybe that is why there is so much glue, so it can purposely slip a bit if the joint tries to pull apart.

-gw