Really heavy windows.

Brett Holverstott

Sep 8, 2014, 8:55:08 PM9/8/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My builder and his crew almost broke their backs when the windows were delivered to the job site! The sliding glass door is 600+ lbs. These are triple-pane fiberglass units from Cascadia. Our suction cups were only 125 lb rated and started to fail.

We are looking for heavy duty glass lifters (probably dual or quad-cup) that we can rent for a week or so while installing three very large windows. We are also looking for any able backs who are willing to drive out to Chelan for a day to help with the installation, especially if you have done a Cascadia install before. We are putting in the windows the week of the 15th.

I see some available on Amazon. Reviews are mixed. Any recommendations if we were to purchase new?

Brett

Skylar Swinford

Sep 8, 2014, 9:36:56 PM9/8/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Brett,

At H+H we use Powr-Grip N4000 suction cups. Made in good ole Montana:
http://www.wpg.com/catalog/glass-and-window-installation/n4000ts

They cost about $60 each but well worth it. Similar 8" models can be purchased on Amazon, but not sure about quality.

In PDX these suctions cups are fairly easy to rent.

Good luck,

Skylar

Brett Holverstott

Sep 9, 2014, 1:33:45 PM9/9/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi Skylar,

Thanks for the tip... these look like they are rated at 75 lbs so we would need 8 of them to lift the sliding door unit ! Ever used higher capacity dual or quad cup lifters?

Brett

Brett Holverstott

Sep 9, 2014, 1:34:59 PM9/9/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
But this looks like a great supplier... they have a bunch of capacity models.

Brett

Skylar Swinford

Sep 9, 2014, 9:19:03 PM9/9/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
I chatted with Scott Gunter who installed some 600+lb units at the Karuna project. He made the point that these tall heavy units are extremely unruly and you would want as many hands and cups on it as possible to lift and stabilize it safely. At Karuna the beasty units were all lifted into place on straps slung around Gradall forks.

As for the 75 lb rating on the 8" cups I would say they must have a safety factor built in, because they seem to hold waaaaay more than that.

Also I'm assuming you have taken the operable door off right?

Skylar

--
Sent from my phone

Russ Hellem

Sep 11, 2014, 12:56:44 PM9/11/14
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Brett,

We have the 6 suction cup model that can be used with a crane and booming forklift. We have found it invaluable and a lot safer for installing large triple pane doors and windows. You can often times rent one of the larger models by the week or sometimes the day. I would offer ours up, but we are located in Montana and ours is in use next week for installation of a European window package.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a note.

Regards,
Russ Hellem
Energetechs