foil finish on PVC window frames?

Kristen Simmons

Jul 20, 2012, 9:02:30 AM7/20/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking to have a dark finish on the exterior and white on the interior.

My concerns are durability of the finish - any issues with scratching, sun fading, etc? Also the corner seams where they essentially use paint to conceal the inevitable white seam?

Are there other options for a split finish?

Thanks,
Kristen

Mario Holod

Jul 20, 2012, 12:22:45 PM7/20/12
to passive...@googlegroups.com
Euroline windows use foil instead of paint. Much more durable, much harder to scratch than any paint. I actually have foiled profile I show to people and give them my car key to try to scratch.
Basically, we have equipment where we laminate acrylic foil, with glue and under the heat.
Never heard about peeling of, even in hot climates.
Regarding fading, everything fades a little bit, doesn't matter how color was applied and to what. But with our foil is extremely minimized.
U-value is .28 with our double pain lwe2 glass. Also, with new Thermo+/ Rehau Geneo profile ( 3 gaskets, first Hybrid Composite material made from uPVC and Fiberglass) U value with double pain glass is .24. This material was used on the first Passive house highrise ever made.
Web site is www.euroline-windows.com

Regards
Mario Holod
425-361-6659

Adam Cohen

Jul 21, 2012, 10:53:31 AM7/21/12
to passive...@googlegroups.com
Munster has an applied finish and an integral finish.  Talk tio Jim Evans or Brendan about it

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year

Structures Design/Build, LLC
5104 Bernard Drive
Roanoke, VA 24018