mini HRV questions

Russ Weiser

Nov 21, 2012, 3:28:02 PM11/21/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for someone I could ask questions about HRVs.  I have a client that is interested in retrofitting an existing structure to Passive House standards, but would like to install the HRV in a cupola on the roof.  So I'm looking for information on the right HRV for the job.  Would need to be compact and not too tall.  The space it will be conditioning is approximately 900 SF.  Is there a mini HRV that would work?

Thanks, Russ

Martha Rose

Nov 21, 2012, 4:58:28 PM11/21/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
The HRV needs to be inside of the conditioned envelope if it is going to do its job properly. Besides losing efficiency, it would become very cumbersome to deal with the modest amount of maintenance and filter changing, should it be located anywhere that is not easy to get to. A cupola sounds hard to get at and likely not in the heated envelope!

Martha

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Russ Weiser <rwe...@hkpa.com> wrote:
I'm looking for someone I could ask questions about HRVs.  I have a client that is interested in retrofitting an existing structure to Passive House standards, but would like to install the HRV in a cupola on the roof.  So I'm looking for information on the right HRV for the job.  Would need to be compact and not too tall.  The space it will be conditioning is approximately 900 SF.  Is there a mini HRV that would work?

Thanks, Russ

Stay tuned for our next

Martha Rose Construction, Inc.

Linda Whaley

Nov 21, 2012, 5:21:01 PM11/21/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com, Passive...@googlegroups.com
Check out the little HRV that the fine folks at 475 sell.  I'll be looking at that one for the Passive Bunkhouse I am working on. http://www.foursevenfive.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_71_98_99&zenid=4539f88b04abae83b5920b330b199d7b

Sent from the land of make believe.

Adam Cohen

Nov 21, 2012, 5:23:11 PM11/21/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
There are some through the wall units that can do about 40cfm in europe - Paul makes one and Viking House - none are approved for US market, I dont know if CA will accept EU certs

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year

Structures Design/Build, LLC
5104 Bernard Drive
Roanoke, VA 24018

Web site: www.structuresdb.com
Passivhaus information: http://www.passivehousedesign.us/
More Passivhaus info: http://www.viking-house.us/

540.774.4800 (office)
540.989.7062 (fax)

David

Nov 24, 2012, 2:19:10 AM11/24/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Hi Russ,

Here’s a short list of HRV’s that were found to be particularly effective-and qualified for Oregon’s Residential Tax credit (RETC).

Zehnder

CA 350

Am Aldes

200 SRD

Broan/Nutone

Guardian HRV 200H

Bryant

HRVBBLVU1150-B

Bryant

ERVBBLHU1200-B

Lennox

HRV3-195

Lifebreath

200 MAX

Lifebreath

300DCS

Lifebreath

195 ECM

Lifebreath

155 ECM

Renewaire

EV200

Rheem/Ruud

84-HRV-200

Ultimate Air

RecoupAerator 200DX

Trent Metals Ltd.

Summeraire SHRV180ED

Venmar

AVS 2.0 Constructo

Venmar

AVS HRV EKO 1.5

Excellent performance

Very good performance

Good performance

Fair performance

Poor performance

Very poor performance

(I am hoping that the color codes come through so as to discern which unit performs well and which one not.  I would be happy to send you the excel spreadsheet on this for further clarification…)

Here’s a link you might find of interest which test several dozen units- http://www.oregon.gov/energy/CONS/pages/res/tax/hrvlist.aspx

And here is a link for forms to attain the $150-$450 rebates for qualifying units in Oregon. http://www.oregon.gov/energy/CONS/Pages/res/tax/HVAC_ERV-HRV.aspx

I recently purchased and installed a FANTECH FLEX 100 for an 800 sq ft cottage.  It has done an excellent job at reducing the interior relative humidity by 10-20% and for bringing in fresh air without losing all the heat.  It is a fairly compact unit, but needs to be installed in conditioned space.  The controls are still being debugged, so I hesitate to recommend this unit at the moment.  As Martha mentioned, you will to have fairly regular access to the unit for filter cleaning and inspection (every 3 months).

I have found material costs between $1K and $2K and installation of four mandays.

Hope that helps,

 Best of luck,

David

David Burdick

Professional Engineering (PE) Mechanical License  # 26503

Certified Energy Manager (CEM) License # 19102

Certified Passive House Consultant  License # 1397
Earth Harmony Habitats™
4917 SE Aldercrest Rd.
Portland, Oregon 97222-4757

Tel: (+1) 503 654 2070
email: Da...@earthharmonyhabitats.org
website: www.earthharmonyhabitats.org

Russ Weiser

Nov 27, 2012, 8:53:32 PM11/27/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your comments.  I'll follow up on the information that you all sent on mini HRVs.  By the way, the "cupola" location of the HRV is the Owners idea. It would be in the conditioned space.  I tried to dissuade him from having the unit in a location that is not easy to get access to, and will continue to try.  One of the reasons I wanted to look at specific units and their space requirements is that I think think once he sees how big the cupola would need to be, he will reconsider installation in a closet off the main space.

Cheers, Russ

David Burdick

Nov 28, 2012, 3:49:54 AM11/28/12
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
The Fantech is about 21" x 28" x 16 " deep.  Pretty compact, and suggested to be run in conditioned space.e
cheers,
David