CanPHI conference

mike eliason

May 28, 2013, 10:57:12 PM5/28/13
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

The Passivhaus gurus north of the border are planning quite the soiree for energy nerds this Autumn. They will be hosting PASSIVE HOUSE NORTH 2013, CanPHI’s first  Passivhaus conference, which will take place 27-28 September 2013.

Yours truly has been invited to present, and the list of speakers is tres impressive/humbling – a veritable Who’s Who of the North American PH community. The focus will be broad (e.g. not limited to single family houses) and this is PHantastic. We are looking forward to this and are hoping to corral a number of our compañeros here in the NW to head north with us. We are, after all, one awesomely large bio-region. They’re pulling out all the stops, and Dr. Feist has been confirmed to speak as well. In case you were wondering, yes, this will be one of the highlights for North American PH movement this year.

Additional speakers include Tim McDonald of Onion Flats fame, Henry Gifford, Bronwyn Barry and one of the most prolific educators/promoters/gurus of PH we’ve ever met, Passive House Academy’s Tomas O’Leary. Covered topics will include PH affordability, cold climate difficulties, large wood structures, multi-family housing, prefab construction, high-performance window design, heat recovery ventilation, and airtightness – amongst others.

In case you were afraid to travel to BC for a single day event, fret not. The conference will take place over multiple days, and much like the PHI’s conferences, there are pregame events and a banquet on Friday night, with a presentation by Henry Gifford.

Discounted/early bird registration is open til June 23rd. This has been extended to iPHA/NYPH and PHnw members – an extraordinary gesture for cross-border cross-pollinization.

So if you haven’t done it yet – here are but a few reasons you should click that registration button.

1. Vancouver is an amazing place and, unlike other locales hosting PH conferences, worth visiting. ( I’d live there if it was further from the States).
2. Top notch venue – the Westin Bayshore ain’t no ampit with dingy carpeting and smoke-laden curtains from the 70s.
3. We’ll be there, and as the unofficial black sheep of the PH community, we always bring the fun.
4. CanPHI is an organization worth supporting, especially w/ their new certification option!
5. Did we mention it is in Vancouver?
6. Latest group to join APHN!!
7. meat & bread!!

27-28 September PASSIVE HOUSE NORTH 2013
Westin Bayshore, 1601 Bayshore Drive, Vancouver, BC
5:30-7:00 PM, CAN$ $400 (members) | $550 (non-members) – includes meals/fees/taxes.