Requesting more information on example's: # Set correct environment variables. ENV HOME /root

Tim Tilberg

Apr 4, 2018, 4:04:57 PM4/4/18
to passenger-docker
The example Dockerfile for the Passenger images has the following:

# Set correct environemnt variables
ENV HOME
/root

I wish there were better documentation on the intention of this -- as far as I'm concerned, that's not necessarily "my" correct environment variable.

For example, when running `bundle install` I end up in one of two situations:

1) I'm running it as the root user, where having HOME=/root makes sense, but then Bundler complains that you are installing as root.
2) I'm running as `app` user, but because of `HOME=/root`, Bundler first tries to install gems to `/root/` for which it does not have permissions

This led me to wondering what this actually implies anyway -- there is no mention of it being required for anything related to passenger other than "being a correct environment variable".

Do you have more information? Can we improve the readme? I was going to create an issue asking the same in Github, but thought I'd start here in case it ends up being silly and obvious.

Thanks!