Unexpected Image Size

jos...@netbeez.net

Oct 5, 2017, 9:52:47 AM10/5/17
to passenger-docker
Hi,

I've been working on running my company's Rails application inside a Passenger container. I was using the Ruby 2.4 container, which created an image size around 700MB after `bundle install`. That was a little bigger than I wanted, so I decided to try the custom Passenger container. From what I understand, the custom container starts with a base system without node, Ruby, etc. In comparison, the Ruby 2.4 container comes with far more than just Ruby.

So I set up my new Dockerfile with the custom container and *only* opted into Ruby 2.4. After gem installation, etc. (the same process as before) I ended up with an image over 1GB. What am I missing? I would expect the image to be smaller because it's opt-in, but instead it's far larger.

J.