cDNA_annotation_comparer

on the road

Mar 10, 2022, 9:46:08 PM3/10/22
to pasapipeline-users
Dear all,
I am trying to use some full-length cDNA sequence to update my genome annotation. With command like below.
$PASAHOME/Launch_PASA_pipeline.pl -c annotCompare.config -A -g $genome -t merged.nuc.fas --CPU 20
The code works fine except the speed, I just set the --CPU 20, howevery when I check the process, it only uses one threads. I use MySQL and PASA.2.5.2

Below is my log file

on the road

Mar 10, 2022, 9:51:03 PM3/10/22
to pasapipeline-users

Here is some log and temp files.
pasa_run.log.dir.tar.gz
update_UTR.log

Brian Haas

Mar 11, 2022, 11:54:10 AM3/11/22
to on the road, pasapipeline-users
Hi,

With mysql, it's supposed to allow for multithreading.  The way the multithreading is implemented, though, is that each thread works on a separate genome contig (or chromosome).  If there's one contig that contains a large number of genes compared to the others, it could end up just using one thread once the other contigs are finished.

There could be some other reasons for lack of speed here given there's a lot of I/O and communication going on with the mysql server. In any case, the mysql backend should be a lot faster than using the sqlite version, but still might not be as fast as possible.

Brian J. Haas
The Broad Institute
http://broadinstitute.org/~bhaas