Questions: Running Launch_PASA_pipeline.pl in "gene_overlap mode" with a gff3 that contains whole-chromosome annotations: Effect on how --gene_overlap operates?

Kris Alavattam

Jan 5, 2023, 8:48:04 PM1/5/23
to pasapipeline-users
Hi Brian,

Happy New Year! When calling Launch_PASA_pipeline.pl in "gene_overlap mode", I used "Saccharomyces_cerevisiae.R64-1-1.108.gff3" as the corresponding annotation (i.e., the input to argument --annots).

However, we just realized that "Saccharomyces_cerevisiae.R64-1-1.108.gff3", an official Ensembl annotation for S. cerevisiae, includes annotations for whole chromosomes among its many features; these annotations for whole chromosomes appear as giant chromosome-wide blocks when viewing the gff3 in IGV and other genome browsers (please see attached screenshot). This concerned us because it raises the possibility that, when using gene_overlap mode, all transcripts would be clustered regardless of the percent value supplied to --gene_overlap because all transcripts overlap the chromosome annotation. Do you know if this is the case? If so, then it would appear that I need to edit the Ensembl gff3 to remove the whole-chromosome annotations—and perhaps other features. In that case, do you have any opinions on what features I should specifically retain in the gff3? I was thinking to cut everything out except mRNA annotations? Or maybe that doesn't really matter—especially in comparison to the whole-chromosome annotations.

Anyway, thank you,
Kris
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 5.45.43 PM.png

Brian Haas

Jan 6, 2023, 9:42:35 AM1/6/23
to Kris Alavattam, pasapipeline-users
Hi Kris,

I'm pretty sure PASA will parse and use only the features that are annotated as genes.  The chromosome features are probably labeled as regions or some other non-gene type feature.  If you're concerned, you could just edit them out of the gff3 before importing it into pasa.

best,

~b

Brian J. Haas
The Broad Institute