Feb 20: Liferay Sync

David Noble

Jan 23, 2012, 10:57:21 AM1/23/12
to pasad...@googlegroups.com, LAJUG - Los Angeles Java User's Group
The Pasadena JUG will return from its winter break in February.
Gail Hernandez will describe the development of Liferay Sync, an open source package that provides file synchronization capabilities similar to Dropbox.com as part of the Liferay Document Library.
Date: Monday, Feb 20
Time: 7pm - 9pm
Place: Idealab in Pasadena (RSVP for more details)

Please RSVP on the Meetup site so we can get headcount for food and drinks to be provided by UberMedia.

http://meetup.com/pasadenajug

Rough Agenda:

7:00pm - 7:15pm Start to Eat & Mingle
7:15pm - 7:25pm Introductions
7:25pm - 7:30pm Identify those with open positions (please no announcements from contingency recruiters)
7:35pm - 7:37pm Speaker & Talk Introduction
7:37pm+ The Talk!

Liferay Sync works with the web based Liferay Document Library to provide desktop access to files stored in the Document Library.  The concept is simple enough.  Keep the files and folders that are in the web-based folder in sync with the files on the users’ local desktop.  Like many things, the devil is in the details.  Many design constraints further clouded the issue.  We wanted a lightweight application that could run on any OS, no heavy weight database and fast performance. Most of all we want no data loss. The solution was a Java engine, with a Java based UI, connected with C++ based shell extensions for complete integration into the environment. This presentation will discuss the hurdles faced, the design decisions and tradeoffs that had to be made, as well as plans and goals for the future.

Gail Hernandez is a Senior Software Engineer at Liferay, Inc. She joined the company in March 2011, after working in the defense industry for the past decade. There, she developed an eclectic collection of experience. She has worked on diverse projects including C3I systems for unmanned aircraft, Open Road Tolling systems, mobile command center systems for first responders, and GPS systems. Gail holds a B.S. in Computer Science from Cal Poly Pomona and a M.S. in Software Engineering from Cal State Fullerton.