39 Questions for White People Workshop

Arthur Kegerreis

Nov 6, 2018, 10:52:07 PM11/6/18
to Pasadena Social Change Ministry Resource List
On Sunday, April 30th, 2017, at Rise of Meeting - from 1pm to 3pm - we will be holding a workshop on Naima Lowe's "39 Questions for White People."

This will be an participatory discussion session.

"39 Questions for White People" is a work of art that AFSC purchased to further the discussion of race, racism, and white privilege in the Religious Society of Friends. The deceptively simple questions facilitate awareness and consideration of race and accountability in our lives. It started as an experiment based in artist Naima Lowe's curiosity about how whiteness is framed and understood by white people. Our presentation fosters dialogue about the work we can do as a community to face and address these problems. Please join us!

Here is AFSC's page about the work:
https://www.afsc.org/content/host-inter ... naima-lowe

Here is a link to the artist's website describing the work:
http://www.naimalowe.net/39uestions/

An article from Salon.com about it:
http://www.salon.com/2013/12/05/seven_q ... aima_lowe/

Here is a lecture by the artist at Evergreen College where she teaches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SL6NDYLrzE