FREE January Tool Trainings

Bissrat Melakeberhan

Dec 31, 2018, 2:27:09 AM12/31/18
FREE workshops with Parts and Crafts in Laser Cutting, CNC routing,  and Web Programming (Django and Python)
We are running a series of FREE workshops --  covering design, tool setup, and hands-on practice -- to introduce people to our basic toolset.  Drop in or take all three sessions to get your tool certification.
Intro to Lasercutting:  3 sessions

Learn how to use a high-powered laser to cut and etch different types of materials, including acrylic, wood, and fabric.  This is a three-session tool training designed to give people an introduction to use this tool safely for your own projects.
  • Design with Inkscape: Tuesday Jan 8, 6:30-8 pm.  Whether your're creating ornaments, making your own signs, or etching a picture, the first step to using the lasercutter is being able to set up the file.  Our first class will be an introduction to Inkscape, an open source tool that is one of the main platforms we use to design for the lasercutter.  REGISTER HERE
  • Setting up the Tool: Tuesday Jan 15, 6:30-8 pm.   Set up a file and send it to cut!  We'll go over speed and power settings for etching glass, cutting plywood, etching acrylic, and more.   Participants will have an opportunity to experiment with different materials and go over basic safety practices that are required to use the lasercutter independently.   REGISTER HERE
  • Fun Stuff:  Lasercut Coasters:  Tuesday Jan 22 6:30-8pm.  Design a coaster to lasercut!  If you have an independent project that is ready to cut, we'll send it to the lasercutter and you can take it home with you.  REGISTER HERE

Intro to ShopBot:  3 sessions

The ShopBot is a CNC router that can be used for larger-scale woodworking projects such as sign-making and furniture design.  CNC routers can be used for a variety of carpentry work.  This is a three-session tool training designed to give people an introduction to use this tool safely for your own projects.
  • Design with VCarve Pro:  Wednesday Jan 9, 6:30-8 pm.  Learn how to design and set up a 2D file to cut with the ShopBot.  This workshop will focus on drawing and layout in VCarve Pro, including tool demos and workflow, with the goal of getting people set up with a file that they can cut.  REGISTER HERE
  • Setting up the Tool:  Wednesday Jan 16 6:30-8 pm.   Overview of toolpaths, router bit selection, and basic safety procedures for setting up the ShopBot to cut a file.  Import your file from VCarve to ShopBot control software and learn how to safely set up your workspace.   REGISTER HERE
  • Fun Stuff:  Design a Sign:  Wednesday Jan 23, 6:30-8 pm.   Use the ShopBot to make something practical or creative! Make a sign, cut it on the Shopbot, hang it up! Participants with independent projects will have an opportunity to design and cut their work.  Build something and take it home with you!  REGISTER HERE

Intro to Web Programming (with Django and Python): 6 sessions

A six-session introduction to programming websites using a popular web development framework called Django.  Django is a free and open source web application framework written in Python. A software framework is a set of standard, connected tools to make the development of certain kinds of software projects easier.

In this class we will learn the basics of how static web sites are constructed, interpreted, and hosted using HTML and CSS and how dynamic websites are created using server-side software and data.  We will use an online software development environment called PaizaCloud to write, share, and deploy our projects.

The course will be ongoing and progressive.  Over the six weeks we will work together to build a simple database-backed website and become familiar with the basics of how the web works.  While some familiarity with computer use and basic keyboarding skills will be helpful, this class will be targeted to students with no technical background and will be suitable for beginning programmers.

Because each week will be built off of work from the previous week, the following session breakdown is just a summary and overview of how the course will generally go.  What we cover exactly from week to week will likely be somewhat different.

  • Intro to Web Programming  Session 1:  What is the web?  HTML/CSS and servers and browsers :  Thursday Jan 10, 7:00-8:30. REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Web Programming Session 2:  Coding basics -- getting started with Python :  Thursday Jan 17, 7:00-8:30.  REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Web Programming Session 3: Getting started with Django -- what is a dynamic website?  :  Thursday Jan 24, 7:00-8:30 .   REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Web Programming  Session 4: Storing information -- mySQL and databases :  Thursday Jan 31, 7:00-8:30. REGISTER HERE

Vinyl Sticker Cutting: 1 session
  • Intro to Vinyl Sticker Cutting: Wednesday, Jan 2 6:30- 8:00.  Learn how to use the Roland Cut Pro to design and cut vinyl stickers and decals! REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Vinyl Sticker CuttingWednesday, Jan 30, 6:30 - 8:00.  Learn how to use the Roland Cut Pro to design and cut vinyl stickers and decals! REGISTER HERE

Fabville Open Shop!
Monday - Thursday

The Fab Lab is open to the public Monday through Thursday.  It is FREE and anyone is allowed to come!   You do not have to be a Somerville Public School student or even live in Somerville.  Open shop hours are as follows:
  • Monday3-5:30
  • Tuesday:  3-5:30
  • Wednesday:  3-8 pm
  • Thursday:  3-8 pm
Where are you located?   FabVille is located on the far east side of the Somerville High school campus  (library side).  To get to the Fab Lab, enter near the gym and go down the stairs to your right, turn left and head to the end of the hallway.  We're at the very end of the Voc Ed department, last door on the right.

Who can come?  Anyone is welcome, but the Fab Lab is primarily geared toward late middle schoolers, high schoolers, and adults.  It's a professional toolset, and there's less of the "pull something out and build it!" that we have at Parts and Crafts.  Kids 13 and under should plan to come with a grown-up.

Does it cost anything?  All classes and workshops are offered free of charge.  This includes advanced classes like Arduino robotics, lasercutting and 3D printing, and materials for small-scale manufacturing.

Who runs the Fab Lab?  The Fab Lab is run by the City of Somerville in partnership with Parts and Crafts, a kid workshop and community  makerspace located at 577 Somerville Ave.   To find out more about our programs, visit www.partsandcrafts.org

Experience Curator
January 2019 Skill Up Somerville.png