[Parts and Crafts] Registration is OPEN for Summer Camp

William Macfarlane

Jan 30, 2019, 2:09:22 PM1/30/19
to parts-and-crafts-boston-announcements, contact
Hi friends!  It's still cold and snowy out there, but everyone is making plans and getting ready for summer.  We've opened registration for summer and vacation week programs and we hope to see you there!

Parts and Crafts Summer Camp!

Girls’ Invention Week!
June 24-28 (1 week), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$325/session.  REGISTER HERE
A week of building and taking apart and experimenting and playing! We’ll have our electronics workbench, craft table, hot glue, cardboard, computer lab, and lots of great projects and activities! This session is open just for girls, as a safe space and a warm introduction to what we’re about!

Music and Mechanisms

July 1-12 (2 weeks), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$650/session.  REGISTER HERE
A week to make motion and movement and music of all kinds – accoustic and electronic, simple and complex, tuneful and noisy. We’ll also build machines, play games,draw pictures, go on hikes, program computers, build circuits, hang out and have a blast! No camp on the 4th of July.

Science and Spectacle
July 15-26 (2 weeks), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$650/session.  REGISTER HERE
Come explore the hidden science behind everyday and not-so-everyday phenomenon – fascinating demonstrations of physics, light, and movement. We’ll make kinetic sculptures, sound waves, gels, goo’s and more!

Imaginary Worlds
July 29 – August 9 (2 weeks), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$650/session.  REGISTER HERE
Sometimes creativity is designing a clever linkage or solution to a programming problem, and sometimes it’s inventing a magic spell or a fascinating creature. We’ll design alien worlds and alien life and make movies about them, play games and tell stories.

Life: Natural and Artificial
August 12 – 23 (2 weeks), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$650/session.  REGISTER HERE
Robots and wildlife! We’ll make autonomous robots and program computers to simulate living things and then we’ll go outside, explore the urban ecosystem, garden, hike around Somerville gathering wild edible plants and cook ourselves a snack!

Coming up:  February and April Camp

February Vacation Week!
February 18 – 22 (1 week), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$350/week.  REGISTER HERE
February is one of our favorite sessions: ice skating, igloos, giant snowball fights at the park, and lots of building, crafting, and inventing to keep kids busy over the holiday break. This session usually fills up quickly, sign up today to reserve your spot!

April Vacation Week!
April 15 – 19 (1 week), 9-3 pm (early and late care available)
$350/week.  REGISTER HERE
See our sliding scale page for more information about sliding-scale pricing.
Spring is here! Celebrate the end of winter with a week of making! This week typically coincides with Rocket Day (on a Saturday), sculpture building, and the Cambridge Science Festival for piles of DIY goodness. Register for a full week or for individual days.

How does camp work?

65 kids, 11 grown-ups, building, experimenting, hanging out, messing around, and playing together, with board games, foam swords, sewing machines, soldering irons, hot glue and screwdrivers and saws and drills. We offer a wide variety of fun projects and activities, but let the kids figure out what they want to do and mostly do it. It’s noisy and chaotic and playful, sometimes focused, sometimes frenetic, but it’s always interesting.

How the Day Works

Each day we offer a range of workshops and activities — computer programming, bookmaking, board game design, intro woodworking, igloo-making, and so on and so forth! We also offer plenty of time for kids to work on their own stuff, with staff available for one-on-one help on projects of various kinds. The day is structured into two large blocks, a morning and an afternoon section, with lunch happening at around 11:30 each day.

Sliding Scale and Scholarships

Everything we do is offered on a sliding scale, and we want to make it possible for anyone, no matter what their circumstances, to be part of Parts and Crafts if they decide that they’d like to.  To see if you are eligible, visit our sliding scale page here.
Visit our website!

To register online, visit www.partsandcrafts.org