Parts & Crafts CSCL Open House: Sat 10/5/19 12-3

Lorraine Gilman

Sep 30, 2019, 12:59:06 PM9/30/19
to Parts and Crafts Announcements
Parts and Crafts Center for Semi-Conducted Learning (CSCL
Open House Saturday October 5, 2019 12-3 pm
577 Somerville Ave, Somerville, MA

Have you been part of our summer camp or afterschool programs? Are you considering homeschooling or unschooling? Are you curious about what it would look like to join Parts and Crafts' homeschooling community?

The Center for Semi-Conducted Learning (CSCL) is a school alternative program open to homeschoolers, unschoolers, and other people aged 7 to 13 interested in sharing a fun, creative, and exploratory space with like-minded people.  This 2019-2020 school year has 5 full time co-directors as well as a number of guest staff and visitors, with almost 50 kids enrolled per week (so far)!

We are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m to 3 p.m., with classes offered in a wide variety of topics, including (but not limited to!) science, engineering, art, history, role playing, puppetry, miniatures, filmmaking,3D modeling & printing, Scratch programming, cartooning, debate, cooking, creative writing and more!  We offer onsite classes & open hangout Monday - Thursday, while Fridays are for offsite field trips to museums, outdoor nature centers, cultural sites, historical tours, and more!

What we offer is entirely based on what people ask for — our classes are designed around what people are excited to learn and do. Past topics have included: recreational math, board game design, Spanish, espionage, constitutional law, dinosaurs, fire, current events, geography, and others. We often bring in special guests to lead classes in their areas of expertise, including a lawyer, activists, engineers, musicians, foreign language teachers, etc.

Our school alternative is a super chill and fun place for kids to hang out, socialize, play games, form friendships, build stuff, take stuff apart, run around at the playground, and also learn some things along the way. Some families use the CSCL as a purely social space, doing the bulk of their academics elsewhere, while others do more academics with us.  Most families use our space as a mix of both social and academic.

If this sounds like something you'd like to learn more about, come join us! Current and former CSCL families are invited! Siblings, friends, & other family members welcome! Light refreshments provided. Please let us know if you have any questions!
open-house-flyer-sm.jpg