So long and thanks for all the fish!

17 vues

Katie Gradowski

non lue,
2 août 2018, 22:54:2802/08/2018
à Parts Announcements
Hi everyone!

My name is Katie.  I'm one of the co-directors at Parts and Crafts and have been since 2009 when we started running programs in the basement of the Brookline Church of Christ.  Chances are if you have gotten an email on this list, helped your child make a duct tape name tag, taken a class at the Fab Lab, or signed up for a program at Parts and Crafts, we've probably chatted in some capacity!

Starting in Fall 2018, I will be stepping away from P&C to take a full-time position at AS220, coordinating their Fab Lab, media lab, and print shop in Providence RI.  It's a big change and I'm sad to leave our amazing kid community, but it's a pretty incredible opportunity to do some work with an organization I really like and respect.  I'll still be around town and likely helping out with fundraising and outreach, but I'll be stepping away from direct work with kids and leaving P&C in the hands of my very capable co-directors -- Dina, Kelly, Will, Bissrat, Lorraine, and our fantastic new director Mike Gasper.  Mike is a long-time P&C parent who has been working in our afterschool, homeschool, and camp programs for over a year.   We are delighted to be bringing him on as a co-director!

Welcome Mike Gasper!   Michael is an educator with over 15 years experience teaching children in urban school districts both public and Charter. He taught Visual Arts for nearly a decade to students aged Kindergarten to Grade 5. Throughout his tenure as a public school art teacher, he created a summer school program called the “Urban Rangers” which brought together a single group of kids from grades 1 -5 to explore nature and art in their own urban neighborhood. He has been part of the Parts & Crafts staff working in the after school program, CSCL and leading the “Freestyle Fridays” group with another parent. He has two children who have been attending the Parts and Crafts CSCL program since 2015.

10 Years of Parts and Crafts!  This will be the 10th year of Parts and Crafts, which is pretty amazing to think about!   When Parts and Crafts started we were a tiny program running science workshops out of a suitcase in a church basement, and today we serve over 1000 kids each year across seven different programs.  Kids who first came to our program as campers are now working full-time as staff.  Working at Somerville High this year I got to see some of our *very first campers* get their college acceptance letters.  This year will be our third year working in partnership with the Welcome Project and Next Wave Full Circle, and we are excited to continue a great relationship with the City of Somerville through the Fab Lab and other programs.   It's been incredible to watch this organization evolve and grow alongside the kids in our care and gratifying see what you can accomplish with an awesome group of friends and a whole lot of duct tape!

With love and gratitude.  Parts and Crafts has been my home for the past nine years, and I'm thrilled to pass it off to my amazing co-directors who have grand plans for the future!    We have another email coming with some exciting news about fall programs and afterschool and homeschooling and Fab Lab classes and open shop and awesome things you should sign up for and participate in!  But for the time being I wanted to say THANK YOU!   Thank you for supporting us and helping us grow.   Thanks for sticking with us in the early days. Thanks for staying on this mailing list.   Above all, thank you for giving us an opportunity to work with your amazing children, who have touched and changed my life in more ways than I can count.

It's been a privilege to get to work with you all these last nine years and I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Katie

--
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur