[Parts+Crafts] Powderhouse Studios Update -- Public Hearing Tomorrow (2/6)

William Macfarlane

Feb 5, 2019, 9:42:22 PM2/5/19
to parts-and-crafts-boston-announcements
Hi friends,

As many of you know, over the last six years or so, some of our friends and collaborators at Sprout have been working with the City of Somerville, along with community members and other stakeholders to design a new, public, in-district innovation school.  This was previously called the Somerville STEAM Academy and is now called Powderhouse Studios.

Earlier this year, in January, the Somerville teacher's Association ratified an agreement authorizing the new school.  This is a huge step towards making Powderhouse Studios a reality.  Over the next couple of weeks the school committee and others will be meeting to discuss and vote on the Powderhouse Studios proposal.

There is a public hearing tomorrow at West Somerville Neighborhood School at 6pm.  I encourage interested Parts and Crafts families and community members to attend.

More information about Powderhouse Studios and the proposed innovation school can be found at their website

as well as on  the Somerville Schools webpage on the proposal

Powderhouse Studios has the potential to be a really amazing school that can bring opportunities for kid-focused, project-based, self-directed learning to students in the Somerville Schools.

I encourage everyone who cares about the future of school in Somerville to have a look at the proposal, attend some of the many meetings coming up over the next couple of months, and let your school committee members know how you feel about the project.

best,
-Will