Partners Issue # 107

1 view

G K Lim

Jul 12, 2005, 9:41:48 AM7/12/05
to part...@googlegroups.com
            ==================
            __/= p a r t n e r s =\__
Comments, feedback, suggestions, questions, etc.:
partner...@googlegroups.com or g...@gklim.com
Past issues:
or
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/partners

"IN THIS ISSUE"

[1]  Editor's Corner
[2]  Personal Development Article
[3]  Business Development Article
[4]  Attitude Vitamins
[5]  Stress Buster
[6]  Feel Good Classic
[7]  Chop Suey Rojak
[8]  Sponsors’ Messages

[1]  "EDITOR'S CORNER"

Setting goals is an integral part of keeping us motivated to continue "stretching past" our current state of being. A common pitfall that many people encounter is setting goals that are too big, or not specific enough. The S.M.A.R.T. formula is an easy method for helping you set goals that are challenging enough to make you stretch, but not so challenging that they are unattainable. Read about smart in our Personal Development article below.

Our Business Development article is on marketing.  Make marketing part of your habit. The most efficient way to do this is to create structure around your marketing efforts. Wendy Maynard offers helpful tips on ways to make marketing a habit.

And our Feel Good Classic is about Ugly, a dirty, ugly cat nobody wanted.  Well, Ugly can teach us a thing or two about how to deal with others.

As usual our other departments are packed with goodies for the PMEE -- professional, manager, executive and entrepreneur.

Enjoy issue # 107!

Cheers!

G K Lim < www.gklim.com >
Editor / Publisher

[2]  "ARTICLE -- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT"

Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals
By Tanja Haley

I cannot stress the importance of setting goals enough. Goals give us something to work toward, and help us feel like we are moving along a specific path. Establishing goals invites us to look at the big picture, break it down into smaller pieces, and get started toward accomplishing our important hopes and dreams.

It seems though, that many people aren’t quite sure how to set goals. One of the most common problems is that their goals tend to be too big. It is much easier to achieve smaller goals that fit with a larger objective, than to try and accomplish everything all at once. Here are some simple tips that you might find helpful:

Formulate two to three goals that you want to work toward in the next six months. Use the S.M.A.R.T. technique to help you define these goals:

1)         Specific - set clear, concrete goals. Some examples might be implementing an exercise plan, working toward a certification, or improving your relationship with your spouse.

2)         Measurable - identify markers that will indicate when you have reached your goals. If your goal is implementing an exercise plan, a marker is going to the gym three times per week. Or, if you want to have a better relationship with your spouse a marker might be checking in with him/her for at least 10 minutes per day.

3)         Achievable - ensure that your goals are realistic. Ask yourself the question of whether your goal is actually achievable or not, and be honest! For example, setting the goal of losing 10 pounds in two weeks is not realistic (and definitely not healthy!).

4)         Relevant - choose goals that are applicable to your personal or professional development. Make sure that these goals are something you are truly invested in, because you will be focusing a great deal of time and energy on them.

5)         Time-Related - set a timeline that will guide your progress. Specifying a goal for two years down the road is not as powerful a motivator as one that you set for the next six months.

Once you have set a couple of goals for yourself that you feel comfortable with, share those goals with a close family member or friend. Often voicing them out loud makes them much more tangible, and may increase your motivation for reaching them. Also, the person you entrust with these goals could become a cheerleader, and someone to celebrate your successes with.

Rick Hansen sums up the importance of setting S.M.A.R.T. goals very well:

“The goal you set must be challenging. At the same time, it should be realistic and attainable, not impossible to reach. It should be challenging enough to make you stretch, but not so far that you break.”

Dr. Tanja Haley is a psychologist in private practice in Calgary, Alberta. She specializes in working with couples, and with adults dealing with stress, depression, and trauma issues. Along with a full-time private practice, Tanja also teaches for the Campus Alberta program in counseling and is an Oral Examiner for the College of Alberta Psychologists. You can contact Tanja at dr.t...@shaw.ca, or visit her website: http://www.drtanja.com

[3]  "ARTICLE -- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

For Ongoing Success, Make Marketing a Habit
By Wendy Maynard

Make Marketing a Must, Not a Maybe

When business is booming, it’s easy to put marketing on the back burner. Why focus attention on getting new customers when you already have all you can handle? The reason is simple: when things slow down, you want to have new clients in the pipeline. Make marketing part of your habit. The most efficient way to do this is to create structure around your marketing efforts. Here are some tips:

 1. Make time for marketing:  In your calendar, schedule time each week for your marketing and sales activities. It could be an hour every other day, or a chunk of time on one day of the week. Don’t make this time optional – honor this slice of your week as a time devoted to moving your business forward.

 2. Marketing is a mindset:  You never know when an opportunity to help someone out with your services/products will arise. Always be prepared to speak enthusiastically about what your company does. Once you get used to this way of thinking, it’s easy to communicate your company’s value without being pushy.

 3. Develop a marketing system: Do what makes sense to you – you can create a simple spreadsheet, make notes in your planner, or sketch out activities on a large flipchart sheet on the wall. The point is to make an annual profile of your marketing activities including: networking events, trade shows, advertising deadlines, direct mailings, seminars, and so on. Schedule marketing and stick to it!

4. Ask for referrals:  Word-of-mouth is the most effective way to get new customers. Ask your current and former clients to pass your name and contact information on to their circle. When finishing a sales cycle with a customer, ask for referral recommendations. If you don’t ask, people may not think to offer.

5. Contact past customers: Make sure you keep in touch with your past customers. These are the people who know your services and who have enjoyed their benefits. Often, a simple call to check in with them will lead to new sales for your company. You can invite them out for coffee if you live nearby.

6. Don't delay: Don't wait until you NEED to make a sale. Your mission is not to say, “I’m kinda low on work right now.” or “My sales are down. Wanna buy something?” Build and reinforce your bond with a wide variety of people - customers, leads, referrers, vendors, and so on. Ultimately, people buy from people they trust and like. Often, work comes in simply because you happen to be in the picture at an opportune time. Or, it may be someone has an associate who is looking for a service or product you have to offer - who better to recommend than you?!

 ACTION ITEM:  This week, carve out time dedicated to your marketing activities. Work on your annual calendar and call clients for referral suggestions. Make a commitment to your marketing and you’ll find your business will grow as a result.

Wendy Maynard, your friendly marketing maven, is the owner of Kinesis. Kinesis specializes in marketing, graphic and website design, and business writing. Visit http://www.kinesisinc.com/resources/articles.html for more articles and free marketing wisdom. Want to harness the power of kinetic marketing? Sign up for Kinesis Quickies, a free bi-monthly marketing e-newsletter: http://www.news.kinesisinc.com

Visit Wendy's marketing blog, "Kinetic Ideas" at: http://www.wendy.kinesisinc.com

[4]  "ATTITUDE VITAMINS"

Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side. -- Michael W. Smith

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. -- Winston Churchill

Managers are people who do things right, and leaders are people who do the right thing.-- Warren G. Bennis and Burt Nanus

Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit. -- Napoleon Hill

Hold a picture of yourself long and steadily enough in your mind's eye, and you will be drawn toward it. -- Napoleon Hill

You are not your personal history.  You are not your story. -- Eckhart Tolle

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. -- Norman Vincent Peale

Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it. -- William Durant

If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life. -- Confucius

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution. -- Bertrand Russell

If one sticks too rigidly to one's principles, one would hardly see anybody. -- Agatha Christie

One person with a belief is equal to the force of 99 who have only interests. -- John Stuart Mill

Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life is the soul's nursery -- its training place for the destinies of eternity. -- William Makepeace Thackeray

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself. -- Chinese Proverb

In youth we learn; In age we understand. -- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

[5]  "STRESS BUSTER"

Negotiations between union members and their employer were at an impasse. The union denied that their workers were flagrantly abusing the sick-leave provisions set out by their contract.

One morning at the bargaining table, the company's chief negotiator held aloft the morning edition of the newspaper, "This man," he announced, "called in sick yesterday!"

There on the sports page, was a photo of the supposedly ill employee, who had just won a local golf tournament with an excellent score.

A union negotiator broke the silence in the room.  "Wow!" he said. "Just think of the score he could have had if he wasn't sick!"

When a young man left his dorm and moved into an apartment, he went shopping for cleaning equipment. His cart was loaded with a broom, mop, dust-pan, sponges and a full array of cleaning products. At the last minute he topped off his cart with a single, large bag of potato chips.

Seeing the checkout clerk's look, he explained, "I'm a very messy eater."

When the English Playwright Oscar Wilde arrived at his club late at night after witnessing the first presentation of a play that had been a complete failure, someone asked. "How did your play go tonight, Oscar?"

"Oh," said Wilde, "the play was a great success. The audience was a failure."

[6]  "FEEL GOOD CLASSIC"

Ugly

Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love.

The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye, and where the other should have been was a gaping hole.

He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner.

His tail has long since been lost, leaving only the smallest stub, which he would constantly jerk and twitch.

Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby striped-type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, even his shoulders with thick, yellowing scabs.

Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!!"

All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave.

Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit.

If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around feet in forgiveness.

Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically, and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love.

If ever picked up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor's huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled.

From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid.

By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's sad life was almost at an end.

Ugly lay in a wet circle, his back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front.

As I picked him up and tried to carry him home I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling.

I must be hurting him terribly I thought. Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear.  Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying was trying to suckle my ear.

I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring.

Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled-scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion.

At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, or even try to get away from me, or struggle in any way.

Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful.

He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.

Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me, I will always try to be Ugly.

- Source Unknown

[7]  "CHOP SUEY ROJAK"

Note: If long URL’s break, please cut and paste.

Use F I S H to network for more business:
http://www.pegine.com/GoFishE-Book.pdf

IQ to EQ to SQ: a journey we ought to take
By Lalith Weeratunga
Ever since the concept of Intelligence Quotient (IQ) was introduced to the world, individuals and organizations alike became accustomed to it using it as a measure of one's intelligence and a predictor of one's success. IQ was thought to measure our intellectual or rational intelligence to solve logical or strategic problems. Many tests were designed to measure IQ of persons.
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/030921/ft/16.htm

Talent Management : Current Trends & Challenges
- by M. U. Jayadeva de Silva *
In the 1940s and 1950s, conditions outside the organization were relatively stable. Most work demanded little by way of specialized training and expertise. People matters were not much more than personnel administration. Personnel work basically concentrated on attracting and retaining people as administering benefit and welfare systems. Influence of the militaries, the oldest known organizations, on structures systems and procedures of industrial organizations could be clearly seen.
http://www.coolavenues.com/know/hr/talent_mgmt_jayadeva.php3

The Five Phases of the Appreciative Process
http://www.clergyleadership.com/clergy/ai.html

Free Soft Skills Training:
http://tutorials.freeskills.com/index/category/96/all/1

Free Business Skills Resources:
http://print-a-poster.p-rposters.com/

Free Soft Skills Tutorial:
http://tutorials.freeskills.com/index/category/96/all/1

Free Motivation Posters :) print direct to your PC
http://print-a-poster.p-rposters.com/

Free Management Library:
http://www.mapnp.org/library/

Note again: If long URL’s break, please cut and paste.

[8]  "SPONSORS’ MESSAGES"

In-house training programs facilitated by G K Lim

How To Sell Successfully To Corporate Customers
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_successfully.html

How To Lead Your Sales Team So That They Consistently Exceed Sales Quotas
(Leadership skills for the sales manager / supervisor)
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_lead.html

IT'S A DEAL! -- Negotiating For Marketing, Sales and Business Success
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_negotiation.html

WE DO CARE: Creating The Attitude of Service
(Customer service excellence skills)
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_care.html

Need more info? Please contact:
Kelly Teoh, Program Manager
Human Resources Services (1419991-U)
Tel: 03-238 11 060
Fax: 03-238 11 018; E-fax: 019-232 8312
Email: ke...@gklim.com

Learn "How To Heal With Your Hands" through the two-day Quantum-Touch Interactive Video Workshop, featuring Richard Gordon on video, facilitated by G K Lim and Kelly Teoh, on Sat & Sun, 06 & 07 August, 2005, 9 am to 5 pm, at Wira Hotel, near PWTC LRT Station, KL.

RAVE REVIEWS ON QUANTUM-TOUCH

“Quantum-Touch is a significant breakthrough in hands-on healing… an essential and invaluable skill for every lay person and professional practitioner.”
Alternative Medicine Magazine

"Quantum-Touch appears to be the first technique that may truly allow us all to become healers."
Dr. C. Norman Shealy, MD., Ph. D.

"Quantum-Touch is a powerful hands-on healing technique that can be used effectively by lay people as well as professionals. I highly recommend it."
Dr. Patricia Warkus, M.D.

"I am thrilled at the simplicity and the effectiveness of this technique. Quantum-Touch is a great awakening."
John Jacobs, Ph.D.

"Quantum-Touch is easy to learn, has a significant impact on the body's energy system and can make profound shifts in people's lives."
Dr. Leonard Laskow, M.D.

Fee: RM 290 per pax (inclusive of tea/snacks and set lunch on both days, plus certificate and course credit from Quantum-Touch USA).  If you don’t want the certificate and course credit from Quantum-Touch USA, then you pay only RM 190 (that's inclusive of tea/snacks and set lunch on both days).  Immediate family members (parents, brothers, sisters, spouse and children) get a RM 40 discount per pax in current or future workshops.  To repeat workshop, hotel and admin fee of RM 75 applies. If confused or for more info, please call G K Lim / Kelly Teoh 03-23811060, 019-2268987, g...@gklim.com.

Privacy Policy: We do not rent or sell your email address. Period.

Compilation © Copyright 2005 G K Lim, All Rights Reserved

            ^^ = end of communication = ^^