Partners Issue # 102

G K Lim

Mar 5, 2005, 9:30:34 PM3/5/05
to part...@googlegroups.com
==================
__/= p a r t n e r s =\__
==================
Dedicated to the personal and professional development of PMEE's --
professionals, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs -- everywhere.

Issue # 102
Seventh year in publication
Since July 1, 1998
Current number of subscribers: 2,102

"IN THIS ISSUE"

[1] Editor's Corner
[2] Article For Your Personal Development: "Ten Ways to Relax on the Go"
[3] Article For Your Business Development: "Eight Sources of Power in a
Sales Negotiation"
[4] Attitude Vitamins
[5] Stress Buster
[6] Feel Good Classic: "Just Let Go"
[7] Chop Suey Rojak
[8] Sponsors' Messages

[1] "EDITOR'S CORNER"

This issue goes out on December 31, 2004 -- and some of you will read this
on January 01, 2005. Happy New Year!

But they are not celebrating the new year. Not with 116,000 people dead in
countries bordering the Indian Ocean. Oh? More than that? Clearly a
tragedy of biblical proportions. You have, however, been bombarded with
news about the effects of the tsunamis. I don't want to add to that.

Those of us still living need to go on living. Don't get me wrong. What I
am saying is, let us continue building the world, giving the best of
ourselves in whatever endeavor we find ourselves in. If you are a brain
surgeon, be the best brain surgeon you can ever be. If you are a road
sweeper, be the best road sweeper you can ever be.

In the midst of the turmoil created by the tsunamis, I am putting together
this issue of the ezine that has been my labor of love for the past seven
years. As I said, life goes on.

What's in store for you in this issue?

Mike Moore, in his article "Ten Ways to Relax on the Go," gives us some
ideas on how to relax this holiday season. Logical and practical, his
ideas. Give them a try.

Looking for power in sales negotiation? Kevin Davis, in his article, "Eight
Sources of Power in a Sales Negotiation" says "NO TRICKS!" Duh?

The perception of power affects the ability of each party to achieve its own
goals, and the more negotiating power you have in comparison to that of TOP
(the other party), the fewer concessions you'll have to make.

For each party in a negotiation, there are eight sources of power. These are
need, options, time, relationships, investment, credibility, knowledge, and
skills. To remember the eight sources of power just remember the acronym NO
TRICKS!

In the area of living, when you find that certain situations seem to
overwhelm you, just let go. You cannot keep on carrying other people's
burdens on your shoulders. It's okay to let go. More on this in our Feel
Good Classic department.

Okay, enjoy issue # 102!

Cheers!

G K Lim < www.gklim.com >
Editor / Publisher

[2] "ARTICLE -- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT"

Ten Ways to Relax on the Go

by Mike Moore

1. Take three deep breaths slowly. It really works to relax the body and
mind.

2. Relax the tongue. Usually the tongue is held tightly against the teeth.
Free it up in the mouth so it can just rest there without tension.

3. Take one minute vacations. In your mind visit places where you find peace
and stillness. Picture yourself there soaking up the beauty and solitude.

4. Relax your facial muscles. When we are tense we frown and squint which
adds to the tension. Tell your facial muscles to relax and they will. Try to
maintain this relaxed face throughout the day.

5 .Move slowly. When you find yourself rushing for no reason, SLOW DOWN.

6. Laugh more. Laughter cuts stress and promotes relaxation.

7. Listen to beautiful music. Mozart calms the restless spirit.

8. Watch and enjoy the sunset.

9. Visualize yourself as a balloon being inflated. As you breathe in, the
balloon fills with your stress and tension. Then breathe out all the stress
and tension leaving yourself limp and relaxed.

10. Enjoy the rhythm and beauty of nature for its lessons are patience and
peace.

RELAX FOR EASY POWER.

REMEMBER THAT RECREATION ISN'T RELAXATION, IT'S DIVERSION.

Subscribe to Mike's free LIFELINE newsletter at www.motivationalplus.com

LIVE BETTER......LAUGH MORE
About the Author
Mike Moore, Brantford ON Canada
http://www.motivationalplus.com
Mike Moore is an international speaker on " Humor and Stress Management and
" Humor in the Workplace" He travels throughout North America giving
speeches and seminars to business groups and organizations. His writing and
cartoons have appeared in newspapers and magazines throughout Canada and the
U.S.A. He works out of Brantford ON Canada

[3] "ARTICLE -- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

Eight Sources of Power in a Sales Negotiation

By Kevin Davis

Negotiating power plays a major role in every type of negotiation, whether
it's a labor negotiation, political negotiation, or a buy-sell negotiation.
Both the buyer and the seller have power in a negotiation. Power is each
side's perception of its strength or weakness in comparison to the other.

This perception of power affects the ability of each party to achieve its
own goals, and the more negotiating power you have in comparison to that of
your buyer, the fewer concessions you'll have to make.

For each party in a negotiation, there are eight sources of power. These are
need, options, time, relationships, investment, credibility, knowledge, and
skills. To remember the eight sources of power just remember the acronym NO
TRICKS.

N stands for need. The essential question here is: who needs this sale more,
the buyer or the Seller? The more intense the buyer's need, the more power
the Seller has. The more intense your need to make the sale, the more power
your buyer will have.

The "O" in no tricks stands for options. What are the options for each party
if an agreement is not reached?

A buyer who believes that your product or service is unique has no other
options. Your other options consist of the other sales opportunities you
have waiting in the wings. The more options you have, and the fewer
acceptable options your buyer has, the greater your negotiating power.

T stands for time, which refers to any impending events that place a
deadline on either the buyer or the seller. If the buyer is under time
pressure, it usually gives the salesperson negotiating strength.

In commercial real estate, for example, the expiration of an old lease may
put time pressure on the tenant to find new office space. The time factor
also affects many other purchases related to the move, such as hiring a
contractor, selecting office furnishings and business equipment, and so on.
A deadline creates time pressure and limits the buyer's opportunity to shop
around.

If you are feeling time pressure, perhaps to close the sale by the end of a
quota period, your buyer will have time power. Several years ago, I had the
opportunity to win my company's annual incentive vacation - a trip to
Bermuda. On the last day of the year, I needed a $2,000 sale to achieve my
annual quota of $3 million. Needless to say, I felt time pressure! I made
hefty concessions that day, but I won the trip.

"R" in NO TRICKS stands for relationship power. How strong is your
relationship with your prospect? If you have a high quantity of high quality
relationships with your customer you have relation-ship power. But some
customers may not allow you to develop these relationships. They may tell
you that you can only talk to purchasing. Obviously, in such a situation,
you'll have a hard time developing relationship power.

"I" in NO TRICKS stands for investment. How much time and energy has been
invested in the buying process? The more effort someone invests, the more
committed he or she will be to reaching an agreement. The more energy your
buyer puts into a buying process, the more negotiating power you'll have.
Conversely, the buyer's power of investment is enhanced when you've put a
lot of time and energy into a prospective sale. If you put 20 hours into
preparing a proposal, you'll have a hard time walking away from the deal.

"C" stands for credibility. When I was selling dictating machines for Lanier
Business Products, a salesperson in our Washington D.C. office sold a
portable dictating machine directly to President Carter in the Oval Office.
Subsequent photographs of the president showed his dictating machine on his
desk. Having the president as a customer enhanced Lanier's credibility. If
President Carter had chosen to use his credibility power to get a better
price, he certainly could have done so. However, the president had a few
other things on his mind than the three hundred dollar purchase price.

"K" in no tricks stands for knowledge. Knowledge is power. You have
knowledge power when you thoroughly understand your customers' problems and
needs and can foresee how the products or services you are offering will
help them achieve those needs.

Conversely, if your customers know as much as you do, or perhaps more, about
the application of a particular sales solution, they're less reliant on you.
A few years ago, IBM reorganized its sales forced to emphasize
industry-specific expertise so that their sales- people would become more
knowledgeable about their customers' businesses. IBM has 14 industry sales
teams dedicated to areas such as healthcare, travel, and financial services.
IBM recognizes that salespeople are not adding value to the buy-sell
relationship unless they know more than the buyers do.

Finally, the "S" in NO TRICKS stands for skill. Who is the most skillful
negotiator?

Buyers are making more buying decisions today, and are getting better at it.
Many buyers have attended seminars to improve their negotiating skills,
which means they're gaining more skill power. Today, you must constantly
improve your skills, just to keep up.

How to Get More Negotiating Power

N - power. For more Need power, uncover more important needs. Think of a
prospect you're currently working with, and the problem they have that you
can solve. If your prospect decides to do nothing, how much will it cost
them? If the cost is significant, you have Need power. If it isn't, you
don't. And if you don't know what it will cost them, you didn't uncover a
need. Can you get back in there and find out
the answer?

For more Options power, you want to influence your prospect's buying
criteria early in a sales process. Strive to make the strengths of your
offering important to your buyer before the "shopping" phase.

Find out if Time is a factor in the negotiation.

For more Investment power, get your prospect more involved in the
decision-making process. Instead of giving them a brochure of your product,
take them to one of your installations and show it to them in action. The
more energy your prospect invests, the more committed they'll be to reaching
a decision - and the more investment power you'll have.

For more credibility power, get testimonial letters from your biggest
customers. Ask your best customers what they have found unique about your
product and the results they've achieved. You might be surprised with what
they tell you!

For more knowledge power, ask more questions throughout the sales process so
you learn more about your customers' needs. To test the validity of the
information, have more than one source of information from inside your
customer's business. Then, if a purchasing agent tries to pull the wool over
your eyes with misinformation, you'll be ready.

For more skill power, become a student of negotiations. Ask the best
negotiator you know how he or she does it. Buy a book or tape program.
Attend a seminar. You too can be a great negotiator, but it won't happen by
accident. In sales, when you sharpen your skills, you make more money.

About the Author...
Kevin Davis is president of Kevin Davis Selling Systems LLC,
and provides sales and sales management training programs to corporations.
Clients include BellSouth, IKON, Siebel Systems, as well as many smaller,
aggressive growth companies. He is the author of the award-winning book and
audiobook, "Getting Into Your Customer's Head", which is available at
Kevin's website http://www.customershead.com and at Amazon.com

FREE Report - "15 Biggest Mistakes Salespeople Make"
http://www.customershead.com/resources/article.html

Kevin can be reached at (888) 545-SELL or (925) 831-0922
Ke...@CustomersHead.com

[4] "ATTITUDE VITAMINS"

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will
serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because
that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to
postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too. -- JFK

Your belief system acts as your interpreter. -- Author Unknown

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend. -- Henri Bergson

We see only that which we expect to see. Without expectation, we see
All. -- Author Unknown

When you break your word, you break the one thing that cannot be mended. --
Author Unknown

If you fall, land on your back, because if you can look up, you can get
up. -- Les Brown

Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is
made up of little things. -- Frank A. Clark

An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind -- Mahatma Gandhi

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing. -- George Bernard Shaw

If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self. -- Napoleon Hill

No matter what has happened to you in the past, it has brought you to this
moment. -- Eckhart Tolle

If it ain't broke, improve it. -- Vulcan

You must be the change you wish to see in the world -- Mahatma Gandhi

Never allow your schooling to interfere with your education -- Mark Twain

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. --
William Butler Yeats

[5] "STRESS BUSTER"

Bumper Stickers

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Procrastinate Now!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

HAM AND EGGS - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

If you can read this, thank a teacher!

My husband and I divorced over religious differences. He thought he was God
and I didn't!

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

An absent-minded husband thought he had conquered his problem of trying to
remember his wife's birthday and their anniversary. He opened an account
with a florist, provided that florist with the dates and instructions to
send flowers to his wife on these dates along with an appropriate note
signed, "Your loving husband."

His wife was thrilled by this new display of attention and all went well
until next year, on their anniversary, when he came home, kissed his wife
and said off-handedly, "Nice flowers, honey. Where'd you get them?"

A little girl went up to her mother one day while holding her stomach
saying, "Mommy, my stomach hurts."

Her mother replied, "That's because it's empty, you have to put something
into it!" She then prepared a bowl of soup.

Later that day when the pastor and his wife were over for dinner. The
pastor began to feel bad. Holding his head he said, "I have such a terrible
headache!"

The little girl looked up at him, giving him the sweetest smile that any
little child could give. Then she said, "That's because it's empty, you
have to put something into it!"

[6] "FEEL GOOD CLASSIC"

Just Let Go

By Anonymous

Courtesy of OM's HOME: Spiritual Inspiration
http://omshome.com

To "let go" does not mean to stop caring; it means to
accept that I can't do it for someone else.

To "let go" is not to cut myself off; it is the realization
I can't control another.

To "let go" is not to enable, but to allow learning from
the natural consequences of the choices we make.

To "let go" is to acknowledge that which I cannot change
and to pursue that which I can.

To "let go" is to admit powerlessness, which means the
outcome is out of my hands.

To "let go" is not to try to change or blame another; it is
to make the most of myself.

To "let go" is not to care for but to care about.

To "let go" is not to fix but to be supportive.

To "let go" is not to judge but to allow another to be a
human being.

To "let go" is not to be in the middle arranging all the
outcomes but to allow others to effect their own destinies.

To "let go" is not to be protective; it is to permit
another to face reality.

To "let go" is not to deny but to accept.

To "let go" is not to nag, scold or argue, but instead to
search out my own shortcomings and to correct them.

To "let go" is not to adjust everything to my own desires
but to take each day as it comes and to cherish myself in
it.

To "let go" is not to criticize and regulate anybody but to
try to become what I dream I can be.

To "let go" is not regret the past nor fear the future but
to grow and live in the present.

To "let go" is to forgive, not to condone.

To "let go" is to free myself of my collection of past
hurts and resentments.

To "let go" is to fear less and to love more.

[7] "CHOP SUEY ROJAK"

Note: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

Rule number 1 is to discern what can and cannot be changed in the given
situation.

Number 2 is self-control, using only behavior that is constructive towards
achieving positive results in that situation.

Number 3 is to effect changes in the environment of that situation to
influence/manage future incidents as far as possible.

The Placebo Effect
This conversation focuses on one of the most controversial treatments
around - medication for depression. Professor Helen Mayberg from Emory
University in Atlanta, Georgia, has done research in this area. She did
brain scans of people taking an active drug versus a placebo to see the
placebo effect in action. And Professor Arthur Barsky from Harvard Medical
School talks about nocebos. A nocebo is the flipside of the placebo and can
actually bring harm.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s1266652.htm

Whole Brain Thinking - Why Bother?
A great article on why people act the way they act
http://www.nzpf.ac.nz/resources/magazine/2003/aug/Whole%20Brain%20Thinking%20Art\
icle.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/6jkjy

He Who Moves First Finishes Last
Ever heard of management gurus who tell you to be the first to get into any
new area of business? "Be the first," they say. "The early bird gets the
worm." Well, it seems the gurus are wrong..
http://fastcompany.com/magazine/38/cdu.html

Note again: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

[8] "SPONSORS' MESSAGES"

G K Lim's public training programs for March 2005:

How To Sell Successfully to Corporate Customers, on March 1 and 2, 2005

It's A Deal! -- Negotiating for Marketing, Sales and Business Success, on
March 8 and 9, 2005

How To Lead Your Sales Team So That They Consistently Exceed Sales Quotas --
Leadership Aspects of Sales Management, on March 23 and 24, 2005

We Do Care -- creating the attitude of service, on May 17 and 18, 2005

All held at the JW Marriott, KL

For details of any program, please contact:
Danniel Lim or Kelly Teoh
Human Resources Services -- enhancing your organization's profitability &
market share
No. B-23-2, Level 23, Sri Intan One, 5th Mile, Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: 6-03-23811060, 6-019-2268987
Fax: 6-03-23811018
E-fax: 6-019-2328312
Email: hrser...@myjaring.net or g...@gklim.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Training Classes is a free online directory of training providers, courses
and certification programs for students and trainers. Connecting those who
wish to learn with those who love to teach
http://www.training-classes.com/course_hierarchy/keyword_index/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Jack Wilner Key Account Management Program, a two-day participative
program for sales professionals on how to manage major accounts, developed
by Wilner & Co, Inc., and conducted by certified facilitator, G. K. Lim,
CMS, FInstSMM, CEI, is designed for salespeople who have the responsibility
for one or more major accounts. It can also be helpful to any salesperson
who wishes to become more professional. Available in-house. For details,
please write to gklimd...@cscms.com or ke...@gklim.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oak Training www.oaktraining.com is the supplier of choice of innovative,
practical and competitively priced downloadable training content. Over 50
organizational, management and employee modules available without the
traditional barriers associated with purchasing training content. Once you
have selected the module(s) you require they are yours to use as often or as
wide as you deem appropriate. In other words,

- No Constraining Licences
- No Complicated Contracts
- No Purchasing of keys to Use
- No One-Trainer Rules

And most importantly No Restrictions on Customization.

Recently Oak Training slashed its fees by 50%.

On the top of that, if a "Partners" subscriber buys a training program from
Oak Training, he/she qualifies for a further 20% discount on the current
price. BUT you need to inform us first through partn...@oaktraining.com
to qualify for the 20% discount on the current price.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The World's First SUCCESS TV Internet site has now been launched by Michele
Blood www.MPowerTV.com Watch and learn FREE interviews with the worlds
leading experts in Money, Motivation, Music, Exercise, Business, Metaphysics
and Positive Children's Education, Health, Beauty care and much more. Go now
to and become a success www.MPowerTV.com (link MPOWERTV )

Privacy Policy: We do not rent or sell your email address. Period.

Compilation © Copyright 2005 G K Lim, All Rights Reserved

^^ = end of communication = ^^