"Partners" Issue # 104

G K Lim

Mar 6, 2005, 7:20:43 AM3/6/05
to part...@googlegroups.com
==================
__/= p a r t n e r s =\__
==================
Dedicated to the personal and professional development of PMEE's --
professionals, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs -- everywhere.

Issue # 104
Seventh year in publication
Since July 1, 1998
Current number of subscribers: 2,102

Comments, feedback, suggestions, questions, etc.:
partner...@googlegroups.com or g...@gklim.com

"IN THIS ISSUE"

[1] Editor's Corner
[2] Article For Your Personal Development: "Exploring the 'Should's': Is it
Necessity, Desire, or Guilt?"
[3] Article For Your Business Development: " Don't Be Afraid Of Silence"
[4] Attitude Vitamins
[5] Stress Buster
[6] Feel Good Classic: "Good Karma - suggested by the DALAI LAMA"
[7] Chop Suey Rojak
[8] Sponsors' Messages

[1] "EDITOR'S CORNER"

This issue contains lots of links of interest. If you have no time to read
all links, keep this issue for future reference.

Well, enjoy issue # 104!

Cheers!

G K Lim < www.gklim.com >
Editor / Publisher

[2] "ARTICLE -- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT"

Exploring the "Should's": Is it Necessity, Desire, or Guilt?

By Jennifer Koretsky

How many times a day do you find yourself using the word "should"? ADDers
are full of "should's": I should do the dishes, I should clean out the
fridge, I should see that movie, I should call my friend, etc. The word
"should" can be very dangerous to an adult with ADD, because it often
results in guilt.

In order to break through this and help you prioritize the things that you
"should" do, try exploring your "should's" by asking yourself the following
question:

Is this a necessity, a desire, or guilt? Here are some examples:

I should do my taxes.

Necessity: If you don't do your taxes, you can find your finances slipping
out of control. You can end up owing the government penalty fees. And you
will absolutely have undue stress. This "should" is a necessity.

I should buy that CD.

Desire: This is something that you want to make you happy. You like the
music you hear, and therefore you want to own it. This "should" is a desire.

I should clean my house more often.

Guilt: If the "should" comes when you compare yourself to others, then guilt
is probably involved. It often happens when we feel like we are not living
up to the performance or expectations of others (or our perceived
performance/expectations of others.)

If you visit a friend's house and its neat and clean, you may falsely
interpret this to mean that your friend cleans all the time. In reality,
your friend may have spent hours cleaning her/his house before you arrived
to make it look nice! If you are physically and mentally comfortable with
the amount of time you spend cleaning your house, then cleaning more often
is not a necessity, it's not a desire, its a "should" that is just useless
guilt!

Try this exercise for a whole day. Every time you find yourself using the
word "should," ask yourself if its a necessity, desire, or guilt. I promise
that you'll feel a lot a better about all the things you think you "should"
be doing!

newsletter, The ADD Management Guide, please visit
http://www.addmanagement.com/e-newsletter.htm
jenn...@addmanagement.com

[3] "ARTICLE -- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

Don't Be Afraid Of Silence

By Mark Harrison

In any conversation with two or more people, there is a tendency to want to
talk all the time to fill any awkward silences or gaps that appear in a
conversation.

However, if you think of the conversations that you have with your closest
friends or family, you will notice that there isn't the same need to fill
these gaps, as silences between you are comfortable. This is generally
because you know the other person and the type of character that they are.

Now, if we change this scenario to the sales process you will see that it is
a completely different feeling to the one above. Suddenly silence is your
worst enemy, the one thing to be avoided during negotiations, the
realisation that you are losing the sale.

Well actually, that last statement is completely wrong!

Because a person does not say too much during negotiations does not mean
that you are losing the sale. Yes, silence can be awkward to some but to
those of you who want to win, silence can be your best friend.

During the negotiations, you will ask your customer a number of open
questions and that is absolutely the right thing to do. However once you
have asked the question, DO NOT fill the space! Resist the temptation to put
words into their mouth.

In other words:

"Ask your open question and then say absolutely nothing until they have
replied"

No matter how awkward it becomes or how uncomfortable it may seem, leave
your customer to reply. If it takes 5 minutes then so be it. They MUST be
allowed to reply in their own time without any help from you.

The reason I am pushing this point is that customers (and people in general)
do not like silence. They particularly do not like long silences and they
feel that they have to fill the space up with words. Before you know it they
have committed to all sorts of things.

So, don't be afraid of the silence and let your customers talk their way
into your sale.

Mark Anthony Harrison is a salesman. He is Head of Sales for the UK division
of a US investment bank. He also lectures on sales development and
management theory. To find out more visit him at
http://www.managing2success.com

[4] "ATTITUDE VITAMINS"

It is not important who is right; but what is right. -- Thomas Huxley

Goodwill is the one and only asset, that competition cannot undersell or
destroy. -- Marshall Field

Through the aid of the sixth sense, you will be warned of impending dangers
in time to avoid them and notified of opportunities in time to embrace
them. -- Napoleon Hill

There comes to your aid and to do your bidding, with the development of the
sixth sense, a 'guardian angel' who will open to you at all times the door
to the temple of wisdom. -- Napoleon Hill

It is our special duty, that if anyone needs our help, We should give him
such help to our utmost powers. -- Cicero

If you don't have time to do it right, When are you going to have time to do
it again? -- Author Unknown

Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure. -- Thomas
Alva Edison

Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking
ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not. -- Vaclav
Havel

Strength is a matter of the made-up mind. -- John Beecher

When you give someone a book, you don't give him just paper, ink, and glue.
You give him the possibility of a whole new life. -- Christopher Morley

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably
never do much of anything. -- Win Borden

Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills. -- Minna
Antrim

Nurture great thoughts for you cannot go higher than your thoughts. --
Benjamin Disraeli

There was never a genius without a tincture of madness. -- Aristotle

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. --
Henry B. Adams

[5] "STRESS BUSTER"

First grade-true story:

One day, a first-grade teacher was reading the story of the "Three Little
Pigs" to her class. She came to the part of the story where the first pig
was trying to accumulate the building materials for his home. She read,
"...And so the pig went up to the man with the wheelbarrow full of straw and
said, 'Pardon me, sir, but may I have some of that straw to build my house?'
The teacher paused, then asked the class, "...And what do you think that man
said?"

One little boy raised his hand and said, "I think he said 'Holy crap! A
talking pig!'"

The teacher was unable to teach for the next 10 minutes.

People are getting stronger.

Twenty years ago, it took two people to carry ten dollars' worth of
groceries.

Today, a five-year-old can do it.

Bill operates a pay phone in his grocery store.

The pay phone has been out of order for some time, and no matter how many
times he calls the pay phone company to report the problem, they don't come
to attend to it.

One day Bill contacts the pay phone company and tells them there's no need
to rush. The phone, for some reason, is now working fine, except that all
money is being returned upon completion of each call.

A repairman arrives within the hour!

[6] "FEEL GOOD CLASSIC"

Good Karma - suggested by the DALAI LAMA
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great
risk.
2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R's: Respect for self, Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke
of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don't let a little dispute injure a great relationship
7. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct
it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back,
you'll
be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for
your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation.
Don't bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
17.Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each
other exceeds your need for each other.
18.Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

Source: Institute of Management of Sri Lanka

[7] "CHOP SUEY ROJAK"

Note: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

Complete Guide to Ethics Management:

An Ethics Toolkit for Managers

The profession of business ethics has long needed a highly practical
resource that is designed particularly for leaders and managers -- those
people charged to ensure ethical practices in their organizations.
Unfortunately, far too many resources about business ethics end up being
designed primarily for philosophers, academics and social critics. As a
result, leaders and managers struggle to really be able to make use of the
resources at all. Also, far too many resources about business ethics contain
sensationalistic stories about businesses "gone bad" or prolonged preaching
to businesses to "do the right thing". These resources often explore
simplistic ethical questions, such as "Should Jane steal from the company?"
The real world of leaders and managers is often much more complex than that.
This guide is a straightforward and highly practical tool designed to help
leaders and managers implement comprehensive ethics management systems in
their workplaces -- systems to deal with the complex, ethical issues that
can occur in the day-to-day realities of leading and managing an
organization.
http://www.mapnp.org/library/ethics/ethxgde.htm#anchor26548

Here's the link to an article that has a good example of how to approach
strategic planning.
http://www.computerworld.com/careertopics/careers/story/0,10801,99873,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/4zvdy

The Luck Factor

A ten-year scientific study into the nature of luck has revealed that, to a
large extent, people make their own good and bad fortune. The results also
show that it is possible to enhance the amount of luck that people encounter
in their lives.
http://www.luckfactor.co.uk/downloads/The%20Luck%20Factor.pdf

Top-Earning Dead Celebrities

"For some people, the paychecks don't stop even after they are six feet
under. Our fourth annual list of the top earners from the crypt features 22
celebrities whose estates continued to earn at least $5 million in the past
year. The trick? Making sure the songs and images live on, long after the
celebrity is gone" Warning: This site may bombard visitors with an audio
ad. It's best to the mute button.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/10/22/04deadcelebland.html

A gorilla in the midst: how our brains deceive us

Science is beginning to understand mayhem and mishap in everyday life, Roger
Highfield writes in London. Look around, and you could be forgiven for
believing that you can see a vivid and detailed picture of your
surroundings. Indeed, you may even think that your eyes never deceive you.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for your brain.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/07/1083911408990.html?oneclick=true

Success Takes Practice

People want to be successful. But when asked about their progress, they
usually say, "I really planned to use success techniques but then things got
so crazy that I never had the chance." or "I tried such techniques once and
wasn't successful so I gave up." So what's wrong here?
http://www.dellamenechella.com/success_takes_practice_.htm

Some research papers on coaching:

The GROW Coaching Model
http://tinyurl.com/6vs3f

Leadership Coaching as Design Conversation
http://tinyurl.com/4ucen

Research Report - Leadership Coaching as Design
http://tinyurl.com/6xsyg

Coaching Confidentiality Agreement
http://tinyurl.com/5u6mk

Coaching ROI Search Results
http://tinyurl.com/3uz6q

The Executive Coaching Handbook- 2nd Edition 0104
http://tinyurl.com/6j2rt

Toward A Profession Of Coaching:
Sixty Five Years Of Progress And Challenges For The Future
http://tinyurl.com/58ahb

Coach or Couch, Anybody?
The Zen of Creating High EQ Organizations
http://tinyurl.com/4esu7

Note again: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

[8] "SPONSORS' MESSAGES"

Announcing two public training programs in Kuala Lumpur:

1. G K Lim's "How To Sell Successfully To Corporate Customers"
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_successfully.html

Strategic and tactical selling skills training for your sales team

On March 23 and 24, 2005, at the JW Marriott KL

Powerful benefits sales people will get from this program:

You will ...

Learn how to make prospects come to you and ask to buy from you
Manage the sales process as a project, using engineering approaches
Know why building relationship with one person in a client company is not
enough
Take luck out of selling, ensure high probability of repeat sales success
Eliminate sabotage by affected parties in the client organization
Develop repeat customers and not one-time sales
Understand strategic, tactical, retail, direct, consultative and
relationship selling processes
Understand how people make major purchasing decisions
Know how to identify the decision makers in a complex sales situation
Identify, and capitalize on, powerful buying attitudes
Understand why people give objections
Learn how to turn an objection into a reason for buying
Learn how to trial-close

2. Dr Zaitun Sulaiman's "How To Coach And Counsel Subordinates For Higher
Productivity"
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_coach_counsel.html

For all managers and supervisors who need to be effective when dealing with
subordinates

On April 05 and 06, 2005, at the JW Marriott, KL

Powerful benefits ALL managers will get from this program:

You will ...

Understand basic concepts of coaching and counseling
Understand human behavior and their problems
Learn how past experience controls a person's adult behavior
Know how people react and cope to life problems
Understand the impact of communication pattern in counseling subordinates
Know how the emotional state of a person impacts his or her communication
patterns
Know how to be more honest and authentic in expressing emotional reactions
Build assertiveness
Know how to coach employees for higher performance
Know when to coach, when to counsel
Recognize symptoms of non-performance
Know how to counseling difficult employees
Discover why some people are more difficult than others
Discover why they are "difficult" in the first place
Understand basic counseling process
Understand professional ethics in counseling
Know how to manage self

Need more info? Please contact:
Kelly Teoh, Program Manager
Human Resources Services (1419991-U)
Tel: 03-238 11 060
Fax: 03-238 11 018; E-fax: 019-232 8312
Email: limk...@tm.net.my

Privacy Policy: We do not rent or sell your email address. Period.

Compilation © Copyright 2005 G K Lim, All Rights Reserved

^^ = end of communication = ^^