"Partners" Issue # 106

G K Lim

Jun 2, 2005, 1:31:35 AM6/2/05
to part...@googlegroups.com
          ==================
          __/= p a r t n e r s =\__
Comments, feedback, suggestions, questions, etc.:
partner...@googlegroups.com or  g...@gklim.com
Past issues:
or
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/partners

"IN THIS ISSUE"

[1]  Editor's Corner
[2]  Article For Your Personal Development: "The Leader Within"
[3]  Article For Your Business Development: "10 Ways to Get the Media to Love You"
[4]  Attitude Vitamins
[5]  Stress Buster
[6]  Feel Good Classic: "The Power of a Friend"
[7]  Chop Suey Rojak
[8]  Sponsors’ Messages

In the article, "The Leader Within," author John Giagkiozis says that each and every one of you has hidden deep inside a different person; a person that is robust insightful, originative, a person that you have forgotten that it ever existed. No matter what you believe that person lies within you, waiting for its awakening call.  Read the article for more info about this person within.

So, you’ve put yourself “out there” with a public relations campaign.  Your dealings with the media now become critical.  Those relationships with the media can make or break your public relations efforts.  To find out how to get the media to love you, read the article "10 Ways to Get the Media to Love You," by Margie Fisher.

Our "Feel Good Classic" is about "The Power of a Friend."  It's always heartening to read these Feel Good articles.  Brings back the sunshine, so to speak. J

Well, enjoy issue # 106!

Cheers!

G K Lim < www.gklim.com >
Editor / Publisher

[2]  "ARTICLE -- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT"

The Leader Within
By John Giagkiozis

Each and every one of you has hidden deep inside a different person a person that is robust insightful originative, a person that you have forgotten that it ever existed. No matter what you believe that person lies within you, waiting for its awakening call.

You might have heard this before in fact you might have heard it so many times that it seems like a hollow statement a statement that is said to cover up a failure a statement to comfort you just like fairytales do.

I’ll tell a secret, people shy away from this person because of their fear. They fear that if they admit that they really do have the power to change their lives and the lives of others they will have to do something about it. Also they don’t like to feel responsible about the mess they are in.

There is one good thing about the past, it is in the Past. Don’t make it your present and future.

The things you have to do in order to unleash the leader that is hidden inside you are simple.

Shift your focus, you should focus on what other people need not what you need and you will see that your needs will be met beyond any expectation.

There is a paradox in every corner of life and I think that this is her way of teaching us that happiness and perfection are not found in absolutes but in balance.

John Giagkiozis Publishes Self Improvement Tips, he is dedicated helping people like You! If you’re looking for the Home Business Opportunity that will make your Dreams Come True, information and helpful support from an honest friend in the business, come by and subscribe for FREE  at: http://www.success-factory.net

The Life all Deserve, An Opportunity and a Challenge

Feel free to reach me at: in...@success-factory.net

[3]  "ARTICLE -- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

10 Ways to Get the Media to Love You
By Margie Fisher

So you’ve put yourself “out there” with a public relations campaign.  Your dealings with the media now become critical.  Those relationships with the media can make or break your public relations efforts.  Here’s how to get the media to love you:

1.      When the media calls, stop what you are doing and give them your full attention. That’s right.  Maybe you’re having lunch.  Or in a meeting.  I advise my clients to say to others around them “I only allow interruptions when the media calls.”

2.      Treat the media like gold. Answer their questions in a forthcoming manner, in a respectful, pleasant tone.  Do not disparage others and be careful about making negative comments. Do not lie or provide exaggerated claims. Just like you, media people appreciate those who take the “high road”.

3.      Be realistic about coverage. A reporter can interview you for an hour and you might only have one line in the media.  Or none. Depending on how the story goes or space available or the editor’s whim, any of the above can happen.  The reporters owe you nothing for your time.  Take this in stride and be pleasant and understanding in future dealings with them.

4.      Lose control. You have control over advertising; you have minimal control over PR.  That’s the difference between paying for something and not paying for it. A media piece may not contain the “story” that you would like covered. It may focus on an angle you don’t like.  The reporter determines what angle to use, depending on his/her needs and information you provide. It also probably won’t be 100% accurate.  If it is 90% accurate, you’re doing great. Take this in stride and don’t complain to the reporter.

5.      Stop complaining. Sometimes, after a phone interview, you will be misquoted.  Unless it is truly a libelous or slanderous comment, you should take it in stride.  DO NOT decide to complain to the reporter, or you will certainly not be getting any press, at least not favorable, in that media again.

6.      Give several contact numbers, including day, night and weekend, to the media (including vacation/out-of-town contact info).  The press waits for no one.

7.      Be realistic about when the media will cover you.  Typically, daily newspapers, radio and TV have a one-day to three-month coverage window.  Magazines have a 2-3 month to one-year window.  The lead times vary depending on editorial calendars, seasonal coverage and breaking news. In addition, the media chooses when they want to run a story; you have little control over when they run it, unless it is tied in with a timely event, such as a holiday. While you would love to see yourself or your organization on the 6 o’clock news or the front-page of the business section, the media may have other stories slotted for those options, or they may need to fill a space in another segment.  Similarly, you might want your story to run immediately, but the media may hold it for months, if there is no urgency in running it.

8.      Pick up your own copies of your articles or tapes. Do not ask the reporter for a copy. They will be offended! Pick up a copy of the publication or call the media outlet to order a copy or tape.

9.      Spend time reading, listening to the radio and watching TV.  These activities are a part of most of our days.  And if you plan on “pitching” a particular media outlet, research it first (that means reading a publication, listening to the radio or watching that particular show, even if you generally wouldn’t). Once you do your research, you will have a better idea of the types of stories they cover, and also what has already been covered.  Remember, the more you understand what the media likes to cover, the more likely that you will create great media angles that the media loves.

10.    Thank them.  Media people, just like you, enjoy a pat on the back once in a while.  And no one can ever get too many thank-you's.  And to be remembered even more, put it in writing.

By putting effort into developing media relationships, you’ll increase your chances of current and future public relations success.

Copyright 2005 Margie Fisher All Rights Reserved

Margie Fisher is President of Margie Fisher Public Relations. The information in this article was excerpted from her Do-It-Yourself Public Relations Kit™.  For more information and more free articles, visit http://www.margiefisher.com.

[4]  "ATTITUDE VITAMINS"

The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - We must step up the stairs. -- Vance Havner

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness had genius, power and magic in it. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time. -- Marabel Morgan

Link like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. -- William Butler Yeats

One lie does not cost one truth, but the truth. -- Friedrich Hebbel

It s easier to fight for one s principles than to live up to them. -- Alfred Adler

It s not enough to tell people they should be happy to have a job here. At a time when people are asked to stretch themselves with fewer resources, you want to reward them for that stretch. -- Bruce Donatuti, director of HR, Citibank

If you never change your mind, why have one? -- Edward De Bono

Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. -- Thomas Jefferson

I'm not telling you it is going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.  Art Williams

The most painful thing to experience is not defeat but regret. -- Leo Bascaglia

All we can ever do in the way of good to people is to encourage them to do good to themselves. -- Randolph Bourne

It's been said, "All is an illusion." That's an insufficient distinction; more accurately, it's all a perception. -- Eldon Taylor

Strength of mind is exercise, not rest. -- Alexander Pope

Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning. -- Mohandas Karamchand (Mahatma) Gandhi

[5]  "STRESS BUSTER"

Do you know why Adam and Eve had an ideal marriage?  Well, he didn't have to hear about all the men she could have married, and she didn't have to hear about the way his mother cooked.

Q. What do you call a fish without an eye?

A. A fsh.

After spending 3-1/2 hours enduring the long lines, surly clerks and insane regulations at the Department of Motor Vehicles, a guy stopped at a toy store to pick up a gift for his son. He selected a baseball bat and took it to the cash register.

"Cash or charge?" the clerk asked.

"Cash," he snapped.

He then apologized for his rudeness, telling the clerk that he had spent all afternoon at the motor-vehicle bureau.

"Shall I gift wrap the bat?" the clerk asked sweetly. "Or are you going back there?"

[6]  "FEEL GOOD CLASSIC"

The Power of a Friend
One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on. As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.

His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around looking for his glasses, I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school before now. I would have never hung out with a private school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play football on Saturday with me and my friends. He said yes. We hung all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him. And my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, "Damn boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books. Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we were seniors, began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship. Kyle was valedictorian of his class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak.

Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school. He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than me and all the girls loved him! Boy, sometimes I was jealous.

Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. "Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable." I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

I saw his mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize its depth.

-Source Unknown

[7]  "CHOP SUEY ROJAK"

Note: If long URL’s break, please cut and paste.

Training activities you can use in your training programs.....
http://www.firststepstraining.com/resources/activities/archive/
Click at "Resources" for current and archived activities.

Besides the wonderful charitable work they do, Goodwill Industries also offers free online computer tutorials and classes.
http://www.gcflearnfree.org/

A 42-page pdf file on Emotional Intelligence:
http://www.dattnerconsulting.com/presentations/ei.pdf

Sales Questioning techniques
http://www.brefigroup.co.uk/acrobat/drewmorgen.pdf

Managing Innovation and Risk
Andrew Lee-Mortimer - World Class Design to Manufacture; 2: 5 1995; pp. 38-42
http://images.emeraldinsight.com/emerald/pdfs/200495.pdf

Note again: If long URL’s break, please cut and paste.

[8]  "SPONSORS’ MESSAGES"

In-house training programs facilitated by G K Lim

How To Sell Successfully To Corporate Customers
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_successfully.html

The Jack Wilner Key Account Management Program
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_jack.html

How To Lead Your Sales Team So That They Consistently Exceed Sales Quotas
(Leadership skills for the sales manager / supervisor)
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_lead.html

IT'S A DEAL! -- Negotiating For Marketing, Sales and Business Success
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_negotiation.html

WE DO CARE: Creating The Attitude of Service
(Customer service excellence skills)
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_care.html

DON'T KICK THE CAT! -- Executive Stress Management
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_stress.html

List of in-house clients
www.gklim.com/client

G K Lim bio
www.gklim.com/about/

Pic gallery
www.gklim.com/gallery
http://photos.yahoo.com/gktraining

Need more info? Please contact:
Kelly Teoh, Program Manager
Human Resources Services (1419991-U)
Tel: 03-238 11 060
Fax: 03-238 11 018; E-fax: 019-232 8312
Email: ke...@gklim.com

Privacy Policy: We do not rent or sell your email address. Period.

Compilation © Copyright 2005 G K Lim, All Rights Reserved

          ^^ = end of communication = ^^