Re: Partners Issue # 105

1 view

G K Lim

Apr 3, 2005, 10:46:39 AM4/3/05
to part...@googlegroups.com
==================
__/= p a r t n e r s =\__
==================
Dedicated to the personal and professional development of PMEE's --
professionals, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs -- everywhere.

Issue # 105
Seventh year in publication
Since July 1, 1998
Current number of subscribers: 2,102

Comments, feedback, suggestions, questions, etc.:
partner...@googlegroups.com or g...@gklim.com
Past issues:
or
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/partners

"IN THIS ISSUE"

[1] Editor's Corner
[2] Article For Your Personal Development: "Goal Setting - A Valuable
Lesson"
[3] Article For Your Business Development: "Why Salespeople Fail"
[4] Attitude Vitamins
[5] Stress Buster
[6] Feel Good Classic: "Alexander Fleming"
[7] Chop Suey Rojak
[8] Sponsors' Messages

[1] "EDITOR'S CORNER"

It's great to be back with another issue of "Partners".

As we have said in the previous issue, we now publish two editions of
"Partners" -- one out of the original yahoo.groups platform, and the second
out of the new google.groups platform. Both contain identical content. We
are testing out the google.groups platform. If, for some reason, you
receive two copies of "Partners," you may unsubscribe from one.

What's the most important point to know about goals? Take a look at what
goals you have set for yourself. Are you rigidly attached to a particular
outcome? "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to
continue that counts." -- Winston Churchill. Find out more in our Personal
Development article, "Goal Setting - A Valuable Lesson," by Vicki Miller

Frank Salisbury says that the reasons why salespeople fail have to do with a
lack of confidence; abdication of personal responsibility; and denial of the
need to practice. Read about it in our Business Development article, "Why
Salespeople Fail"

We have other goodies in this issue.

Well, enjoy issue # 105!

Cheers!

G K Lim < www.gklim.com >
Editor / Publisher

[2] "ARTICLE -- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT"

Goal Setting - A Valuable Lesson
By Vicki Miller

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

-Michael Jordan

Goal Setting - A Valuable Lesson

This week I was reminded of a valuable lesson. I had been working on a
personal goal for quite some time and, although I was very close to reaching
my goal, I didn't make it. The pain of not achieving my goal was much more
than I expected. Instead of seeing all that I had accomplished, I could
only focus on what I didn't do. After giving myself some time to lament the
outcome, I stepped back to take an objective look and find the perfection in
the event. Here's the insight I gained:

1. Be detached from the outcome - I was so focused on the goal that I was
trying to force an outcome rather than being open to other possibilities.

2. Enjoy the journey - "success is a journey not a destination" (Deepak
Chopra) - By being focused on the outcome, I forgot to enjoy the process
and all the knowledge and experience I gained along the way.

3. Be grateful - When I did look back, it was apparent that I had a great
deal for which to be grateful, including lots of support and encouragement.

4. Forgiveness - I needed to forgive myself, accept responsibility and let
go of the need to place blame.

5. Live in the present moment - I cannot change the past, so there is no
reason for me to rehash what could have been. Looking at my life I can see
that the present moment is wonderful, and that's where I want to be.

6. Finding perfection in apparent failure - Now I can clearly see how
perfect the outcome was. To be reminded of all of these teachings and gain
new insight is a far better achievement than the one I thought I had to
have.

What can you learn from my experience? Take a look at what goals you have
set for yourself. Are you rigidly attached to a particular outcome? What
if you remain open to all possibilities by keeping your desire but letting
go of the need for it to happen in only one way? Being open to all ways
that your desire could be fulfilled greatly expands the potential of what
you will receive. Here's some actions you can take:

1. Look at your current goals and ask "What can I do to enjoy the process
and be detached from the outcome?"

2. Read The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra.

3. Find the perfection (bigger picture) in any setbacks.

Most of all enjoy the journey!

Copyright March 2005

As a Life Transition Coach I work with clients to identify what's most
important to them and prioritize around these values. I help my clients
identify and remove obstacles in the way and bring clarity and focus to
their dreams. What is your dream? Are you undergoing a major transition
and not clear where to turn? Call (972-306-4489) or email me,
(coach.v...@verizon.net), to set up a complimentary, no obligation 30
minute coaching session. Download my FREE e-Book, 12 Fun Ways to Change
Your Life, or sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter at
http://www.thrivingthroughchange.com

[3] "ARTICLE -- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

Why Salespeople Fail

By Frank Salisbury

Since 1990 I have focused on the three primary barriers which affect the
performance of salespeople:-

1. Low confidence and self image

2. A low sense of personal responsibility for their performance, and

3. A low acceptance level of the need to practise selling skills

In all top performers, and in sales team this might represent only between
15-20% of the population, these barriers have been overcome, or at the very
least compensated for.

Where many people make the mistake is in assuming that they can solve their
overall sales force performance needs by employing people with the opposite
of these characteristics.

These people only represent some 15-20% of the population anyway and the
stark fact is that merely because people are successful elsewhere, this does
not guarantee that they will be successful with you. The reason for this is
that your management style may not be conducive to a) creating and b)
retaining high performers.

80-85% of salespeople appear unable to overcome these barriers, but simply
identifying what those barriers are is only part of the solution. In
addition, if you do manage to employ the other 15-20%, without addressing
the main influencing factors on performance you can also adversely affect
top performers.

Most salespeople, whilst enjoying the perceived freedom and benefits of
selling exhibit internal conflicts which can dramatically affect their self
image, thus reducing their confidence. This in turn is transmitted to
customers, bringing about a self-fulfilling prophecy of low performance. The
beliefs which produce this are:-

a) no-one chooses selling as a first career choice. Most people drift into
sales either because they can't think of anything else to do or due to low
educational achievement, circumstances or lack of opportunity, and thus
other career choices become unobtainable. In professions such as sports,
music, dancing, and acting, the great mass of people in them make early
conscious decisions about wanting to be in that profession. They understand
what they must do in order to stand any chance of becoming successful.

b) This apparent lack of understanding of the mechanics of professionalism
leads people to focus on such professions as law, medicine, and finance as
desirable yet unattainable professional status. The fallback position for
all salespeople is that becoming a sales manager does not require any high
academic achievement, and promotion to management is almost always based on
sales achievement. In this way many salespeople are able to produce
short-term performance levels in order to retire into management. The goal
is to become a manager, which is seen to be a professional position. For
many salespeople promotion is a reward and most fail in their first
management role.

c) Salespeople and customers have the same feelings about selling, in that
the process is focussed on benefits to the person selling, not the person
being sold to, and that part of sales technique is to persuade people to buy
something they really do not need. Although many sales training theorists
talk about creating an environment in which customers are encouraged to buy
rather than having to be sold to, the way in which salespeople are trained
and managed rarely allows this to happen. Once again, the top 15-20% do
create this environment, mostly unconsciously, but instead of focusing on
how they do this, too many organisations simply believe that finding and
employing these top performers will solve all of their problems. We can all
too easily recount stories of instances where service provided by an
organisation falls far sort of the customer mission statements contained in
their advertising.

True professionalism comes from a process of accepting the rules within
which the professional can perform.

In order to release talent and ability that people have to be able to learn
and perform the basics, mostly through repetition and skill drilling.
There's
a saying that amateurs practise until they get it right, however
professionals practise until they never get it wrong.

Most professionals have tools that they use and they also understand that
the way in which those tools are used requires compliance to basic rules.
For example, a javelin thrower knows that they cannot cross the line when
running up to throw the javelin. They know that the javelin has to be thrown
point first. An actor knows that they have to use a stage prop in a certain
way at a certain time, and they know that they have to stick to the script.
A dancer uses a certain type of footwear specific to a particular dance
style. They accept that they have to perform a number of steps in a certain
sequence. A guitarist knows that they have to strike the strings of a guitar
in a particular fashion and hold the strings on the fret board in a certain
way in order to comply with the music - which they follow.

These rules, which ensure consistency, and through consistency
professionalism, are understood and accepted by professionals. They are
neither understood nor accepted by salespeople or sales managers primarily
because consistency brings with the responsibility of inflexibility.

You might have heard McEnroe complain about the ball being in or out, but
not of the necessity to serve over the net. Nigel Kennedy may have
complained about always playing 'dead guys stuff' but he doesn't change the
music or miss pieces out. When Michael Flatley disagreed with the rigid
nature of Riverdance he had to set up his own company. There may be modern
versions of Shakespeare productions, but they keep the original words.

In following the rules, and adhering to the way basic training has moved
them to competence, and the coach towards excellence, professionals have no
issue with compliance, repetition, and constant practice of the same skills.
They understand that it is through this process that they can release their
talent and personality.

Too many salespeople, and many sales managers believe that selling is about
personality and therefore seek to employ or become the perfect salesperson
without understanding how talent and personality is released.

Once performers have experienced the benefits of practice and structure and
of eventually the release of talent and personality it becomes a natural
follow on to reach for constant improvement. Were it that easy. There is a
missing element.

The way in which the salesperson feels about the job they do has a major
impact on their effectiveness, but that's not the whole story. Whenever I
ask senior managers what the reason is for one team performing well and one
not so well, the answer is inevitably the difference is the manager. My own
experience, and research over the last ten years bears this out.

All sales managers are drawn from the population of salespeople and
therefore bring with them the same baggage they acquired in their sales
role. Although many want to treat their old peer group in a different way
few have been shown any other example other than the status quo of - 'there
are those that lead and those that follow'. Indeed most sales managers take
up their new positions without any instruction, formal or informal. They
then adopt the behaviours their past managers have taught them, perpetuating
the status quo. There's an analogy with parenthood. Where did we all learn
to be parents? From our own parents.
There is no other profession where you are allowed to practice on a live
audience other than as a salesperson or a sales manager. Although the title
manager provides some internal satisfaction regarding professionalism, the
practise of sales management is rarely professional.

Insofar as personal responsibility is concerned all sales managers believe
that they are responsible for the success of their teams. Whilst they are
certainly accountable no-one can be responsible for the performance of
another person. It's a difficult and complicated lesson to learn but it
represents the foundation stone of professional performance coaching.The
major influence on sales success is provided by the behaviour of sales
managers, not salespeople. In common with other professional groups,
changing the manager changes group performance for better or worse. Yet in
most cases of poor sales performance the first casualty is usually the
salesperson.

Messages about self-worth, preferred career paths, and the nature of
authority start early. We quickly learn that we generally have to do as we
are told, that people in authority have the upper hand, and that the term
professional is applied to white collar work excluding sales.
In addition, the lessons about being personally responsible for decisions
and success begin too late to have any effect.

By the time most people begin their first job the way in which they relate
to authority has become embedded. Unlearning these patterns of behaviour
requires a significant effort both on the part of the employee and
especially the manager. Remember managers have themselves been subject to
the same history. By the time they arrive in a management role they have
convinced themselves that their position of authority now bestows upon them
the responsibility to change others. Whereas as Arguris rightly said in
1962 - ."No-one can develop anyone apart from himself. The door to
development is unlocked from the inside."

Yet even understanding the sales process will not result in sales success.
The key to unlocking potential is the coach.

Professionals understand and welcome the involvement of the coach because
they recognise that they will not achieve their potential within the
intervention of a coach.

Whenever top performers are asked to comment on their success inevitably
they refer to the coach.

The answer to sales success and the releasing of potential of both
salespeople and sales managers does not lie in easy solutions. Other
professionals know that the answer lies within, and in hard work. Most top
salespeople will always cite 'hard work' as one of the primary reasons for
their success. Hard work is however interpreted by sales managers as 'see
more people', and 'selling is a numbers game'. It's not. Most top
salespeople actually see less customers and spend less time at work that
their unsuccessful and average performing colleagues. If 'seeing more
people'
was the answer then how is that the problem of low performance amongst the
majority of salespeople has yet to be solved?

Having worked with a number of professionals in other disciplines it has
become clear that the solution to performance improvement lies within a
professional approach to skills improvement through the intervention of a
professional coach.

The difference between a successful salesperson and an unsuccessful
salesperson lies in the way in which the salesperson communicates with and
behaves towards the customer. The difference between a successful sales
manager and an unsuccessful sales manager lies in the way in which the
manager communicates with and behaves towards the salesperson.

The focus and foundation stone of sales improvement is the establishment,
understanding, and implementation of personal responsibilities.

The simplicity of this philosophy belies the hard work required by everyone
involved to implement it, and the potential of all those involved in sales
to improve themselves.

It begins with setting the agenda and reviewing the journey towards
excellence thus far.

The key is goal-setting. Are the aims and objectives of the performer in
line with those of the coach and the organisation?

The third stage is about understanding whose actions have brought about the
current results - this is where the focus moves strongly into personal
responsibility. The fourth stage is about taking that responsibility for
making things happen, for making improvements, and for contracting with the
coach to work on an improvement plan.

The final stage is about analysing the results and making new plans for the
next stage of improvement.

It is a process that works in the fields of sports, music, acting, and
dance. It works in sales. Selling is not an academic process, it is a
physical skill, and as such we can learn from these other professions about
professionalism, personal responsibility and achievement.

Frank Salisbury is a highly experience motivational speaker, and inspiring
business coach, particularly to the sales profession. Frank is recognised as
a leading authority in the field of sales - including sales process design,
sales performance, and sales coaching.

He strongly believes that whether we work in the public or private sector;
whether our organisation is commercial or non-commercial; that we are all in
sales. His favourite quote, which has become his maxim, is from Robert Louis
Stevenson - 'Everything in live is selling'. He has spoken at numerous
conferences and seminars where his style has received popular acclaim for a
speaker with a passion for life, and achievement.

[4] "ATTITUDE VITAMINS"

Before us lie two paths -- honesty and dishonesty. The shortsighted embark
on the dishonest path; the wise on the honest. For the wise know the truth;
in helping others we help ourselves; and in hurting others we hurt
ourselves. Character overshadows money, and trust rises above fame. Honesty
is still the best policy. -- Napoleon Hill

Understand this law and you will then know, beyond room for the slightest
doubt, that you are constantly punishing yourself for every wrong you commit
and rewarding yourself for every act of constructive conduct in which you
indulge. -- Napoleon Hill

Ability will never catch up with the demand for it. -- Malcolm Forbes

Empowerment isn't magic. It consists of a few simple steps and a lot of
persistence. -- Ken Blanchard

Have no fear of perfection -- you'll never reach it. -- Salvador Dali

We need someone to believe in us -- if we do well, we want our work
commended, our faith corroborated. The individual who thinks well of you,
who keeps his mind on your good qualities, and does not look for your flaws,
is your friend. Who is my brother? I'll tell you: he is the one who
recognizes the good in me. -- Elbert Hubbard

Put love first. Entertain thoughts that give life, and when a thought or
resentment, or hurt, or fear comes your way, have another thought that is
more powerful -- a thought that is love. -- Mary Manin Morrissey

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you
from age. -- Jeanne Moreau

The philosophers have only interpreted the world in different ways; the
point is to change it. -- Karl Marx

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the
next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is
nothing. After all, if we do the wrong thing, at least we can learn. --
Theodore Roosevelt

A man is as old as he feels himself to be. -- English Proverb

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? -- Satchell Paige

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your BELIEF
will help create the fact. -- Henry James

You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable
the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of
hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish
yourself if you forget the errand. -- Woodrow Wilson

Tiny decisions are the molders of destiny. -- Michael Norwood

[5] "STRESS BUSTER"

Things I've learned from my Children (honest & no kidding):

1.) A king-size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq.ft. house 4
inches deep.

2.) If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with Roller
blades, they can ignite.

3.) A 3-year old's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.

4.) If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong
enough to rotate a 42-pound boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman
cape. It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint
on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.

5.) You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using
a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up few times before you
get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.

6.) The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn't stop a baseball hit by a
ceiling fan.

7.) When you hear the toilet flush and the words "uh oh", it's already too
late.

8.) Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke and lots of it.

9.) A 6-year old can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year
old man says they can only do it in the movies.

10.) Certain Legos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old.

11.) Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.

12.) Super glue is forever.

13.) No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool, you still can't
walk on water.

14.) Pool filters do not like Jell-O.

15.) VCR's do not eject PB&J sandwiches even though TV commercials show they
do.

16.) Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

17.) Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when driving.

18.) You probably do not want to know what that odor is.

19.) Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do not like
ovens.

20.) The fire department in Austin has a 5-minute response time.

21.) The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.

22.) It will, however, make cats dizzy.

23.) Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.

25.) 60% of men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake fluid.

An American and his wife were driving in Canada and got lost. Finally they
come into some city. They saw a gentleman on the sidewalk, so they pulled up
to the curb, and the lady let down her window and asked: "Excuse me, sir.
Where are we?"

The gentleman on the street replied, "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan."

The lady rolled up the window, turned to her husband and said, "We really
are lost. They don't even speak English here!"

"Why is turtle wax so expensive?"

"Because turtles have such tiny ears!"

[6] "FEEL GOOD CLASSIC"

Alexander Fleming

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day,
while trying to eke out a living for his family, he heard a cry for
help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the
bog. There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy,
screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the
lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse
surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and
introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.
"I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life."
"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer
replied, waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son
came to the door of the family hovel.

"Is that your son?" the nobleman asked. "Yes," the farmer replied
proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me take him and give him a good education.
If the lad is anything like his father, he'll grow to a man you can
be proud of."

And that he did. In time, Farmer Fleming's son graduated from St.
Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become
known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the
discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia.
What saved him? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name?
Sir Winston Churchill.

Someone once said what goes around comes around.

[7] "CHOP SUEY ROJAK"

Note: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

Get Your Questions Straight
To find out whether a candidate is up to the job,
plan your investigation in advance.
http://trax.inc.com/k/w/mailman/inc_connection/20050322/questions

Controlling the Interview
This slide-show offers a few quick tips for taking
control of the interview process.
http://trax.inc.com/k/w/mailman/inc_connection/20050322/slideshow

How Would You Design Bill Gates' Bathroom?
Job interviews, Microsoft style.
http://trax.inc.com/k/w/mailman/inc_connection/20050322/microsoft

The Power of Positive thinking. (By Remez Sasson)
The links on the left, of the page are also worth reading.(on Inner Powers,
Power of Concentration, Will Power and Self Discipline, Serenity of Mind,
Consciousness, Power of Imagination, Creative Visualization, Power of
Positive Thinking, Power of Affirmations, and Success Consciousness )
http://www.successconsciousness.com/index_000009.htm

All about Emotional Intelligence:

Succeeding in Emotional Intelligence - 42 pages
http://www.dattnerconsulting.com/presentations/ei.pdf

Summary Findings from a Study on Leadership, Emotional Intelligence, and
Personality Type
http://tinyurl.com/59wny
http://www.ideashape.com/leadership-research.htm

Emotional Intelligence: Old Wine with a New Label
http://tinyurl.com/568of

Emotional WHAT?
http://www.eqtoday.com/02/emotional.php

Constructive Emotions: Why Fear and Anger are Your Friends
http://tinyurl.com/5vdqr

EQ at the Heart of Performance
http://www.renewalgroup.com/new/EQ_Heart.pdf

EQ at the Heart of Performance
http://www.renewalgroup.com/new/EQ_Heart-Hospital.pdf

Using EQ as a Retention Strategy
http://www.renewalgroup.com/new/Retention.pdf

Note again: If long URL's break, please cut and paste.

[8] "SPONSORS' MESSAGES"

Announcing two public training programs in Kuala Lumpur:

1. G K Lim's "How To Sell Successfully To Corporate Customers"
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_successfully.html

Strategic and tactical selling skills training for your sales team

G K Lim's best selling program, brought back by popular demand

On the following dates at the JW Marriott KL

07 and 08 June, 2005
27 and 28 July, 2005
20 and 21 September, 2005
23 and 24 November, 2005

Powerful benefits sales people will get from this program:

You will ...

Learn how to make prospects come to you and ask to buy from you
Manage the sales process as a project, using engineering approaches
Know why building relationship with one person in a client company is not
enough
Take luck out of selling, ensure high probability of repeat sales success
Eliminate sabotage by affected parties in the client organization
Develop repeat customers and not one-time sales
Understand strategic, tactical, retail, direct, consultative and
relationship selling processes
Understand how people make major purchasing decisions
Know how to identify the decision makers in a complex sales situation
Identify, and capitalize on, powerful buying attitudes
Understand why people give objections
Learn how to turn an objection into a reason for buying
Learn how to trial-close

2. Dr Zaitun Sulaiman's "How To Coach And Counsel Subordinates For Higher
Productivity"
http://www.gklim.com/programs/i_coach_counsel.html

For all managers and supervisors who need to be effective when dealing with
subordinates

On July 12 and 13, 2005, at the JW Marriott, KL

Powerful benefits ALL managers will get from this program:

You will ...

Understand basic concepts of coaching and counseling
Understand human behavior and their problems
Learn how past experience controls a person's adult behavior
Know how people react and cope to life problems
Understand the impact of communication pattern in counseling subordinates
Know how the emotional state of a person impacts his or her communication
patterns
Know how to be more honest and authentic in expressing emotional reactions
Build assertiveness
Know how to coach employees for higher performance
Know when to coach, when to counsel
Recognize symptoms of non-performance
Know how to counseling difficult employees
Discover why some people are more difficult than others
Discover why they are "difficult" in the first place
Understand basic counseling process
Understand professional ethics in counseling
Know how to manage self

Need more info? Please contact:
Kelly Teoh, Program Manager
Human Resources Services (1419991-U)
Tel: 03-238 11 060
Fax: 03-238 11 018; E-fax: 019-232 8312
Email: Ke...@gklim.com

Privacy Policy: We do not rent or sell your email address. Period.

Compilation © Copyright 2005 G K Lim, All Rights Reserved

^^ = end of communication = ^^