Motorola/Symbol Barcode Scanner Integration

Jared

Mar 24, 2021, 11:16:45 AM3/24/21
to PartKeepr Users
Hello, I'm curious if anyone has played around with trying to integrate a motorola/symbol/zebra barcode scanner with PartKeepr. I got lucky and someone made an app for windows mobile 6 which is what my MC75A scanner runs. I have installed the app and have had no success. The scanner says "Not Found" for every code I scan. I do not think it is reaching the PartKeepr server. I am unsure exactly what is going wrong here since there is limited debugging I can do. I am going to try and poke around the source for this application in Visual Studio 2008 and see what I can find. If anyone has had luck with such a thing I would be curious to hear about it. The source for the WM6 application is here: https://github.com/sh-hilden/PartKeeprScannrWM

Side note: I am also working on trying to use the MC75A as a remote scanner hooked up to my laptop. I have installed Datawedge and the appropriate add ons to make this work. If the WM application ends up not working I am thinking this is the best route. I will continue to test this.

Daniel Calcoen

Mar 24, 2021, 1:56:36 PM3/24/21
to PartKeepr Users
Dear Jared
In principle the barcode reader implementation is via its functionality as keyboard emulator.
and here
As I understand you are trying to inject code in the an URL to contact the server. If you go this way you need to "communicate" with PartKeepr via its API (interface).
May be this Python library
which connects to PartKeepr via its API could give you some inspiration or ideas.

Regards
Daniel

Jared

Mar 24, 2021, 2:54:28 PM3/24/21
to PartKeepr Users
Thank you for the info. The main issue here is reverse engineering the Windows Mobile application that someone has already made. I'm not really sure how to debug this software. I'd like to see if it is even connecting to the PartKeepr server then I can rule out some things. There isn't really any documentation on this software, the readme just says what the program is and what libraries were used. Looking to see if anyone else has experimented with this exact piece of software with Windows Mobile 6

Blaine Halee

May 3, 2021, 1:14:16 PM5/3/21
to PartKeepr Users
I am also trying to get this application working.  I have translated the remaining German like "Senden" instead of Send, and I was able to get it connected to my Partkeepr server through the options in the app.  However, it searches by Internal ID, not by Internal Part Number.  I was hoping to use the existing barcodes on the parts, and had entered them all as Internal Part Number.  I do not really want to go generate hundreds of new barcodes with the Internal ID on them instead.