Creating a Partkeepr User Manual

khuff...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 8:27:17 PM10/12/17
to PartKeepr Users
I am interested in creating a detailed user manual for Partkeepr and would like to publish it in a location that is accessible for all potential Partkeepr users.  Any suggestions on where to publish the document?  My expectation is to divide the manual in to two sections:  screen shots with detailed call-outs of the various components of each page; and a topical area that details how to perform various functions (creating parts, BOM uploads, installation, etc).  I would also be interested in coordinating with anyone else who may have some time to contribute.  Felicitus, what are your thoughts?  I envision this being a 3 to 6 month effort, depending on the number of contributors, with ongoing support to update thereafter.

Nathan Hartman

Oct 25, 2017, 11:40:20 PM10/25/17
to PartKeepr Users
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 8:27:17 PM UTC-4, khuff...@gmail.com wrote:
I am interested in creating a detailed user manual for Partkeepr and would like to publish it in a location that is accessible for all potential Partkeepr users.  Any suggestions on where to publish the document?  My expectation is to divide the manual in to two sections:  screen shots with detailed call-outs of the various components of each page; and a topical area that details how to perform various functions (creating parts, BOM uploads, installation, etc).  I would also be interested in coordinating with anyone else who may have some time to contribute.  Felicitus, what are your thoughts?  I envision this being a 3 to 6 month effort, depending on the number of contributors, with ongoing support to update thereafter.

Hi,

A manual would be greatly appreciated!

I recommend writing the manual directly in the PartKeepr Wiki. It would benefit from the possibility of others (such as myself) contributing to it as well. You will need to request a login from Felicitus to edit the Wiki, but it makes sense as a location accessible to all PartKeepr users.

Speaking of which, it seems the PartKeepr.org website (and Wiki) are down right now. I'm getting a 503 error. Hopefully this is just a glitch.

khuff...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2017, 5:41:32 AM10/26/17
to PartKeepr Users
It is progressing, slowly.  I have some content created in Librewriter / MS Word; but am not quite sure how to transfer the content to a wiki page (limited HTML experience, I'm an embedded hardware / software guy).  I did create a wikidots page with the expectation that the content may be migrated to a Partkeepr wiki page in the future.   Anyway, here's a sample of some of the manual content.

prasha...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 2:20:57 PM5/7/20
to PartKeepr Users
Hi

please help us to use partkeepr if you have any user manual please share with us in google we are not getting any information.

khuff...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 2:31:08 PM5/7/20
to PartKeepr Users
Sent directly to your email.   Don't know how to post the manual directly to the group.

Let me know if you don't get.
Regards,
Kevin

khuff...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2020, 6:10:40 AM7/22/20
to PartKeepr Users
FYI  For any that may be interested, I've written a 37 page user manual that I'm freely distributing to any who wish.  If someone is so inclined, publishing the document to a public forum would be best.  The document has very little in terms of initial setup.  It is solely focused on end user operation (importing BOMS, project management, metaparts, etc),  Contact me directly and I'll email a copy to any who are interested (native Word format but also displays well in Libreoffice).

Vinicius Silva

Nov 21, 2020, 9:45:55 AM11/21/20
to khuff...@gmail.com, PartKeepr Users
why not make it available as a GitHub project?

Com os melhores cumprimentos,
Vinicius Silva

Kevin Huffman

Daniel Calcoen

Jan 31, 2021, 3:50:10 PM1/31/21
to PartKeepr Users
Dear Kevin
I'm interested in your User Manual.

I offer my collaborate to write some pages in the wiki, I'm not the best wiki writer... but I guess is better than having no information as it is the case.

Regards
Daniel Calcoen

Kevin Huffman

Jan 31, 2021, 4:34:54 PM1/31/21
to PartKeepr Users
Hi Daniel,

Sent directly to your email.  Let me know if you don't receive shortly

Best regards
Kevin

Daniel Calcoen

Feb 1, 2021, 4:59:36 PM2/1/21
to PartKeepr Users
PartKeepr Unofficial Wiki
the user manual is there
once finished I'll work on copying to the official wiki if allowed by the owners
Regards
Daniel

Nathan Hartman

Feb 1, 2021, 7:49:27 PM2/1/21
to Daniel Calcoen, PartKeepr Users
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:59 PM Daniel Calcoen <daniel....@gmail.com> wrote:
PartKeepr Unofficial Wiki
the user manual is there
once finished I'll work on copying to the official wiki if allowed by the owners
Regards
Daniel

If you make a GitHub project for the manual, people will be able to help improve it and keep it up to date over time by means of pull requests.

Kevin Huffman

Feb 2, 2021, 5:41:31 AM2/2/21
to PartKeepr Users
Thanks Nathan.  There is an open thread on documentation in the Github PartKeepr issue tracker.  I've posted a request for guidance  on this thread from the project team.  https://github.com/partkeepr/PartKeepr/issues/1031

Daniel Calcoen

Feb 3, 2021, 4:29:22 PM2/3/21
to PartKeepr Users
It is an Atlassian Confluence Space, I can export it as html or xml to put in a repository, which I guess is not very readeable for collaborators and worst I can't import it back... I need to paste the code in the page. It is very collaborative for all the registered user (inside our institution).
For the moment I enabled anonymous comments at the bottom of the pages.
I'll see how difficult is to register external people to give them access, anyhow can't be more than a couple of persons.
For me and my colleagues is very handy and we'll continue with these pages.
I offer to copy what we have to any wiki the PartKeepr community decide to use.
I can't do more than that, I'm sorry.
Regards
Daniel