Hp Laserjet 1200 Driver Windows 10

Janae Nowinski

Dec 23, 2023, 8:02:49 AM12/23/23
to PartKeepr Users

I spent close to 2 hours the other day trying to get an old laserjet 1200 working on a Dell computer running Windows 10. The printer had been working on that system until the system ran into some sort of malfunction and we had to re-install the OS. I get an error saying that the HP1200 cannot work with USB 3.0, but the port it is plugged into is a USB 2.0 port. I have tried installing and removing every driver I can find from HP. At this point, Windows knows the printer is there, but when you right-click on it, the "printer properties" is not listed. I know this is an old printer, but hardware wise it is fine and it was previously working on this computer. I have searched all kinds of HP forums and tried to follow the solutions they offer, but still no luck so far.

that was on the old hard drive. I installed the full version of windows 10. Now i cant get my laserjet 1200 to work. it used to work fine with the updated vesion of before the crash. I cant find the drivers for the 1200. Need help please. the printer is connected via USB.

Hp Laserjet 1200 Driver Windows 10

Download File https://tracas-riohe.blogspot.com/?xh=2wTsbW

Recently updated my MacBook Pro (13 inch, M1, 2020) to Monterey MacOS Version 12.1. Neither of my HP printers would work after that. Got Filter Failed. Reset the Printers and then reloaded them both. Now the HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP M276 works but my older HP Laserjet 1200 series does not. Still has filter failed. HP says it no longer supports the LaserJet 1200 series. No driver updates. Did Apple drop support for that printer? It is at least 16 years old, but a favorite.

HP wants me to use HP Smart, not HP Easy. It does not find my LaserJet 1200 Series printer. It does find the more new HP printer I have on the network. HP Smart cannot find the older LaserJet 1200. So I am really badly stuck here. Does this mean my LaserJet 1200 is dead even though it works, or should I wait and HP will fix this and send the drivers to Apple?

Everything Georges said was true. I did more research on the topic and found other people complaining of the same issue. To make things worse, the HP Laserjet 1200 printer driver website offers 6 different drivers, including "Driver-Universal Print Driver" (with either PCL6 or Postscript drivers), "Driver-Universal Print Driver" (with 2 more programs), "Driver-USB", and "Software-Universal Print Driver" - with absolutely no indication of which you're supposed to install.

As I mentioned, there are 6 different drivers on the HP Laserjet 1200 driver website. The way I got it to work was to install the "HP Laserjet USB (DOT4) communication driver" first, then install another driver over top of that. From what I understand, the "HP Laserjet USB (DOT4) communication driver" creates a virtual printer port, then that piggybacks onto the actual print driver. If you don't install the "HP Laserjet USB (DOT4) communication driver" first, the printer driver simply doesn't work.

Canon just calls the printer "Canon MP600 Printer". Since the names are not exactly the same windows does not think that the drivers are for the correct printer. Just edit the inf file to "correct" the name and it installs without a problem.

The printer goes by the name 'HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 5' both in Windows 7 and on HP's driver support website. However, the driver that HP offers is for 'HP LaserJet 1200 Series 5e'. According to HP documentation, 5 and 5e have the same functionality.

I think you should be able to extract the file that you've downloaded (using 7-zip or winzip) then point windows 7 at the folder that contains the extracted files when you're doing the install additional drivers wizard.

Mannually try to install print drivers (for any printer, locally) then where it says drivers, click update windows drivers, close/ cancel printer install, then try and connect to your network printer on the 64 bit OS from the 32 and it should then work

I found the x64 version of the driver (for HP) and replaced the windows-driver with the one I installed from HP (there's a place to change the driver for an already-installed printer on windows7). I then was able to add the x86 version of the driver as they had the same names. The driver I used was a 'universal PCL 5' diver rather than the one specific to my printer (HP CP 1510), and it seems to work fine.

After switching to a mac, I'm blown away as how complex things like installing drivers on windows is simplified. Adding a printer takes like 2 clicks, and it figures out where I am (laptop) and automatically prints on the appropriate printer. It just works.

Free phone support for life
The LaserJet 1200's one-year parts and labor warranty is shorter than we'd like. You can extend it by an additional year for $89. HP's phone support lasts beyond the warranty term and costs nothing, but the call itself is on your dime. Support hours are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. MT Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. The HP Web site offers the usual support options, including current drivers, FAQs, manuals, and troubleshooting tips.

Postscript level 2 out of the box, parallel and USB connection, 1200n with ethernet connection, scan extension available. For basic printing functionality use the Postscript PPD. For advanced functionality such as printer status and maintenance features, use the HPLIP driver (which includes HPIJS). This printer is a good choice for a cheap laser printer, especially when you print a lot of text documents, as letters, documentation, manuals, ... for these documents it is really fast, as advertized by HP. But when using it on complicated graphics (web pages rendered by Konqueror, photo "convert"ed to PostScript with ImageMagick) in PostScript mode, it is very slow and can easily run out of memory. If you use it in PCL mode, it is fast in both text and graphics printing. Therefore we recommend to use this printer with a Ghostscript driver like "pxlmono" or HPLIP. Here is a somewhat longer review from Robert (racsw at frontiernet dot net): My testing was done on a PIII / 600Mhz machine with 256K of RAM installed running Mandrake Linux 8.1. While I intended to use this printer as a USB connected device, I was never successful at getting it to work properly, and so switched over to a parallel port connection. In fairness, I don't believe this is the fault of the printer itself. I see no reason why it shouldn't work on USB (ed: Mandrake 8.2 configures this printer. automatically). IMO, the 1200/1200se is an excellent high-volume document printer, and those folks like myself that need to print the normal volumes of documents, How-To's, Installation procedures, etc, that a typical Linux user requires will find this printer an excellent choice. The printer itself comes with 8Mb of memory onboard, with a 100 pin DIMM slot capable of another 64Mb, for a total of 72Mb. In the testing I performed with and without this additional memory installed, I could find no difference in speed either way. But for those who feel they want this memory anyhow, I would advise you purchase the Kingston module from for $39.00. HP wants a whopping $470.00 (more expensive than the printer itself, 12x the price of the Kingston memory) for the same module. For those wanting to print graphics on this machine, I would suggest an Inkjet printer instead like a DeskJet or the popular and proven Epson Stylus C80. If attempting to print a WYSIWYG rendition of a web page, I would make two suggestions. First, don't use Konqueror. Konqueror has two disadvantages. For one, there is no selection for GreyScale, which, when used, cuts the printing time down from 10 - 15 seconds to about 2 - 3. Secondly, Konqueror also does some strange things with the image, which, when printed, will render your copy hard to read with respect to font sizes and such. Here's what OpenPrinting founder Grant Taylor says: "Konq appears to print using a Qt canvas widget feature whereby the canvas widget unifies the fonts - you'll see it flicker into small font for a moment - and generates equivalent ps code. Oddly, it unifies the fonts to some weird 6-point font that's mostly useless on paper; this is what you saw. One can only hope they'll fix this in KDE3." I tested most of the browsers on this printer, and by far and away the most readable, highest quality WYSIWYG printing was from Netscape. But that's not what this printer is designed for. For documentation and online manuals, it's hard to beat. It's very fast, quiet and smooth. Contrary to another user's report, I found the paper tray well constructed and easy to insert. It's strength was evidenced by finding my 10lb (near 5 kg) house cat sitting on it one afternoon. As far as the rendering speed is concerned, I think it's fine. HP advertises a 10 second print time for this machine, and as long as you're not using Konqueror, I was able to meet this time consistently. If the user selects "GreyScale" instead of color for their particular application, the time takes a drastic nosedive to 2-3 seconds, with the same image on the page as you would have seen if you had selected "Color" instead. This 10 second time was also verified by another 1200 user running SUSE 7.3. If this printer takes longer to print, it's apparently not the internal rendering logic at fault, but the browser or application used instead. [...] I think recommending this printer to others is a safe bet. It is working perfectly, and as long as I use it for what it's intended, it does it's job quickly and quietly. [...] People who want to print graphics would probably not select a LaserJet of any variety, unless it's for proofing. And then, it becomes a function of the application that creates and sends the job to the printer that determines what comes out on the page. This I have proven after all these tests. I would also say that I used the CUPS printing system for the majority of my testing, and it seems to work fine. There was no bad test results that I achieved that I could attribute to the CUPS system itself. Usually, with Netscape, Mozilla, Adobe Acrobat, etc, I would specify "qtcups" as the print command. Using "lpr" worked as well with no discernible difference. I give "two thumbs up" for this printer for sure, and because of the $399 price tag, I can now justify the speed and cost-per-page advantage of owning a high-volume LaserJet for home use.

0aad45d008