Not Sure if this will work for me.

Melissa Singh

Jul 10, 2020, 10:14:33 AM7/10/20
to PartKeepr Users
Hi everyone I am a parts room manager for a small plant. I need something other than this horrid excel sheet I have been using and updating myself.

I found Partkeepr online, but I also found other programs that can possibly also work.

I am looking for a program that:

Once employees the bin they can sign items out. Sometimes the employee has to sign out multiple items at a time. It is important to me that I know who took the item, what they are signing out, how much of the item is taken, for what line#, and if I should reorder these items and the item quantity needed.

I see in the demo there is an ability to add comments when an item is removed from stock. However on the version I installed I don't see that? Is there a way to add this option or make a dropdown that they can select from?

ITEM DETAILS Each item has a location, a bin #, an internal item #, a name, an item category, a manufacturer (could be multiple), a manufacturer # (could be multiple),* a minimum quantity, a maximum quantity, an "on hand" quantity, a unit cost, cost center, Project #, Machine, supplier (could be multiple), supplier**, and a notes section. I would also like to add a few photos of the item if possible *Items also may have an OEM, OEM Part#, a cross reference #, or need to be identified as critical consumable, asset inventory, and cost savings **suppliers have a supplier number, contact information, and isn status.

Is it possible to add extra fields to these items?

REPORTING I need sign out reports for all items in a day, week, month Items Requested Items under Maximum Qty/Reorder Item Items marked critical Items marked as assets Items marked cost savings, Items by Machine # I will have additional reports.

Is it possible to get all that from Partkeepr?

I have checked other programs like Inventoria, Part Finder, and Almyta Inventory, but I do like the ease of use of pPartkeepr. Most of the people here are not very good with computers so I wanted to eliminate a lot of navigating. Right now they hit cntrl+f in the spreadsheet and search for items and sign them out on paper, but that isn't working well for me.

I am able to lower my expectations for reporting, but I also wanted to see how many reports I can eliminate manually doing.

Thanks

Christian Wolf

Jul 12, 2020, 2:58:56 AM7/12/20
to partkee...@googlegroups.com
Hello Melissa,

> [...]
>
> Once employees the bin they can sign items out. Sometimes the employee has
> to sign out multiple items at a time. It is important to me that I know who
> took the item, what they are signing out, how much of the item is taken,
> for what line#, and if I should reorder these items and the item quantity
> needed.
>
> I see in the demo there is an ability to add comments when an item is
> removed from stock. However on the version I installed I don't see that? Is
> there a way to add this option or make a dropdown that they can select from?

I just checked my private instance and as well on the demo page. These seem to
be identical in this functionality: There is a free-form comment field.
What version of PK are you having installed? (See View -> System Information)

Adding a dropdown is something completely different. This might need some quite
development effort, so this is most probably out of scope (see below).

> ITEM DETAILS Each item has a location, a bin #, an internal item #, a name,
> an item category, a manufacturer (could be multiple), a manufacturer #
> (could be multiple),* a minimum quantity, a maximum quantity, an "on hand"
> quantity, a unit cost, cost center, Project #, Machine, supplier (could be
> multiple), supplier**, and a notes section. I would also like to add a few
> photos of the item if possible *Items also may have an OEM, OEM Part#, a
> cross reference #, or need to be identified as critical consumable, asset
> inventory, and cost savings **suppliers have a supplier number, contact
> information, and isn status.
>
> Is it possible to add extra fields to these items?

There are multiple problems here.

First, PartKeepr is intended to be used as an inventory software to manage
electronical components. The meta data you are requesting to be supported is
most probably not needed for most of the current users.
Best way to support something the like is to implement a plugin system> This
is on the long-term schedule but not implemented yet. Also the plugin you
would require would need to be implemented.

Here we come to point two: The current state of the project is mostly stalled.
See https://github.com/partkeepr/PartKeepr/issues/1059. There are some private
persons trying to hold up things but the time is very limited here.
The most important part at the moment is to update the dependencies to make
the PartKeepr version compatible with recent software/PHP versions. Until this
is done, probably no more features are going to be implemented or bugs solved.

> REPORTING I need sign out reports for all items in a day, week, month Items
> Requested Items under Maximum Qty/Reorder Item Items marked critical Items
> marked as assets Items marked cost savings, Items by Machine # I will have
> additional reports.
>
> Is it possible to get all that from Partkeepr?

See above.

> I have checked other programs like Inventoria, Part Finder, and Almyta
> Inventory, but I do like the ease of use of pPartkeepr. Most of the people
> here are not very good with computers so I wanted to eliminate a lot of
> navigating. Right now they hit cntrl+f in the spreadsheet and search for
> items and sign them out on paper, but that isn't working well for me.
>
> I am able to lower my expectations for reporting, but I also wanted to see
> how many reports I can eliminate manually doing.

As I already stated this is not the main goal of this project So,
unfortunately, I am unable to help you further at the moment and I am not able
to hold up with your hopes. I just wanted to give you my personal but honest
thoughts on the topics.

Christian