Compilation error

Jorg Donde

Apr 6, 2019, 7:44:50 PM4/6/19
to partiview
When compiling partiview, I get the following error:

partibrains.c: In function ‘specks_init’:
partibrains.c:867:16: error: ‘HUGE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
   st->utmin = -HUGE;
                ^~~~
partibrains.c:867:16: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [<builtin>: partibrains.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jorg/opt/partiview/src'
make: *** [Makefile:119: depended] Error 2

And, naturally, compilation fails. libfltk = 1.3.5. Should I use an earlier version?

Peter Teuben

Apr 6, 2019, 9:38:43 PM4/6/19
to part...@googlegroups.com

I suspect on your system HUGE is not present where we think it should be.  I've seen this error before, I don't recall if that was in partiview or somewhere else. I was in a hurry to get it running, so I cheated and did

#ifndef HUGE

#define HUGE  1e38

#endif

which is probably as good as anything else. However, on my ubuntu 18.04 I see it in math.h, which is included by partibrains, but yet I get the same error as you. I did notice their method of defining HUGE was changed between Ubuntu16 and Ubuntu18 :-(

As for libfltk, you can try installing it with your package manager, in the past I've had more luck manually installing it.  The configure file claims 1.1.x is the minimum version you need. I was able to install it (with some struggles too) on either my Ubuntu18 or 16 system, but now I can't find evidence of this :-(

peter

Jurgen Thorn

Apr 7, 2019, 3:18:39 PM4/7/19
to part...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! That worked. (NB: I am on Debian Buster).