Compilation issue on CentOS 6.4

Rupesh Mandke

Oct 21, 2014, 8:41:46 AM10/21/14
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to compile partio ( for the first time! ) from the source on CentOS 6.4. The main reason for compiling from source and not using the pre-compiled version is the requirement of GLIBC_2.14.

After going through pretty straight forward method of cmake & make, i am getting following error :

Linking CXX static library ../../lib/libpartio.a
[ 58%] Built target partio
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/partattr
../../lib/libpartio.a(
ParticleIO.o): In function `Partio::readers()':
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1c75): undefined reference to `Partio::readBGEO(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1cbf): undefined reference to `Partio::readBGEO(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1d9f): undefined reference to `Partio::readPDB(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1dec): undefined reference to `Partio::readPDB32(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1f50): undefined reference to `Partio::readPDB64(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x1f9a): undefined reference to `Partio::readPDA(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x2034): undefined reference to `Partio::readPTC(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x2422): undefined reference to `Partio::readBGEO(char const*, bool)'
ParticleIO.cpp:(.text+0x256e): undefined reference to `Partio::readBGEO(char const*, bool)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/partattr] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/tools/CMakeFiles/
partattr.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

After bit digging, it seems that this happens during readers() function inside ParticleIO.cpp file. For testing, I changed static bool initialized = true from false, after which it did compile fine, but obviously as these readers are not registered, compiled executables did not work.

Can you please pin point to the exact issue if I am missing out on anything here? I am using codebase from "Master" branch of partio repository.

CentOS : 6.4
gcc (GCC) 4.4.7

Thanks,
Rupesh.

Andrew Selle

Oct 22, 2014, 5:20:12 PM10/22/14
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Can you give it a shot in debug mode, and let me know if that works. It might be the optimizer optimizing out the registration function because the new compiler is "smarter."

Scott W. Greenwald

Nov 13, 2015, 7:33:46 AM11/13/15
to partio-discuss
I'm running into this on Ubuntu 14.04, and debug does not help

Andrew Selle

Nov 13, 2015, 7:57:03 AM11/13/15
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Can you post your full build command and log... are you using scons or are you using cmake.
I just tried on Ubuntu 14.04 and the stock version compiled fine for me... I did

cd partio
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../
make -j 32

Are you using a different branch than the main Disney branch?

-A

Stefan Reinhardt

Nov 16, 2015, 4:36:32 PM11/16/15
to partio-discuss
I tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 and i got a problem with SeExpression.h
I get this error

In file included from /home/stefan/work/hlrs/sph-fluids/repo/include/partio/build/src/py/partioPYTHON_wrap.cxx:3061:0:
/home/stefan/work/hlrs/sph-fluids/repo/include/partio/src/py/PartioSe.h:36:26: fatal error: SeExpression.h: No such file or directory
 #include <SeExpression.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [src/py/CMakeFiles/_partio.dir/partioPYTHON_wrap.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/py/CMakeFiles/_partio.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Did i miss something?
I don't need the python lib either...

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Stefan

Andrew Selle

Nov 20, 2015, 9:32:17 AM11/20/15
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
If you don't want the python library just comment out the add_subdirectory(py) from the top level cmakelists.txt

-A