PartIO Maya 2016

ytsejam1976

May 1, 2015, 4:13:23 PM5/1/15
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
It would be great have PartIO for Maya 2016 release. I understand is a lot of work and time.
Ciao

Jason Huang

May 13, 2015, 5:58:58 PM5/13/15
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Agree! Actually, before that, do you or John have the Partio compiled for Maya 2015? I thinking about using it for modeling with faster interactivity if I can see the PartioiVisualizer result in Maya 2015 viewport 2.0...

cheers,
Jason

Michael Fisher

Mar 17, 2016, 2:25:25 PM3/17/16
to partio-discuss
I have source and build for Partio for Win64. If you still need it.

Michael Fisher

Mar 17, 2016, 2:25:25 PM3/17/16
to partio-discuss
If you still need this for Maya 2015 I have compiled it for windows 64 bit. I've installed it as a module on our network. It works but we haven't used it much as yet.

Jason Huang

Mar 17, 2016, 2:28:11 PM3/17/16
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael. I've moved onto Maya 2016...Have you been using other plug-in/tool to replace the Partio as you mentioned you haven't used it much lately?

Michael Fisher

Mar 17, 2016, 11:02:02 PM3/17/16
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
I have build and source for 2016 -- mostly. Since Redpawfx hasn't updated code for the plugin in 11 months, there seems to be issues with 2016: you can only view partio icons and particles in a non-Viewport 2.0 viewport. I don't need to do anything with viewport 2.0 -- I'm using partio4maya to export various particle formats into other applications. This means I can't spend the time on coding the graphics for VP2.0.

The code is mostly the same as redpawfx. I had to tweak a cpp file for it to build properly with VS2012 -- but only a few lines. I also hard-coded Maya 2016 into the cmake file (that file kept using 2015 so I punted and hard-coded). You can see my diffs in the repo: g...@github.com:mdfisher/partio.git

If you clone my repo, you should make sure to set your branch to redpawfx_SP (my branch derived from redpaw's). You can diff those 2 branches and see all my changes.

The binaries are here on Dropbox. The Dropbox link expires in 7 days.

The Dropbox files are in the form of a Maya module.You can place the mod file in any path defined by the MAYA_MODULE_PATH env var. Make sure to place the path to the PARTIO directory within the mod file. All plugins, scripts and icons will automatically populate. A shelf should auto create as well.

With that source code, you should be able to generate the Visual Studio solution and project files for VS2012.  Then you can just open the solution and build partio4maya in Visual Studio 2012 -- as long as you have the 2016 Maya lib and included dirs plugged into VS2012. Make sure to uncompress the files in the winReqLibs

As for what I use: I don't use anything other than partio4maya for this multi-exporting task. It's the best solution I've found so far. The only reason I haven't used much it because I haven't needed to use other DCC apps or particle plugins of late.

Michael Fisher

Mar 18, 2016, 10:47:22 PM3/18/16
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
I've changed the repo name. Mainly so I can fork other partio repos.

It's now:

g...@github.com:mdfisher/partio_redpaw.git

Michael Fisher

Jason Huang

Mar 21, 2016, 3:11:39 PM3/21/16
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, Michael. I haven't done any of the technical stuff you mentioned before so it could be a bit challenging for me to figure all this out for the time I can afford on this.

When I used Partio, it was more for low poly modeling of set reconstruction based on meshed LIDAR data. I had more viewport performance issue from LIDAR mesh than Partio particles. Now that I know one can use GPU cache for high poly count LIDAR mesh in Maya 2016, I am hoping Maya has an elegant solution for displaying color point cloud data in its viewport than let users rely on 3rd party plugin.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Michael Fisher <mdfis...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Michael Fisher

Mar 23, 2016, 10:42:22 AM3/23/16
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. The shortest-path solution is always best. Unfortunately for me, my shortest path involves a lot of development.

Jorge Ivanovich

Jan 7, 2017, 5:00:22 PM1/7/17
to partio-discuss
I Michael,could you post the compiled version for Maya 2016??? Thanks!!!

Jorge Ivanovich

Mar 22, 2017, 4:00:28 PM3/22/17
to partio-discuss
Here 2016

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 11:42:22 AM UTC-3, Michael Fisher wrote:
partio4Maya2016.rar

Guy Dubost

Jul 26, 2018, 10:28:05 AM7/26/18
to partio-discuss
Hi Guys , where can i find the sources partio4Maya and Arnold ?
Thx

John Cassella

Jul 30, 2018, 1:55:28 PM7/30/18
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
the current repo is here.    check out the  "redpawfx"  branch.. the  "big disney merge"   branch is  only half  done at the moment.

https://github.com/redpawfx/partio

Guy Dubost

marcel.m...@brownbagfilms.com

Aug 18, 2018, 3:29:39 PM8/18/18
to partio-discuss
Hi I am having trouble with PartIO for Maya 2016 it just wont load, I keep getting and error when trying to load the plugin in Plug-in Manager "// Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found."
Am I missing something?

Guy Dubost

Aug 20, 2018, 1:27:57 PM8/20/18
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
I had the same on windows. It misses something.

Le sam. 18 août 2018 à 13:29, <marcel.m...@brownbagfilms.com> a écrit :
Hi I am having trouble with PartIO for Maya 2016 it just wont load, I keep getting and error when trying to load the plugin in Plug-in Manager "// Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found."
Am I missing something?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

John Cassella

Aug 21, 2018, 12:42:15 PM8/21/18
to partio-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately its been a while since I compiled for  windows at this point,  but I believe that there is something missing from the config for visual studio  that fhat causes this.
I think its in the linking, where you have to force windows to register  things  defined  in  plugin.cpp   stuff somehow.   I don't have windows in front of me right now, and  cannot find anything in the cmake  files at the moment.
Sorry..  Will try to look it up later when I get home  if I can.

-johnc