Catholic Culture: Liturgical Day Preview for June 29th

1 view

Liturgical Year

Jun 29, 2024, 1:04:00 AM (yesterday) Jun 29
to pars...@googlegroups.com
Preview for June 29th: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles

CatholicCulture.org Email Header Image

Visit the Ordinary Time Workshop - Visit the June Overview page

Preview for June 29th: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles

Readings for this day on the USCCB website

Collect:

Vigil, Sts. Peter and Paul: Grant, we pray, O Lord our God, that we may be sustained by the intercession of the blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, that, as through them you gave your Church the foundations of her heavenly office, so through them you may help her to eternal salvation. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever.

Mass During the Day, Sts. Peter and Paul: O God, who on the Solemnity of the Apostles Peter and Paul give us the noble and holy joy of this day, grant, we pray, that your Church may in all things follow the teaching of those through whom she received the beginnings of right religion. Through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever.

Visit our website for more information about this day, including reflections, lives of the saints, prayers, activities, and recipes.

Today the Church universally celebrates the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles (d. 64-67). This is a holyday of obligation in some countries. Veneration of the two great Apostles, Saints Peter and Paul, has its roots in the very foundations of the Church. They are the solid rock on which the Church is built, the origin of her faith and will forever remain her protectors and her guides. To them Rome owes her true greatness, for it was under God's providential guidance that they were led to make the capital of the Empire, sanctified by their martyrdom, the center of the Christian world whence should radiate the preaching of the Gospel.

St. Peter suffered martyrdom under Nero, in A.D. 66 or 67. He was buried on the hill of the Vatican where recent excavations have revealed his tomb on the very site of the Basilica of St. Peter's. St. Paul was beheaded in the Via Ostia on the spot where now stands the basilica bearing his name. Down the centuries Christian people in their thousands have gone on pilgrimage to the tombs of these Apostles. In the second and third centuries the Roman Church already stood pre-eminent by reason of her apostolicity, the infallible truth of her teaching and her two great figures, Sts. Peter and Paul.

A partial indulgence may be gained today by anyone who makes devout use of a religious article blessed by any priest but "if the article of devotion has been blessed by the Sovereign Pontiff or by any Bishop, the faithful, using it, can also gain a plenary indulgence, provided they also make a profession of faith (e.g. the Apostles Creed), as long as the usual conditions are satisfied.

See Catholic Culture's special section for the Year of St. Paul which was celebrated June 29, 2008—June 29, 2009. Continue reading on our website.

Take Our Tour

St. Peter

Peter's original name was Simon. Christ Himself gave him the name Cephas or Peter when they first met and later confirmed it. This name change was meant to show both Peter's rank as leader of the apostles and the outstanding trait of his character — Peter (in Hebrew Kephas) the Rock. Peter was born in Bethsaida on the Sea of Galilee. Like his younger brother Andrew, he was a fisherman and dwelt... Continue reading on the website.

Looking Ahead to the Next Seven Days

Donate
Every contribution counts!
RCBrand Merchandise
RCBrand Merchandise
Subscribe
Get our other newsletters.

To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe, click Adjust Email Newsletter Settings.

www.CatholicCulture.org - Email: con...@catholicculture.org

Trinity Communications - P0 Box 27, New York, NY 10021-0030, USA

[Sent to pars...@googlegroups.com]