NEWS: Project launched to conserve sun parakeets in Karasabai (Guyana)

GrrlScientist

Oct 2, 2022, 3:02:50 AMOct 2
to parrot-spec...@googlegroups.com

good news!

"In partnership with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), One Earth Conservation (OEC) has launched a project to conserve sun parakeets in Karasabai, an indigenous village located near to Brazil.

 A statement by the US Embassy said that a team from USFWS recently visited Guyana to participate in a Parrot Conservation Workshop organized by OEC and the University of Guyana. The six-day workshop used a combination of theory and practice with an emphasis on safe practices and procedures."

Project launched to conserve sun parakeets in Karasabai (Guyana)

GrrlScientist
Words: Forbes
Curator: @ParrotsGroup
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt. [Virgil, Aeneid]

LoraKim

Oct 3, 2022, 4:47:53 AMOct 3
to Parrot Researchers Group
Dear All,

  We give thanks to the US Fish and Wildlife service who have supported us for years with the sun parakeets, and finally got to visit us.  This is a project that seeks to conserve the endangered parakeet, while also growing the very viable ecotourism in the area.  In the  meantime, we have learned so many really interesting things about this parakeet where very little was known about them in the wild. Next week we will publish preliminary results (on a blog at One Earth  Conservation ) that we presented at a workshop in Georgetown, Guyana last month.  These birds drive us crazy with their behavior, which is so far from in my experience an amazon or macaw would do.

  Yours,

    LoraKim Joyner

Pat Latas

Oct 3, 2022, 1:01:57 PMOct 3
to Parrot Researchers Group
AWESOME!!!
Yes they are so very different from the big taxa.