ICU for Rakudo on Debian

Allison Randal

Mar 22, 2012, 12:10:38 PM3/22/12
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
The Debian Rakudo packagers are requesting that ICU be made a
requirement for the Debian Parrot packages. They're trying to build nqp
from source and it fails tests without ICU. I have a couple of questions
around this:

- I hate adding extra dependencies, but I also tend to lean toward
supporting whatever languages need from the Parrot packages. Anyone see
any problem with requiring ICU for Parrot on Debian?

- We're currently shipping a version of NQP pre-built in Parrot. If
people are building nqp from source separately (or just installing it
from packages), can we drop that pre-built version from the Parrot repo?

Allison

Andrew Whitworth

Mar 22, 2012, 12:19:55 PM3/22/12
to Allison Randal, parro...@lists.parrot.org
For the record, I'm in favor of making ICU a requirement for building
Parrot, not an optional add-on. Eventually when we realize that
seamless built-in unicode support is a core selling point for Parrot,
I think we will want to make that change. I'm perfectly happy with
making it a dependency for Parrot's package on Debian and anywhere
else.

The version of NQP we're shipping with Parrot now is the older NQP-rx.
I think we're building it as the "parrot-nqp" binary. This version is
used for some things in the core repo and for some older HLLs. The new
6model-powered version is called simply "NQP" and is not shipped with
the Parrot repo. Eventually our plan is to eliminate NQP-rx and
replace it with the new NQP (maybe even snapshotting it into the
Parrot repo), but we aren't there yet.

--Andrew Whitworth

Allison Randal

Mar 22, 2012, 1:04:22 PM3/22/12
to Andrew Whitworth, parro...@lists.parrot.org
On 03/22/2012 09:19 AM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> For the record, I'm in favor of making ICU a requirement for building
> Parrot, not an optional add-on. Eventually when we realize that
> seamless built-in unicode support is a core selling point for Parrot,
> I think we will want to make that change. I'm perfectly happy with
> making it a dependency for Parrot's package on Debian and anywhere
> else.

Okay, sounds fine. ICU is 33 MB installed, compared to Parrot's < 2MB
install size. Not a big deal for the average Debian install, but
definitely something to keep in mind for making it a universal requirement.

> The version of NQP we're shipping with Parrot now is the older NQP-rx.
> I think we're building it as the "parrot-nqp" binary. This version is
> used for some things in the core repo and for some older HLLs. The new
> 6model-powered version is called simply "NQP" and is not shipped with
> the Parrot repo. Eventually our plan is to eliminate NQP-rx and
> replace it with the new NQP (maybe even snapshotting it into the
> Parrot repo), but we aren't there yet.

So nqp-rx is an old, unmaintained library? I'll probably just drop it
from the Debian packages. And, didn't NQP replace some combination of
PCT/PGE? Can any of that be dropped?

In the age of packaging, there's not much point in bundling a bunch of
stuff in the base tarball, it's just so easy to pull in external
dependencies.

Allison

Brian Gernhardt

Mar 22, 2012, 1:08:27 PM3/22/12

On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Allison Randal wrote:

> So nqp-rx is an old, unmaintained library? I'll probably just drop it
> from the Debian packages. And, didn't NQP replace some combination of
> PCT/PGE? Can any of that be dropped?

nqp-rx is still the primary way to create grammars and languages. Too much of our documentation uses it for us to drop it, I think. NQP uses PCT, but it may very well have replaced PGE.

~~benabik

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

Mar 22, 2012, 2:50:51 PM3/22/12
to Allison Randal, parro...@lists.parrot.org
Howdy,

> Okay, sounds fine. ICU is 33 MB installed, compared to Parrot's < 2MB
> install size. Not a big deal for the average Debian install, but
> definitely something to keep in mind for making it a universal requirement.

I am hesitant to make ICU a hard dependency, because it may not be available on
mobile/embedded systems and/or people may not want to use it because it adds
too much to the memory footprint. Anybody have data on the memory footprint
of a Parrot interp with and without ICU?

On the other hand, this may be what we need to justify having "flavors" of
Parrot. At the least, we need a "desktop" flavor and an "embedded" flavor.

The "desktop" flavor could basically be the "embedded" flavor with
more libraries/etc thrown in.

I envision that we will then show people how we built each flavor and give them
the tools to build their own Parrot flavors. I see this as a key differentiator
and killer feature.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jona...@leto.net>