tools/dev/create_language.pl, tools/dev/all_hll_test.pl contain no longer functional code

James E Keenan

Mar 17, 2012, 8:35:44 AM3/17/12
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
In https://github.com/parrot/parrot/issues/736 and
https://github.com/parrot/parrot/issues/737, Parth Malwankar reported
problems using tools/dev/create_language.pl. Reviewing these tickets
last night, I realized that the documentation in that file was either
seriously outdated -- references to Subversion as our version control
system -- or outright wrong -- mention of
'--parrot-config=[/path/to/configfile]' as a command-line option to
Configure.pl. There is no mention of a '--parrot-config' option in
either Configure.pl or lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Conf.pm.

#####
$ perl Configure.pl --parrot-config==/home/jkeenan/foobar
Invalid option "parrot-config". See "perl Configure.pl --help" for valid
options
#####

Further ack-ing turned up more problems:

* docs/pdds/pdd30_install.pod contains an instruction to use 'perl
Configure.pl --parrot-config=/path/to/parrot_config'.

* tools/dev/all_hll_test.pl also contains code with this non-existent
option: '"configure" => [qq<perl Configure.pl
--parrot-config=$install_dir/bin/parrot_config>],'.

* tools/dev/all_hll_test.pl also contains code with a different
non-existent option: '"configure" => [qq<perl Configure.pl
--with-parrot=$install_dir/bin/parrot>],'.

#####
$ perl Configure.pl --with-parrot=/home/jkeenan/foobar
Invalid option "--with-parrot". See "perl Configure.pl --help" for valid
options
#####

Now, since create_language.pl and all_hll_test.pl were written by major
Parrot contributors, they presumably did work at some time in the past.
So, before dropping them from the distribution, I'd like to ask both
their original authors (pmichaud and cotto, respectively) and current
contributors to take a look at them and see if there are relatively
quick fixes we can make.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan