Hooray for compiler flags

1 view

Andy Lester

Mar 17, 2012, 2:31:48 AM3/17/12
to parrot-dev Mailing List
I've been adding more and more compiler flags for safety. I know some of 'em are breaking the builds, but I think that when we get through with it, Parrot will be much safer.

Example: I added a flag that makes it an error to call a function for which there has been no declaration. Imagine that, right? Apparently we've never had this error on before. So it turns out that on BSD we were calling pthread_sigmask() without ever having #included a declaration. Here's the failure: http://tt.taptinder.org/cmdinfo/72837 The fix: Add an include on pthread.h, and all is happy.

So here's hoping that these more stringent compile settings prevent more bugs in the future, catching them as compile failures rather than having weird stuff turn up when they build incorrectly.

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

Mar 17, 2012, 4:40:13 PM3/17/12
to Andy Lester, parrot-dev Mailing List
Howdy,

Thanks for this awesome work, Andy. I have added a summary of the new
compiler flags to the ChangeLog.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jona...@leto.net>