Protologisms

Mohan K.V

Nov 19, 2009, 4:12:47 PM11/19/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time, South Indian English is commatose.

A little bit of googling revealed that people thought Victorian English was clausetrophobic.

There's apparently a special kind of neologism called protologism. A neologism is already in currency, while a protologism just has potential. The wiki page on protologisms is huge: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:List_of_protologisms

There are some truly inspired ones, like:
ab-dicate:To give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach
acrosstic:'acrostic variation in which nth letter in nth line is significant'
cashtration: Financial impotency resulting from a major purchase.
delhigate:"Getting others to do the work"
Deutschbag: A German douchebag

Reminds me of the 'add/remove/change one letter to make a new word' contests, which gave us 'intaxication' (the euphoria at getting a tax refund, that lasts till you realize it was your money to begin with), and 'sarchasm' (the cognitive gap between...).

[There's an interesting problem, though. Most of the items on the list are rather dull. Plus, more are added to the list every day. How is one to extract the good ones? One possible way is to crowdsource it; make a script that scrapes the page ever so often, grab the data, put in a simple voting system like bash.org. A few lines of Python? ]

Mohan K.V

Nov 19, 2009, 4:14:03 PM11/19/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Plus, there should be some way of differentiating text that is punny and so is intended to be scanned carefully, and plain orthonomasiac comments.

Sandeep Makam

Nov 20, 2009, 6:21:35 AM11/20/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com

Tony Sebastian

Nov 21, 2009, 1:25:06 AM11/21/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few of my own neologisms

Abdomenable : Unequivocally fat and disgusting.

Saridonic : Possessing such biting sarcasm which gives the listener a headache.

Aftermath: The result of a disastrous math test.

Sexpensive : When one contemplates not going to an exotic hooker because it costs too much.

Condominimum: An apartment with barely enough room.

Feedback: When you make the chef eat his own unpalatable cooking.

Soothsayer (Language of origin -Tamil) :One who talks out of his ass.

Couch potato: A bean bag.

Withdrawal symptoms: Frequently taking out cash from the ATM for booze to get over your ex.

Peer pressure: The urge/tendency to take a leak when someone tells you he is going to take one.

Buy-curious: When you can't decide between two products and decide to try both.

Purse one's lips: Pay someone to shut him up.

Bill-Gates: Controversies involving a lot of Dollar notes.

Party Animal: The Democratic Donkey, or the Republican Elephant.

Blogal Warming: The rise in temperature of the computer because the user browses too many blogs.

Sunny disposition: The bowlers' frame of mind when they dismiss Gavaskar.

Sitter: An easy chair.

Window shopping: Buying a product through Internet Explorer.

Mind your Ps and Qs : Follow ethics when you have to wait in line to take a leak.
Canonball: A blast (party) in the Vatican.

Me-me: A cultural pattern created by a Narcissist.

Foolproof: The percentage strength of alcohol that will make you act like an idiot.

Shoevinism : Fanatical support expressed by throwing footwear at someone.

Gramma' queen: Someone who makes a fuss when Queen's English is not used.

Tangenital: What happens when you sunbathe on a nude beach.

Yellow Pages (n): Where you can find important information, also called Post-it notes.

Stagnation : When population growth comes to a standstill because there are too many single men in the country.

Tony Sebastian

priya venkateshan

Nov 21, 2009, 1:30:07 AM11/21/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
nice!

Tony Sebastian

Nov 21, 2009, 1:43:52 AM11/21/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Thank you :)
Tony Sebastian

Mohan K.V

Nov 21, 2009, 11:20:20 AM11/21/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Gramma' queen, brilliant!

priya venkateshan

Nov 21, 2009, 12:54:25 PM11/21/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Mistry: When no one can understand the reason behind the success of a product which is only a demo and which will take a good while to come to reality.
(inspired from mohan's post: http://mohankv.blogspot.com/2009/11/bb1-stuff-internet-savvy-people-like.html )

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 24, 2009, 1:01:20 AM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
But if the presentation is neat, and a hype is created. Isn't it a
'democracy'? - people would say 'the demo rules' :-)

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>

> --

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

Mohan K.V

Nov 24, 2009, 1:03:19 AM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
But if the presentation is neat, and a hype is created. Isn't it a
'democracy'?           - people would say 'the demo rules' :-)

that is BLOODY brilliant!

Mohan K.V

Nov 24, 2009, 2:37:39 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
How do you disparagingly call a poet who apes Kalidasa and has an insatiable craving for chicken? Kapiratna Kolidasa!

(This was also used to mock a certain famous Kannada film, but saying this aloud in public in certain areas of Bangalore is 786 times more dangerous than distributing the Danish prophet cartoons in Mecca)

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 24, 2009, 10:51:29 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Kalidasa was surely an engineer. He'd already ported xmpp messengers
on the clouds. :-)
> --

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

Mahesh Mahadevan

Nov 24, 2009, 10:53:23 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Kalidasa's thoughts were fairly volatile. He decided that the message
had to be condensed, and thus came MeghadUta.

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 24, 2009, 10:58:27 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
It was initially meant to be tiny robots to do the romantic data
transfers. But MicrodUta started sounding like a cheap courier
service.

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 24, 2009, 11:00:10 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Also the lasvegas scene in mahabharata, was it the mega-dyoota?
--
Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

Shreevatsa R

Nov 24, 2009, 11:03:03 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Abhishek Upadhya <abhishe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kalidasa was surely an engineer. He'd already ported xmpp messengers
on the clouds. :-)

Clearly: he also used a token ring for authentication.
He was also a good cook; there's a verse praising his upma.

Mahesh Mahadevan

Nov 24, 2009, 11:06:11 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
This is irrelevant with reference to the thread, but I couldn't resist
posting...

A Python programmer was trying to overload a function (in the verbose
form, of course) and was curious as to what comment to leave in the
function body. Without much hesitation, he overcame the block and
wrote "Pun indented."

Mohan K.V

Nov 24, 2009, 11:12:35 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of spoonerisms, here's one I found on bash.org: "Apparently some museum did a Salvador Dali exhibit a while back. After it was up for like, a month, it came out that half of the paintings were fakes! And at first I was all, damn, shouldn't someone have caught on to that right away? Then I realized. After all, NO ONE INSPECTS THE SPANISH EXPOSITION!"

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 24, 2009, 11:14:45 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
That upma joke was totally an-upama.like, totally :-) .
Salutes.

On 11/25/09, Mahesh Mahadevan <maheshmaha...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

Mahesh Mahadevan

Nov 24, 2009, 11:19:43 PM11/24/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
KVM, what a brilliant find from bash! On a non-Spooneristic attempt, I
would put it the way the Tamilian did in Germany - bäsh!
(pronunciation note)

priya venkateshan

Nov 25, 2009, 12:40:01 AM11/25/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
is a shy, introverted linux programmer said to be bashful?

SAI GANESH

Nov 25, 2009, 6:27:29 AM11/25/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
He was more an ingeniouer, considering he did it that long ago :)
R.Sai Ganesh
sai0.blogspot.com

Shreevatsa R

Nov 25, 2009, 7:24:51 AM11/25/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM, priya venkateshan <priy...@gmail.com> wrote:
is a shy, introverted linux programmer said to be bashful?

Yes, and it's likely he shell also be called grumpy and dopey. But you already gnu that.

Mahesh Mahadevan

Nov 27, 2009, 2:17:20 AM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Grammer nazi (n) - a person who cannot tolerate incorrect references
to 'Cheers' and 'Frasier.'

priya venkateshan

Nov 27, 2009, 3:44:55 AM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
capuchino - coffee which stirs you up enough to prance around like a small monkey.

Mohan K.V

Nov 27, 2009, 12:23:31 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Grammer nazi (n) - a person who cannot tolerate incorrect references
to 'Cheers' and 'Frasier.'

I couldn't get much apart from the fact that the actor's name was Kelsey Grammer. Is there more to it?

Anyways, when I saw it, I almost thunk I could invoke Muphry's law!

Speaking of Grammer, there was this stalker way back in the 1850s. He was the patron saint of today's orkut fraandshippers, randomly sending fraandship messages to females. Finally the authorities nabbed him, because GGram, the service he used, did not mask the sender's address. At his arraignment, one charge was 'accosting plaintiff X3 with lewd telegrams, and with bad grammar'. To which his reply was,

"Grammer? I 'ardly knew 'er!"

Mohan K.V

Nov 27, 2009, 12:24:52 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
capuchino - coffee which stirs you up enough to prance around like a small monkey.

I don't get it - please explain.

Shreevatsa R

Nov 27, 2009, 12:36:50 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Cappuccino is a kind of coffee.
Capuchin monkey is a kind of monkey.

[As it happens, both cappuccino and capuchin monkeys are named after the Capuchin friars, so the pun was already intended. :p]

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 27, 2009, 12:38:25 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey

and I'd the same reply as shreevatsa, about the friars.
Hurrah for gmail "Update Conversation"

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Mohan K.V <kvm....@gmail.com> wrote:
capuchino - coffee which stirs you up enough to prance around like a small monkey.

I don't get it - please explain.

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

priya venkateshan

Nov 27, 2009, 1:15:41 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
tragic when that happens... i wanted to put in something about chinos as well, but couldn't see how to fit it in :(

Abhishek Upadhya

Nov 27, 2009, 2:12:53 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Just saw this in a sitcom called 'My Hero'.

A person who discriminates you based on which planet you're from : Spacist.

Mahesh Mahadevan

Nov 27, 2009, 5:23:10 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
KVM, re: Grammer nazi. With 'Cheers' and 'Frasier,' Kelsey Grammer
played the same character for 17 years. You can imagine the Grammer
nazi's devotion to the cause.

Coming to spacist terminology, NASA (in their wildest imagination) had
planned a manned interplanetary mission (going past the Kuiper belt)
some time in the 1960s. An astronaut going on the mission felt that he
would particularly lonely from the length of his missions. He decided
to post a personals ad for a partner to keep him company till he was
out of the outermost planetary orbit. Because of necessary weight
savings and extra thrust, part of the probe in which the partner was,
would be removed on that passing. The title of his ad read "Strictly
Plutonic."

priya venkateshan

Nov 27, 2009, 5:25:08 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
movie with kevin spacey and sissy spacek in it?

Mohan K.V

Nov 27, 2009, 6:11:00 PM11/27/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
LOL, both of 'em!

vinayak kamath

Dec 8, 2009, 11:58:49 AM12/8/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Terminally ill: An engineer's pitiable condition at the end of the day, having worked all day on the command prompt.

Abhishek Upadhya

Dec 8, 2009, 12:19:49 PM12/8/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Previously the macintoshes were powered by running gerbils commanded by the mighty witchdoctor Steve.
Then some chap called Ram got the bright idea of using battering batteries,

Thus was born e-macs.

Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

SAI GANESH

Dec 8, 2009, 12:22:57 PM12/8/09
to paron...@googlegroups.com
This guy does! feel the same.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM, vinayak kamath <kay...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
R.Sai Ganesh
sai0.blogspot.com

Abhishek Upadhya

Jul 19, 2010, 2:18:25 AM7/19/10
to paron...@googlegroups.com
Inspired by the butterflies in the movie Black Dynamite:

Black women in the 70's had such style, such alluring hairdos. You could call them Afro-dites...

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhya

priya venkateshan

Jul 19, 2010, 2:26:50 AM7/19/10
to paron...@googlegroups.com
if some cannibal was on a diet of women with the aforesaid hairdos, because he believed it'd make him more alluring, he is on an afro-diet.