Impeachment?

Rick Smith

Sep 26, 2022, 9:10:55 AM9/26/22
to parklandswatch

The Hill (Washington, DC)

Sunday, September 25/2022 5:16 PM ET

Mace says there is ‘pressure on the Republicans’ to impeach Biden if they win House

BY ZACH SCHONFELD

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) on Sunday said Republicans will face pressure to impeach President Biden if they take the House majority in the midterms.

“I believe there’s a lot of pressure on Republicans to have that vote, to put that legislation forward, and to have that vote,” Mace said of an impeachment vote when asked by NBC “Meet the Press” moderator Chuck Todd.

“I think that is something that some folks are considering,” she continued.

Mace declined to say how she would vote on a potential Biden impeachment, but noted that she did not vote to impeach former President Trump in 2021 because “due process was stripped away.”

“I will not vote for impeachment of any president if I feel that due process has been stripped away for anyone, and I typically vote constitutionally regardless of who’s in power,” she told Todd.

“I want to do the right thing for the long term because this isn’t just about today, tomorrow, this year’s election. This is about the future of democracy. This is about protecting our Constitution.”

Others in Mace’s conference have already taken the first step toward impeaching the president.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) introduced articles of impeachment against Biden the day after his inauguration, accusing him of abuse of power in relation to the business dealings of his son, Hunter Biden, in Ukraine.

House Republican leadership last week released an outline of their agenda if they take the House majority, dubbed “Commitment to America.”

The agenda proposes conducting “rigorous oversight to rein in government abuse of power and corruption,” referencing the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Biden administration’s handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, although it does not detail specifics as to how Republicans would do so.

When pressed on Republicans’ potential plans to impeach Biden, Mace on Sunday said she would prefer to keep the focus on reducing inflation and improving the economy, rather than “chasing that rabbit down the hole.”

“I do believe it’s divisive, which is why I push back on it personally when I hear folks saying they’re going to file articles of impeachment in the House,” she said. “I push back against those comments because we need to be working together.”

Rick Smith

5264 N. Fort Yuma Trail

Tucson, AZ 85750

Cell: 505-259-7161