-E probe multiplier and -r set the return flow identifier flags

Ibrahim Coskun

Mar 23, 2015, 4:20:57 PM3/23/15
to paris-tr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This is Ibrahim Ethem Coskun from University of Nevada, Reno. I'm currently working on a project and we are utilizing from paris-traceroute and modifying it's source code. At some point we needed to set the flow identifier for all probes the same. I mean no matter how many probes I sent to a target, I want the flow identifier for all probes the same (I'm already using hopbyhop algorithm).
My questions are:
1- Is there any flag where you can set the flow identifier to a constant value?
2- what is -E 'probe multiplier' flag doing?
3- what is -r 'set the return flow identifier' flag doing?

Thank you,

Marc-Olivier Buob

Apr 7, 2016, 6:29:46 PM4/7/16
to paris-tr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sorry for this very late answer.

I guess you're talking about the C++ version which is not maintained anymore.

I believe you should rather look how to patch the new MDA or paris-traceroute implementation provided here :

If the flow id remains constant, you should discover a single IP path toward the target IP (this is what we call "paris-traceroute").
If you want to discover the lattice from your vantage point to the target IP, you will rather use MDA, which makes vary the flow id to discover every paths with a fixed confidence.

In the new implementation, choosing mda or paris-traceroute is achieved using the -a (or --algorithm) option.

paris-traceroute --help
paris-traceroute -a mda 8.8.8.8

Best regards,
Marc-Olivier