some questions about paris-traceroute

cgb248

Apr 8, 2014, 2:57:11 PM4/8/14
to paris-tr...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to bother you three is a little doubt.
I can run paris-traceroute to point to point such as  paris-traceroute 1.1.1.1.
I want to know how to use paris-traceroute to get  the topology of an unknown network.
Thanks for guiding me

Marc-Olivier Buob

Apr 9, 2014, 8:03:33 AM4/9/14
to paris-tr...@googlegroups.com, cgb...@163.com

Hello,

paris-traceroute discovers a path toward a given IP : the current version works fine for ipv4 (+tcp, udp, icmpv4) and ipv6 (+tcp, udp, icmpv6).

For further details :

paris-traceroute --help

To run paris-traceroute (with the default parameters) :

paris-traceroute 1.1.1.1

mda discovers the lattice toward a given IP : a version of mda is provided by libparistraceroute which almost works in ipv4.

However this feature is still under development and so is not yet fully supported.

To use this version of mda you must pass option "-a mda" to paris-traceroute.

paris-traceroute -a mda 1.1.1.1

We will have an intern working on mda implementation this summer.

I also know a chinese student working on mda over libparistraceroute.

In the meantime, you could use the legacy version of paris-traceroute written in C++ (and not based on libparistraceroute) and available here [1].

We provide an access to those C++ sources, but we do not maintain them since our priority is developing libparistraceroute and the tools built above.

That's why we encourage people to use and to contribute to the new version of paris-traceroute provided by libparistraceroute.

Best regards,

Marc-Olivier

[1] https://code.google.com/p/paris-traceroute/source/checkout?repo=paris-traceroute-old

matovur...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2018, 3:18:50 AM3/30/18
to Paris Traceroute
I am trying to use paris-traceroute for the first time but i dont get it. I need help with this error....
And possibly the right syntax to use because i have not made any successful trace.

$ paris-traceroute -a mda 8.8.8.8
[WARN](paris-traceroute.cc, 66)Unknown algo (--algo=help for more help)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'TrException'
Exception : [ERROR](Server.cc, 51)Cannot create the server : Operation not permittedAborted (core dumped)

Mando Мандо

May 8, 2018, 12:01:49 PM5/8/18
to Paris Traceroute
I guess that you need to run it as root (this is needed to create raw sockets).

Best regards