Which version of CLM is represented in ParFlow?

Chase Dwelle

Dec 22, 2021, 9:05:03 AM12/22/21
to ParFlow
I looked at the docs but couldn't find a mention of which version of CLM is represented in ParFlow. I'd like to know which physics are/are not represented by referencing the CLM docs.

aurelia yang

Dec 22, 2021, 9:27:57 AM12/22/21
to ParFlow
Hi Chase,

To accommodate the coupling between Parflow and CLM, the CLM in ParFlow-CLM has been edited a lot relative to the origional verision.

Some information is perhaps useful for you to know the physics of CLM in ParFlow-CLM:
1. The history is: 15 September 1999: Yongjiu Dai; Initial code
2. Some papers:
Dai et al., 2003, BAMS, The Common Land Model
Maxwell and Condon, 2016, Science, Connections between groundwater flow and transpiration partitioning (supplementary)
Kollet and Maxwell, 2008, WRR, Capturing the influence of groundwater dynamics on land surface processes using an integrated, distributed watershed model
Kollet and Maxwell, 2006, AWR, Integrated surface-groundwater flow modeling: A free-surface overland flow boundary condition in a parallel groundwater flow model

Hope this can help!

Chen

P.S.: welcome comments from other experts of ParFlow-CLM

Reed M. Maxwell

Dec 22, 2021, 9:36:21 AM12/22/21
to Chen Yang, ParFlow

Hi Chase-

Thanks for your question.  As I think I understand it (it’s a bit cryptic) you want to know about the physics in CLM.

To add to Chen’s great reply, we have carefully documented some (most) of the processes in peer reviewed publications in detail.  Here are some links below.

Snow:

Ryken, A., Bearup, L.A., Jefferson, J., Constantine, P. and Maxwell, R.M. Sensitivity and model reduction of simulated snow processes: contrasting observational and parameter uncertainty to improve prediction. Advances in Water Resources, 135:103473, doi:10.1016/j.advwatres.2019.103473, 2020.

E and T:

Jefferson, J.L., Maxwell, R.M., Constantine, P.G. Exploring the sensitivity of photosynthesis and stomatal resistance parameters in a land surface model. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 18(3):897-915, doi:10.1175/JHM-D-16-0053.1, 2017.

Jefferson, J.L. and Maxwell, R.M. Evaluation of simple to complex parameterizations of bare ground evaporation. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 7, 1-15, doi:10.1002/2014MS000398, 2015.

Ferguson, I.M., Jefferson, J.L., Maxwell, R.M. and Kollet, S.J. Effects of Root Water Uptake Formulation on Simulated Water and Energy Budgets at Local and Basin Scales. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75(15), doi:10.1007/s12665-015-5041-z, 2016.

Coupling:

See the SI of Maxwell and Condon, 2016: https://www.science.org/doi/suppl/10.1126/science.aaf7891/suppl_file/maxwell.sm.pdf

(Maxwell, R.M. and Condon, L.E. Connections between groundwater flow and transpiration partitioning. Science, 353:6297, 377-380, doi:10.1126/science.aaf7891, 2016.)

Hope this helps

Reed

Reed M. Maxwell, Ph.D.
Professor

High Meadows Environmental Institute

Director, Integrated GroundWater Modeling Center

Princeton University

maxwell.princeton.edu

igwmc.princeton.edu

Chase Dwelle

Dec 22, 2021, 10:02:18 AM12/22/21
to ParFlow
Thank you for the quick response. Diving into the references will be very helpful and should give me the information I need.

Best,
Chase